Coronavirus and pro sport

Comments

• pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    mrfpb said:

bobmcstuff - there is very little to be positive about at the moment. The WHO's report said that China's tactics controlled the spread, but the rest of the world probably won't be able to do that.

One small positive is that kids seem to be fine with it.

Also, the death rate of closed cases is down to 6%.

As yet (according to the preferred web page linked earlier) no deaths in under 10s then 0.2% for 10-19 yrs, then exponential increase for each decade up to 80+. Clearly this virus favours the young. Zero infant mortality is remarkable.
    Refer to my last post about the Chinese.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Some of the comments on social media that this is all a media panic look way off the mark given those figures. I think my dad is probably 50:50 given he's 90 and in poor health - even the figures for someone my age - 51 - are concerning. No I'm not sitting here worrying because you don't do you - I suppose it could be worse whilst it's not the bout of flu some claimed neither is it the black death.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • DeVlaeminck
    Just to add to that - not pro sport but amateur cycling - I've just read Mountain Mayhem 24hour MTB event is cancelled. The reason is no insurer will offer cancellation insurance.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

Some of the comments on social media that this is all a media panic look way off the mark given those figures. I think my dad is probably 50:50 given he's 90 and in poor health - even the figures for someone my age - 51 - are concerning. No I'm not sitting here worrying because you don't do you - I suppose it could be worse whilst it's not the bout of flu some claimed neither is it the black death.

Most of the people in their 50s who've died seem to have underlying health problems, often quite severe.

In fact a lot if the fatalities seem to be with underlying health issues in general, but I guess the older you are the more likely you are to have other health issues.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474

Just to add to that - not pro sport but amateur cycling - I've just read Mountain Mayhem 24hour MTB event is cancelled. The reason is no insurer will offer cancellation insurance.

Huh? If no insurer will offer cancellation insurance, why have they cancelled as therefore they are in no different situation whether they cancel or not? Or is it that they are sufficiently far away from the event that by cancelling now they limit their (uninsured) losses?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • blazing_saddles
    Pontypool old boy, Mako Vunipola didn't fancy playing at Twickers on Saturday against the Welsh, so he has declared himself as self-isolating, even though he's not ill.

So, if anybody fancies a couple of weeks off work, just tell the boss you ate pasta on the weekend.

• DeVlaeminck
    larkim said:

Huh? If no insurer will offer cancellation insurance, why have they cancelled as therefore they are in no different situation whether they cancel or not? Or is it that they are sufficiently far away from the event that by cancelling now they limit their (uninsured) losses?
    Presumably yes.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    “ANSA (Italian press agency) just informed that Italian government is going to stop all the sporting events that requires crowd in less than 1m space for the next 30 days in all the country. Sporting events will be able to be held only behind closed doors in this period.”

Well that could be the racing fucked then.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    typical just as theyd announced the womens race at Strada Bianche was going to be on GCN live as well.
  • blazing_saddles
    I read it as applying to indoor events and stadium etc.
    Hence the closed door bit.
    City centres are 10 times more crowded than the average bike race, all day.
  • bobmcstuff

• gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    EF have asked to be excused from Strade, Tirreno and MSR.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    from a purely selfish viewing perspective, i dont really care fro Tirreno, an early season chipper and prep for MSR which is a long ride with 2 short climbs at the end. I find it tedious.

Strade on the other hand is over quicker and far easier on the eye. I will miss that one.

• blazing_saddles
    gweeds said:

So why not asked to be excused from Paris-Nice then Jonathan?
    After all, Nice is closer to an infected Italian zone than Siena.
    He spends to much time engaging on twitter and this is the result.
    For someone as smart as he's supposed to be, he's not very smart.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    gweeds said:

Yep, and looks like those 3 races are now going to be cancelled.

Seria A is having emergency meetings regarding the remainder of the league season and sounds like it could be the first top flight football league to end the season early, cancelling all remaining matches. If that happens it will be interesting to see the legal ramifications, you can guarantee the club's who were challenging for the title/ Europe places but miss out due to early season end, and those who get relegated will demand financial compensation or will go to the courts.

There was talk yesterday that the Olympics may now be switched to the end of the year. If that happens, imagine how difficult it's going to be for the athletes - they will have spent the last 12+ months training to peak for this summer, so waiting a few extra months may be the easiest option for the organisers, but will be much harder for athletes - physically and mentally.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    The Olympics are confirmed as going ahead on schedule.
    For now......
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,691
    Have a couple of colleagues who have come back from the states and they say the coverage of the virus over there is properly hysterical, so not surprises the yanks are overreacting.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803

gweeds said:

Always good to see BR’s armchair experts claiming that they know better than the people who actually do the racing thing for a living. Saddles – have you contacted JV to tell him he’s clearly wrong and he knows nothing? Go on do it – and post his reply on here.

• darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180

Have a couple of colleagues who have come back from the states and they say the coverage of the virus over there is properly hysterical, so not surprises the yanks are overreacting.

If I had to negotiate my way through the small print of my health insurance (Assuming I had some) then I would be panicking too. I'll wager Trump declares some kind of emergency that get's the health insurance companies off the hook for this.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,247
    Gaviria has got it
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154
    Strade Bianche, Tirreno & Milan-Sanremo are all officially cancelled. RCS hoping to run them later in the year.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    Eugh, gutted.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,247
  • rick_chasey
    I'm actually really disappointed by this. Appreciate there's plenty more serious stuff going on both in and outside of cycling but I get a lot of joy out of these races and they really give a rhythm to the spring for me.
  • blazing_saddles

gweeds said:

Always good to see BR’s armchair experts claiming that they know better than the people who actually do the racing thing for a living. Saddles – have you contacted JV to tell him he’s clearly wrong and he knows nothing? Go on do it – and post his reply on here.

Wtf's your problem, or have they moved Nice further away from Lombardia and not told anyone?

• bobmcstuff

I'm actually really disappointed by this. Appreciate there's plenty more serious stuff going on both in and outside of cycling but I get a lot of joy out of these races and they really give a rhythm to the spring for me.

Yeah, it's a bit annoying.

We've just had all non-essential business travel cancelled. We also do a lot of site work in the UK so if clients start restricting that we're going to have bigger issues as we aren't going to be making any money.

So I'm going to be stuck in the office while we aren't making any money, which will be a bit bleak...
  • rick_chasey
    I hear ya.

All our clients won't meet with us anymore (or indeed anyone else). Some have sent all their staff home.

No-one's picking up the phone; markets are all over the place.

• blazing_saddles
    RichN95. said:

Strade Bianche, Tirreno & Milan-Sanremo are all officially cancelled. RCS hoping to run them later in the year.

I can't see the point of re-scheduling Tirreno to be honest, as it's positioned in the calendar for a specific job.
    SB could fit quite nicely into the Autumn series, but M-SR doesn't.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,620

Well, you need something to watch when the everyone is being quarantined. It's the reason I am hoping the football season continues even if it is behind closed doors.

I guess the difficulty with cycling is the number of extra people involved, the inability to prevent spectators and the way it involves travelling all over the country.