Coronavirus and pro sport

Comments

• schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    Who pays their extended hotel bill?.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    Tricky decision whether to renew my Eurosport player given that the season could end soon
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    edited March 2020
    Give them your money - lord knows they'll need it when their entire output is cancelled due to the virus.

We want the coverage back on when the races are back on!
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    or let it run out.. then take a discount when you get offered that
  • TheBigBean
    It will probably be a combination of those strategies - see if an offer materialises before renewing.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569

mrfpb said:

If the Giro gets cancelled or postponed it raises tantalising prospect of all the GT riders/teams targeting the Tour.

Too many cooks spoiling the broth methinks.
    Giro di Sicilia also cancelled/postponed.
    But as has been pointed out elswhere the Tour ends less than a week before the Olympics start, so it's an either/or decison for riders choosing between the two.
    Why?
    Because riders aiming for Olympic Gold (or supporting medal hopefuls) will want to be in Japan training/aclimatising for a week or two, rather than recovering from jet lag a few days before.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132

Tricky decision whether to renew my Eurosport player given that the season could end soon

Thanks - was a reminder to cancel mine as I get the HD channels through the TV now.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877
    France vs Ireland in the 6 Nations is now postponed next weekend.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217

Give them your money - lord knows they'll need it when their entire output is cancelled due to the virus.

We want the coverage back on when the races are back on!

There's always lots of 'hilarious' crash footage to have 24 hour Watts on there.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550
    All domestic sport at all levels in Italy is off until at least 3rd April.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193
    Cheltenham's on tomorrow. That's a couple of hundred thousand people over the event relaxed and rubbing shoulders. Personally looking at Italy and how stretch their hospitals are currently, it seems to be going against the UK's summer delay tactic.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137

Cheltenham's on tomorrow. That's a couple of hundred thousand people over the event relaxed and rubbing shoulders. Personally looking at Italy and how stretch their hospitals are currently, it seems to be going against the UK's summer delay tactic.

I'm going on Friday and it's got to be the worst event for it. Lots of notes changing hands. I'll be safe because I never win anything.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • focuszing723
    RichN95. said:

I'm going on Friday and it's got to be the worst event for it. Lots of notes changing hands. I'll be safe because I never win anything.
    Have a great time, wash them hands:-)
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579

This is in line with the political party line of keep calm and carry on. It’ll either be fine and we can laugh at other countries for overreacting, or, as I think will be the case, we will seriously regret not taking stronger action faster.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    edited March 2020

I presume the hope about summer is that fewer of the usual strains on the NHS (common cold, flu etc) will be soaking up capacity. At the moment you've got the winter pressures still and Covid19 potentially piling in on top.
  • focuszing723
    edited March 2020

This is in line with the political party line of keep calm and carry on. It’ll either be fine and we can laugh at other countries for overreacting, or, as I think will be the case, we will seriously regret not taking stronger action faster.

Yeah, looking at Italy. I worry for my parents, if the hospitals get stretched who will get priority?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    edited March 2020
    Some of the stories coming out of the 'epicentre' hospitals are rather bleak indeed.

Do not envy anyone working in a hospital....
  • kingstongraham
    It does feel like we are waiting for it to get really bad before we seriously try to prevent it spreading.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741

It does feel like we are waiting for it to get really bad before we seriously try to prevent it spreading.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7NlFWh7Sz8
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597

I await the first official to say that “we didn’t think it was that bad” or similar when you simply have to look at Italy today.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • blazing_saddles
    On the plus side, China has virtually eradicated the disease. Just 22 new cases declared overnight, down from 40 odd on the past two days.
    S Korea also numbers in steady decline the past few days, have today dropped dramatically.
  • TheBigBean

On the plus side, China has virtually eradicated the disease. Just 22 new cases declared overnight, down from 40 odd on the past two days.
    S Korea also numbers in steady decline the past few days, have today dropped dramatically.

It's almost as if wearing masks significantly reduces transmission rates. The Koreans think the Europeans are completely bonkers to not wear them.
  • kingstongraham

I don't think this is an argument against taking early measures to reduce the spread.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I know that in the US theyve been told not to wear them - the medical professionals need all the masks they can get.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    fenix said:

I know that in the US theyve been told not to wear them - the medical professionals need all the masks they can get.

Which is fair enough but over here we are sold it on the basis that unless you've had some kind of course on how to fit them they are useless which is obvious BS.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • TheBigBean
    Are the UK and US incapable of making them given a national emergency?
  • blazing_saddles

I don't think this is an argument against taking early measures to reduce the spread.

I didn't say it was.
    Thought it might lift a bit of the gloom and cheer folks up a little, especially when we are getting headlines and stories like this:

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/coronavirus-lappartient-say-cancelling-giro-ditalia-and-tour-de-france-would-be-a-disaster-for-cycling/
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217

My office is in Cheltenham so I'm working from home the rest of this week rather than travelling on a packed train. It was bad enough being a few seats away from someone who spent the whole journey yesterday coughing their guts up and doing those horrible, snotty sniffs.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    Am I the only one with a wry smile thinking that Liverpool and potentially Leeds could end up lifting their respective trophies in empty stadia :smiley:
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460

will we then see a rise again when they start to lift travel restrictions ?