Coronavirus and pro sport

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535

Reports from Italy (via AP, so presumably reliable) that closing schools drove a 20% jump in cases as people treated it as a holiday and took kids out skiing etc. Just goes to reiterate how much of this is going to be situational and non-perfect (would keeping schools open have been worse in medium term?)

Well a full third of cases in DK had recently returned from skiing in Austria. Maybe it's just skiing that's the problem?

But in all seriousness, the ski resorts were a pool of infection, so visiting that pool was a bad idea (they probably didn't realise) but that might not extrapolate to school closures elsewhere.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325

that might not extrapolate to school closures elsewhere.

It almost certainly won't, or at least for the same reasons. The point was more that there are unintended consequences lurking at every corner, and the optimal approaches are almost certainly going to be shaped by the different societies in which they need to work.

I'm already wondering whether the complete cessation of sport in the UK is going to somehow backfire.

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398

It almost certainly won't, or at least for the same reasons. The point was more that there are unintended consequences lurking at every corner, and the optimal approaches are almost certainly going to be shaped by the different societies in which they need to work.

I'm already wondering whether the complete cessation of sport in the UK is going to somehow backfire.

I think an obvious concern is that if schools are closed while businesses stay open, then grandparents (ie the more at risk group) will end up more exposed than otherwise as they tend to provide a lot of childcare.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,702

I think an obvious concern is that if schools are closed while businesses stay open, then grandparents (ie the more at risk group) will end up more exposed than otherwise as they tend to provide a lot of childcare.

Absolutely.
    Every school holiday we see this when they take the kids to do the daily shop to stop them climbing the walls.
    If the grandparents are over 70 then there will soon be this other complication.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51895873
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    edited March 2020
    I think any measures are just to flatten the curve in so far as the stress on the healthcare system . We just have to take a big bite out of this tu7d Sandwich and accept this year's season as a wRite off . Carefully designed precautions and format changes could let some racing happen thou. Ban mass spectators at race ends finished etc. But there needs to be co ordination from trans state level down ... This is really happening.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • I know it's not the time for speculation, but I love the Classics so I was looking for a suitable gap in the season. We could create a great Classics season after the Vuelta, including the existing Italian races, the Worlds and the "Spring" classics. Pie in the sky maybe, but it might mean a rainy Paris Roubaix for once
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570

I know it's not the time for speculation, but I love the Classics so I was looking for a suitable gap in the season. We could create a great Classics season after the Vuelta, including the existing Italian races, the Worlds and the "Spring" classics. Pie in the sky maybe, but it might mean a rainy Paris Roubaix for once

They could run the cobbled classics alongside the Italian one day races. Time the finishes a little differently and you've got a great few weeks of TV. No one cares about the Ardennes so they can just be cancelled.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • blazing_saddles
    This thing has a ways to go given international response and how it currently stacks up against other killers.
    Coronavirus Deaths to date: 6,086

Health
    2,656,356 Communicable disease deaths this year
    99,436 Seasonal flu deaths this year
    1,555,350 Deaths of children under 5 this year
    63,247 Deaths of mothers during birth this year
    41,637,273 HIV/AIDS infected people
    343,984 Deaths caused by HIV/AIDS this year
    1,680,552 Deaths caused by cancer this year
    200,711 Deaths caused by malaria this year
    1,022,917 Deaths caused by smoking this year
    511,781 Deaths caused by alcohol this year
    219,427 Suicides this year
    276,220 Road traffic accident fatalities this year

• bobmcstuff
    Coronavirus hasn't infected that many people yet so comparing the fatalities with other more widespread things doesnt mean that much. With a 1 or 2% fatality rate it'll start to overtake those other things pretty fast.

I found this washington post article about flattening the curve with simplified simulations quite interesting on that front: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,313

I found this washington post article about flattening the curve with simplified simulations quite interesting on that front: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/

Nice. The chilling final comment from the graphic designer of the article, quite liderally, mate, fills in the dots...

This was yet another crushing view of the British gov stance.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/15/epidemiologist-britain-herd-immunity-coronavirus-covid-19

• bobmcstuff

Nice. The chilling final comment from the graphic designer of the article, quite liderally, mate, fills in the dots...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/15/epidemiologist-britain-herd-immunity-coronavirus-covid-19

Actually since in the simulation the "recovered" dots no longer do anything, it doesn't matter whether you take out the "dead" ones or just leave them there bouncing around... Kinda bleak but it doesn't affect the simulation.

