Coronavirus and pro sport

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,703

Gavira confirms he has the virus.

Nah.
    He's using it as an excuse for his totally crap form.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771
    OT but probably indicative.
    This weekend is, normally, a huge gathering of old Volkswagens in Ninove. Its just been cancelled, and probably shows how things will be going over there. Apart from the cafes and bars, its an outdoor event with a few thousand attendees.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    no racing in Belgium until the end of march.

Nokere Koerse (18 march), Bredene Koksijde Classic (20 march),Driedaagse Brugge-De Panne (25 march), E3 BinckBank Classic (27 march) and Gent-Wevelgem (29 march) are all cancelled
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771
    RVV Sportive just canned, too.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • gweeds
    You’d have to think Catalunya will fall next.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • blazing_saddles
    gweeds said:

no racing in Belgium until the end of march.

Nokere Koerse (18 march), Bredene Koksijde Classic (20 march),Driedaagse Brugge-De Panne (25 march), E3 BinckBank Classic (27 march) and Gent-Wevelgem (29 march) are all cancelled

That means no monuments before Liege at the earliest.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    3 Leicester City players self isolating because of symptoms.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,918
    Australian GP postponed now.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    edited March 2020

Australian GP postponed now.

Its not official yet.
    Although it would be nice not to have to work nights all weekend
  • focuszing723
    Wash them hands!
  • gweeds

• gweeds
    Williams have also pulled out now. Just a matter of time before it’s official.

Man. A year with no MSR. No Roubaix. No Flanders.
  • gweeds

Can’t be long before all football is stopped. That 6 Nations game this weekend surely can’t go ahead.

• schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    edited March 2020
    Pro14 suspended indefinitely and Man City v Real Madrid is off.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • blazing_saddles
    edited March 2020
    gweeds said:

Can’t be long before all football is stopped. That 6 Nations game this weekend surely can’t go ahead.

Not sure why you make the distinction between Football and the 6 Nations.
    If the one in Cardiff can't go ahead, then neither can the football.
    The Pro 14 has been suspended. The ATP has gone into hibernation. Most of Europe's football leagues too.

Meanwhile, The Cheltenham Festival happily carries on regardless.
    Can't have the Queen without her favourite sport on the tele.....
  • blazing_saddles
    Hardly the biggest surprise but the Volta a Catalunya has been postponed.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156
    I don't understand the Pro 14 being cancelled, I thought it was only mass social gatherings that were supposed to be affected.

I'll be really annoyed if my marathon in April (same day as London) gets cancelled. I might just stop training now rather than drag myself out on more 20 mile slogs in the wind and rain!
  • gweeds

gweeds said:

Not sure why you make the distinction between Football and the 6 Nations.
    If the one in Cardiff can't go ahead, then neither can the football.
    The Pro 14 has been suspended. The ATP has gone into hibernation. Most of Europe's football leagues too.

Meanwhile, The Cheltenham Festival happily carries on regardless.
    Can't have the Queen without her favourite sport on the tele.....
    I wasn’t.
  • gweeds
  • blazing_saddles
    Seems big crowds at PGA golf tournaments aren't a problem in the USA.
    The Players is going on as if nothing is happening.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    So two huge sporting events are going ahead in Britain. I'm going to one tomorrow and the other is 2 miles from my house. If I'm not in quarantine this time next week, my body may hold the key to a cure.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    A Belgian poster over on VR has just said that Ghent-Wevelgem hasn't been cancelled as yet and left this link.

https://www.lesoir.be/286447/article/2020-03-12/gand-wevelgem-les-organisateurs-veulent-laisser-la-course-se-derouler-sans

The decision to cancel the race or not due to the coronavirus has still not been made.
    The Ghent-Wevelgem organizing committee, KV Het Vliegend Wiel, has yet to hear of a race cancellation on March 29. The board of directors even proposes to organize it with a strict minimum of spectators. Either with areas where the public would not be allowed.
    The coronavirus meetings follow each other. Yesterday we had another meeting, but whether we can organize the race on March 29 is another question. We have absolutely no certainty. We will not decide to cancel, but the authorities. We want our race to take place and we can do it with a minimum number of spectators, ”explained Hans De Clercq, member of the organizing committee of Ghent-Wevelgem.
    We can close the Place d'Ypres, from where the start is given. Only accredited persons could have access to this area. Namely, the runners, the sport directors, the supervisors, and all the other people important for the course of the race. Mount Kemmel can also be closed, as can the finish area in Wevelgem. Only, it is impossible to prohibit public access on the 256.8 km race but it is possible to ensure that the least possible number of people gather in confined places like the start, the finish and Mount Kemmel. Even if we already have 30 different emergency plans ready, the authorities will decide whether the 82nd edition of Ghent-Wevelgem can be rolled out, "concluded Hans De Clercq.

• awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    edited March 2020
    apparently there is track activity happening in Melbourne at the moment, the FIA (though I dont think they are in a position to cancel things by themselves...or more likely theyd get the bill if they did) havent exactly said the race is going ahead, but they havent said it isnt either and track officials have been told to attend for a normal day of track activity.

fwiw I think they could run the race pretty much self contained, if they shut down paddock access just to teams/officials/medics maybe limit the media numbers, whilst the fan numbers sound high, remember they had 85,000 in the MCG just last week and no-one blinked, they are spread out around the whole circuit

whether its a good look for F1 is another matter.

and I dont know if NCAA is considered pro sport or not, but theyve canned their basketball leagues in the states as delayed games wouldnt be completed in the college year, and theyd neatly sort of completed the regular season last week.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

In the League of Ireland, Derry City's home match at Brandywell Stadium, Derry on Friday 13th March is postponed

In the Irish League, Institute's home match at Brandywell Stadium, Derry on Saturday 14th March is still on.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    Pross said:

I don't understand the Pro 14 being cancelled, I thought it was only mass social gatherings that were supposed to be affected.

Rugby Union is all about giving the impression that it's big and popular.

"Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    Mikel Arteta tested positive.

Arsenal can't play on Saturday now surely. How long before football gets suspended for a while?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532

Arsenal can't play on Saturday now surely. How long before football gets suspended for a while?

Not with the whole of the first team being isolated. The way this seems to have affected well known people with access to testing makes me think that the virus must be fairly well spread amongst the less well known without access to testing.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    and theyve finally decided to cancel the Melbourne F1 race,probably a decision helped as a few f1 drivers had already popped on planes home, though the rest of the racing activities seem to be going ahead but with no crowd allowed, whether any of the f1 mob turn up in Bahrain next week remains to be seen, theres no Chinese GP, the Vietnam GP seemed in serious doubt even before the Melbourne decision, first race could be in Holland in May...which seems just as unlikely at the moment.
  • focuszing723

Not with the whole of the first team being isolated. The way this seems to have affected well known people with access to testing makes me think that the virus must be fairly well spread amongst the less well known without access to testing.
    It's a good point and guess the unfortunate reality with be an escalating mortality rate.