Coronavirus and pro sport

Comments

• gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    Mitchelton-Scott is the latest team to step back in the face of worries over the coronavirus scare, and made the even more drastic step to pull its men’s and women’s teams out of races during most of the March calendar.
    Coming on the heels of a decision by Jumbo-Visma not to race Saturday’s Strade Bianche, the Australian outfit decided Wednesday it would not race not only in Italy, but also across France, the Netherlands and Belgium. The team opted not to race at the following Italian races at Strade Bianche (men and women), GP Industria, Tirreno-Adriatico, Milan-San Remo, and the women’s WorldTour stop at Trofeo Alfredo Binda, but also Paris-Nice in France, and Ronde van Drenthe and Danilith Nokere Koerse, two women’s races in the Netherlands and Belgium, respectively
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    awavey said:

RichN95. said:

Even James Bond isn't safe. They've moved the released of the new film until the end of the year.

It makes sense, they can't go with the attitude of live and let die with all the hysteria around.
    sense ? so they postpone it till November...just before Flu season kicks it all off again, marvellous, coming in the fall this year its Corona 2 and this time they get fizzical!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpnsnAfTawE
    And apparently they did it after two fan sites said they didn't want the Bond franchise to be associated with spreading the virus or words to that effect.

On the plus side it now means that my movie debut that comes out in April won't be up against Bond!
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Italy have suspended all sporting events which cant be played behind closed doors (in a stadium etc) for 30 days. Sounds like the races were cancelled anyway, but still.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    edited March 2020
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,928
    Sounds like the Italy v England 6 Nations match will be behind closed doors.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,602
    edited March 2020
    INEOS out until March 23rd. It’s all over for now I would suggest.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157

They have said that Portal's death is also a major reason though.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • carbonclem
    RichN95. said:

They have said that Portal's death is also a major reason though.
    Yeah, I meant the snowball effect of EF, Mitchelton Scott and now Ineos will probably force other teams hands and ultimately the race organisers
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    edited March 2020

wont most people still travel anyway though ?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    awavey said:

Well, my wife has already taken the decision that unless our holiday destination is declared a no go area by the government and insurance pays out we are going in May.
    So I'd guess that yes, a lot will still go.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Dorset_Boy
    awavey said:

It will be interesting to hear how many Italians are in Dublin this weekend for the cancelled Ireland v Italy match. If people can't get a refund or claim on their insurance for cancelling then I'm sure most will still travel.
  • gweeds
    England v Ireland now also postponed
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Dorset_Boy
    gweeds said:

England played Ireland 2 weeks ago, England won, convincingly.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVhtn67MEmE

I quite like this, easier said than done.
  • gweeds

gweeds said:

England played Ireland 2 weeks ago, England won, convincingly.
    Obvs meant Italy.

• blazing_saddles
    The are now proposing that the cancelled matches be played in July, (after tours etc) which means international players (assuming they return early to play for their clubs) would potentially get no break from playing for 18 months.
    England also face the prospect of playing in Rome during high summer. Good luck with that lads.

Personally, I think it would be better to knock it on the head for this year.

Also, it seems that the Dragon's match against Benetton which was postponed due to Storm Dennis, is set to go ahead in Newport, tomorrow night......
  • Dorset_Boy

The are now proposing that the cancelled matches be played in July, (after tours etc) which means international players (assuming they return early to play for their clubs) would potentially get no break from playing for 18 months.
    England also face the prospect of playing in Rome during high summer. Good luck with that lads.

Also, it seems that the Dragon's match against Benetton which was postponed due to Storm Dennis, is set to go ahead in Newport, tomorrow night......

I see George North has been selected by Wales. After his umpteenth concussion 2 weeks ago when he was clearly out cold again, frankly I'm staggered.
  • carbonclem
    SB canned.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

I see George North has been selected by Wales. After his umpteenth concussion 2 weeks ago when he was clearly out cold again, frankly I'm staggered.
    hes a key player for them. Presumably the medical teams are not suspending caution.
  • Dorset_Boy
    david37 said:

hes a key player for them. Presumably the medical teams are not suspending caution.
    I'd say they've been pretty negligent in the past regarding GN's concussions, leaving him on the pitch on a few occasions after he'd been clearly knocked out cold. Given GN's concussion history you have to fear for his long term health, he's probably been knocked out more than any other current pro.

• blazing_saddles
    edited March 2020

david37 said:

I'd say they've been pretty negligent in the past regarding GN's concussions, leaving him on the pitch on a few occasions after he'd been clearly knocked out cold. Given GN's concussion history you have to fear for his long term health, he's probably been knocked out more than any other current pro.

He was fine during return to field protocol checks but kept off as a precaution.
  • Dorset_Boy

david37 said:

He was fine during return to field protocol checks but kept off as a precaution.
    Blazing - when you are knocked out cold as GN clearly was, certainly in England, you are not able to return to the pitch, and there are no return to play protocols - they are superceded by the fact you were knocked out cold. They will have done tests, but they are not return to play in that match ones.
  • Pross

They're not exactly crammed into Rodney Parade for Dragon's matches. There's probably a greater risk of contact with a crowd at the local under 10s football.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited March 2020

david37 said:

Blazing - when you are knocked out cold as GN clearly was, certainly in England, you are not able to return to the pitch, and there are no return to play protocols - they are superceded by the fact you were knocked out cold. They will have done tests, but they are not return to play in that match ones.

I am only telling you what he told us.
    Haven't asked since though in fairness.
  • Pross

david37 said:

The first time, where he appeared to get knocked out twice in the same match, was before the HIA protocols got brought in (and was possibly one of the cases that led to their introduction). I worry for George's long term health but I'm pretty sure the medical team are assessing him fully and I doubt any of us know more about his condition (or have more reason to worry about him) than Blazing.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    Pross said:

They're not exactly crammed into Rodney Parade for Dragon's matches. There's probably a greater risk of contact with a crowd at the local under 10s football.
    I find it funny that the SFA have banned hand shakes but rugby considers a scrum to be fine. 😂😂😂
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited March 2020
    Obviously the situation is still in flux and subject to government intervention, but Paris-Nice goes ahead. Now with 19 teams of 8, rather than 7 riders and 2 new wild cards.

Line ups therefore subject to change. Quick step have already moved in a number of their big classics boys.
    Alaphilippe
    Lampaert
    Bennett
    Stybar
    Asgreen
    Jungels
    Moerkoev

Sagan, Bardet, Van Aert and Viviani also making the swap.

https://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme-sur-route/Actualites/Romain-bardet-peter-sagan-elia-viviani-et-wout-van-aert-presents-a-paris-nice/1116698
  • gweeds
    Has TA been formally canned yet (and if not surely a matter of time)

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,689
    https://www.teamineos.com/article/team-ineos-to-temporarily-withdraw-from-racing

Season seems to be falling apart. Ineos out until 23/3/20.
  • blazing_saddles
    gweeds said:

gweeds said:

Not officially cancelled as yet, but it has zero chance of going ahead.