Spent my run this morning thinking of ways to improve it... I assume this type of thing is what the government forecasts are based on (you hope), but on a bigger scale and with more variables.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    sherer said:

i was expecting a rise in cases from China, now they have lifted restrictions but that doesnt seem to have happened so far.

Thanks for the quotes blazing, that wasnt what I saw last year, but ive only ever seen once stage so dont have much data to go on.

Last year they had the Allaphillipe factor to keep the locals watching.
  • mrfpb

I've seen this attack way too often over the weekend. Basically seizing on comments about "Herd Immunity" as if that is the sum total of government policy on the coronavirus - ie stand back and let it take it's course, ignoring other govt advice like the (modest) social distancing measures, recommending voluntary self isolation when symtomatic or at risk from exposure, reinforcing basic hygiene.
  • red.rider
    red.rider Posts: 1,188
    Tour de Romandie cancelled as CH goes into lockdown until April 19th

https://www.srf.ch/sport/mehr-sport/rad/news-aus-dem-radsport-tour-de-romandie-abgesagt
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Looks like Euro 2020 is being canned tomorrow. Not looking good for the TDF.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited March 2020
    gweeds said:

But that's mainly to allow more time to finish the current season. No-one is going to cancel the Tour to allow other races to take place.

It could be an interesting Tour if the riders came in with no racing and massively disrupted training.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Just to float an idea, seeing as we're now supposed to not go outside and there's apparently a worldwide ban on sport, anyone up for just creating our own race at some point? Set a time, choose a parcours, and create a race out of our own imagination. Can simply replace MSR or something (I mean, it's not like we don't know how that race always goes anyway).

Not sure who gets to choose a winner (have a poll in the pre-race preview, perhaps?) but we can narrate the race we want for a change rather than having to rely on the vagaries of weather, form and the kidnap of Carlton Kirby.

Not even any reason to ever finish it, come to think of it - just keep adding details until we get bored or somebody takes pity and allows some racing to break out...
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    A Sky Sports subscription is starting to look like very poor value. Wonder if they'd agree to a temporary transfer for the movie channels...
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535

Just to float an idea, seeing as we're now supposed to not go outside and there's apparently a worldwide ban on sport, anyone up for just creating our own race at some point? Set a time, choose a parcours, and create a race out of our own imagination. Can simply replace MSR or something (I mean, it's not like we don't know how that race always goes anyway).

Not sure who gets to choose a winner (have a poll in the pre-race preview, perhaps?) but we can narrate the race we want for a change rather than having to rely on the vagaries of weather, form and the kidnap of Carlton Kirby.

Not even any reason to ever finish it, come to think of it - just keep adding details until we get bored or somebody takes pity and allows some racing to break out...

Guaranteed echelons!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    Grand national gone
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368

Grand national gone

Boat race too, though did anyone care about that :)
  • kingstongraham
    There's going to be no tdf. Not a hope. No season at all. Write it off.
  • Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,727
    awavey said:

Boat race too, though did anyone care about that :)

Yeah! Always try to watch that one
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    A Spanish football coach has died from it.
    Aged 21. Perspective. 😢
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    RichN95. said:

gweeds said:

But that's mainly to allow more time to finish the current season. No-one is going to cancel the Tour to allow other races to take place.

It could be an interesting Tour if the riders came in with no racing and massively disrupted training.
    It won't be finished come July...
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    No I suspect the entire season is a write off....and that that fact may seem increasingly insignificant in the months ahead.

I suppose it's possible govt(s) may try and lay on some kind of sport as there will be a recognition that those isolated and those suffering stress, financial hardship, loss etc do benefit from some kind of normality - a distraction from the negative things happening.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • kingstongraham
    French Open tennis gone. (24th may)
  • mrfpb
    Time for "Nintenedo Switch - Mario and Sonic at the Tokyo Olympics - Pro Edition"
  • blazing_saddles
    edited March 2020
    The Hell of the North, goes South.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/confirmed-paris-roubaix-2020-postponed-451876

Fleche Wallonne and Liege are officially postponed as well
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    We will appreciate the racing all the more now when it does come back.

I am sure of that.