Coronavirus and pro sport

Comments

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,876
    Presumably this makes the Giro even less likely too.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569

I'm actually really disappointed by this. Appreciate there's plenty more serious stuff going on both in and outside of cycling but I get a lot of joy out of these races and they really give a rhythm to the spring for me.

I work in healthcare and I have a family member just started chemo, and yet I agree with this. The joy and frustration of following the achievement of men on bikes (or kicking a ball) is one of the things that get's us all through the dull, drizzly, feet-dragging months of the year.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    mrfpb said:

I'm actually really disappointed by this. Appreciate there's plenty more serious stuff going on both in and outside of cycling but I get a lot of joy out of these races and they really give a rhythm to the spring for me.

I work in healthcare and I have a family member just started chemo, and yet I agree with this. The joy and frustration of following the achievement of men on bikes (or kicking a ball) is one of the things that get's us all through the dull, drizzly, feet-dragging months of the year.
    Although I think you can enjoy watching cycling with no spectators on the route, whereas watching football in closed stadiums is a bore!
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    All Italian schools have been closed with immediate effect.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,130
    redvision said:

mrfpb said:

Although I think you can enjoy watching cycling with no spectators on the route, whereas watching football in closed stadiums is a bore!
    All this year's racing in Qatar then?
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,549
    Bollocks. Big ones.

I love these races. Gutted.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    redvision said:

Although I think you can enjoy watching cycling with no spectators on the route, whereas watching football is a bore!

too many words

• mrfpb
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/51737966

So FDJ and Confidis are stuck in UAE until 14 March. The article covers other news including that Milan - San Remo will go ahead.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    edited March 2020
    Africa and South America seem largely uneffected at the moment. The Tour in Colombia? The ASO have form when it comes to moving one of their signature events to South America in a time of crisis.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mrfpb
    From the same articale:

However, Dutch team Jumbo-Visma said on Tuesday they will not be sending riders to Strade Bianche because of concerns over the spread of coronavirus.
    "We know that any team that goes to Italy might probably be prevented from racing in any other country," they said.
    "The focus has to be on salvaging the bulk of the season, not a handful of races."
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    pat1cp said:

All Italian schools have been closed with immediate effect.

No they haven't - the press mis-reported something. Not to say that by the time I post this, or shortly afterwards, they might have actually decided to do this.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    Mitch Scott have withdrawn from racing and doctors from 11 teams have written a letter to the UCI, ASO and RCS requesting that P-N and the three Italian races be cancelled.

You're going to have a busy evening Saddles. Lots of idiots out there in need of your expertise.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551

redvision said:

mrfpb said:

All this year's racing in Qatar then?
    Too close to Iran, where there is a major outbreak.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193
    Austin Texas looks ok and free from trouble. If they all went there...
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741

Mitch Scott have withdrawn from racing and doctors from 11 teams have written a letter to the UCI, ASO and RCS requesting that P-N and the three Italian races be cancelled.

You're going to have a busy evening Saddles. Lots of idiots out there in need of your expertise.

Obviously you were too busy getting hot under the collar to notice the point I was making.
    Paris-Nice is on that list.

Actually, MS are the first team to get it right. There is no point in trying to be selective.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    edited March 2020
    Delete
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    edited March 2020
    Froome is determined to try and win the TDF this year, seen in solo training earlier today...

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/live-experience/cps/624/cpsprodpb/vivo/live/images/2020/3/4/5252e64b-42f4-4cb3-a71f-52de0fbca61a.jpg

;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • RichN95.
    Even James Bond isn't safe. They've moved the released of the new film until the end of the year.
  • focuszing723
    RichN95. said:

Even James Bond isn't safe. They've moved the released of the new film until the end of the year.

It makes sense, they can't go with the attitude of live and let die with all the hysteria around.
  • blazing_saddles
    RichN95. said:

So it's Die Another Day for No Time to Die.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608

RichN95. said:

It makes sense, they can't go with the attitude of live and let die with all the hysteria around.
    It is No Time To Die.
  • blazing_saddles
    Corona Royale
    orraloon said:

RichN95. said:

It is No Time To Die.
    Corona Royale ©

© Joel
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368

RichN95. said:

sense ? so they postpone it till November...just before Flu season kicks it all off again, marvellous, coming in the fall this year its Corona 2 and this time they get fizzical!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpnsnAfTawE
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368

Obviously you were too busy getting hot under the collar to notice the point I was making.
    Paris-Nice is on that list.

Actually, MS are the first team to get it right. There is no point in trying to be selective.

but I believe the other teams cancellations are more to do with the restrictions that then get placed on them following a visit to Italy by other countries they need to visit for sponsors or races, not that they fear they will be infected by the virus and Italy is a bad place to visit at the moment.

For example the MotoGP cancellation issue was that Qatar are insisting anyone who has been to Italy within the past two weeks, so not even directly flying from there simply passing thru in transit,will get taken directly to quarantine for 14 days, lots of MotoGP people pass through Italy alot and the likes of Ferrari/Alfa Tauri/Pirelli may will hit the same problem in F1 if they return to Italy following the Australian GP or Bahrain GPs,depending how the following GP countries deal with it.

and if the Italian situation worsens, alot of other countries may then follow suit with similar travel bans, currently theres no such limitations placed on travel thru France so Nice isnt affected even if its nearer to the virus hotspots. and the real problem is you dont want your team,riders,mechanics stuck in a hotel like Cofidis are for two weeks.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Manchester 6 Day next week still seems to be going ahead at this stage... quite a small venue though, only 3500, so if they did the French >5000 approach it would be just fine. Supposed to be going to see Stereophonics at the MEN next Friday, 21,000 seater stadium... more of a concern! (About it going ahead, not about catching coronavirus at it).

• blazing_saddles

UCI not cancelling any races for the moment, although has said that any teams who don’t want to participate won’t be punished.
    Instead asking all races to put together a series of health protocols, eg not keeping all teams in one hotel, increasing distance between riders and public in start/finish zones and other hygiene measures.

It's like the Grand Old Duke of York out there.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,509
    100+ deaths in Italy and things have barely got started. Looking very bleak.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608

Corona Royale

orraloon said:

RichN95. said:

It is No Time To Die.
    Corona Royale ©

© Joel
    Ah you beat me to it there by a minute! So you sir have the Licence To Kill.
  • blazing_saddles
    orraloon said:

Corona Royale

orraloon said:

RichN95. said:

It is No Time To Die.
    Corona Royale ©

© Joel
    Ah you beat me to it there by a minute! So you sir have the Licence To Kill.
    I thank you, but what we really need to combat this virus is someone to come up with a Licence to Pill. :p
  • focuszing723
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1235192497162399744

Refreshingly honest and to the point.