Scot Indy Ref #2

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,480
    rjsterry said:

You have exactly the same say in your future as everyone else.

Although whether anybody is listening is another question :)
    https://independent.co.uk/voices/ian-blackford-snp-brexit-house-of-commons-constitutional-crisis-a9299506.html
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

Yes the six Tory seats not good. Andrew Bowie what an embarrassment local to me too. Not to mention the Moray chap. Still it’s a democracy. But 6 is such a minority. Anyway at least in Scotland the Tory MPs are mostly in well off areas. In Engerland a lot of the Tory voters were folk on benefits, WTF!!!

If we take the percentage of people on benefits and then how many of them voted tory i am keen to hear your definition of a lot.
  • Stevo_666
    john80 said:

Yes the six Tory seats not good. Andrew Bowie what an embarrassment local to me too. Not to mention the Moray chap. Still it’s a democracy. But 6 is such a minority. Anyway at least in Scotland the Tory MPs are mostly in well off areas. In Engerland a lot of the Tory voters were folk on benefits, WTF!!!

If we take the percentage of people on benefits and then how many of them voted tory i am keen to hear your definition of a lot.
    Also let's compare that to the numbers who voted Labour and SNP.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • john80 said:

I believe most people are on some kind of a benefit so I would guess he is right with “a lot”
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,638
    Stevo_666 said:

john80 said:

Now, now; don't be rude about the new supporters - C2DE mostly voted Tory at the last election.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

john80 said:

Now, now; don't be rude about the new supporters - C2DE mostly voted Tory at the last election.
    We're a broad church - as you will know, you'll never win elections if your voters are just a bunch of smug middle class types :wink:
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

john80 said:

What's not to like about more people seeing the light?
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

john80 said:

I believe most people are on some kind of a benefit so I would guess he is right with “a lot”
    Alan sugar gets winter fuel payments. Is this the sort of most people get benefits logic you are running.
  • Peace, Prosperity & Friendship is the motto on the new Brexit coin. Is Sajid Javid deranged?
  • ballysmate

Peace, Prosperity & Friendship is the motto on the new Brexit coin. Is Sajid Javid deranged?

Laudable aspirations no?
    If you get indie what will you have on your coin (currency yet to be determined)? 'See you Jimmy'?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750

Peace, Prosperity & Friendship is the motto on the new Brexit coin. Is Sajid Javid deranged?

Laudable aspirations no?
    If you get indie what will you have on your coin (currency yet to be determined)? 'See you Jimmy'?
    Nemo me impune lacessit has been used before.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemo_me_impune_lacessit
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,638

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

john80 said:

And less from other demographics. Very clear voting correlations with age and educational achievement. They were also quite a bit better at holding onto 2017 votes than Labour.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/12/17/how-britain-voted-2019-general-election

More specifically to Scotland, the SNP are just very good at getting their vote out, probably as they don't have to worry about spreading their efforts over the whole UK.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • ballysmate
    pblakeney said:

Laudable aspirations no?
    So you seem to have sorted out what the Scots will use for currency then.
  • ballysmate
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

john80 said:

And less from other demographics. Very clear voting correlations with age and educational achievement. They were also quite a bit better at holding onto 2017 votes than Labour.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/12/17/how-britain-voted-2019-general-election

More specifically to Scotland, the SNP are just very good at getting their vote out, probably as they don't have to worry about spreading their efforts over the whole UK.
    As Stevo said then, a broad church.
  • john80 said:

john80 said:

Alan sugar gets winter fuel payments. Is this the sort of most people get benefits logic you are running.
    Maintaining triple lock is well worth voting Tory for if you are a pensioner. But other recipients of benefits are parents (kids under 18) earning under £60k. Must be a fair few on working tax credit so yes I imagine “a lot” of Tory voters are on benefits
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    edited January 2020

pblakeney said:

Laudable aspirations no?
    So you seem to have sorted out what the Scots will use for currency then.
    It's what I think would be most likely in the outcome.
    Particularly as they already have the banknotes.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Peace, Prosperity & Friendship is the motto on the new Brexit coin. Is Sajid Javid deranged?

Laudable aspirations no?
    Meh, just chatting to an Irish NHS nurse last night. He is heading back to Ireland. Not feeling welcome here anymore as he needs to apply to the Home Office to continue working here
    The pound Stirling is shared between a few nations. Your little England mentality is nothing to shout about.
  • ballysmate

Laudable aspirations no?
    Meh, just chatting to an Irish NHS nurse last night. He is heading back to Ireland. Not feeling welcome here anymore as he needs to apply to the Home Office to continue working here
    The pound Stirling is shared between a few nations. Your little England mentality is nothing to shout about.
    How is using another country's currency with no input on monetary policy independence apart from in name only?
  • Stevo_666

Laudable aspirations no?
    How is using another country's currency with no input on monetary policy independence apart from in name only?
    Don't expect an answer from him, as it clearly isn't.

Laudable aspirations no?
    Just told you it isn’t another country’s currency. Little Englander mentality again, wow.
  • Stevo_666

Laudable aspirations no?
    Just told you it isn’t another country’s currency. Little Englander mentality again, wow.
    If you have your own currency, where is the Scottish Central Bank to determine monetary policy etc?
  • ballysmate
    Stevo_666 said:

Laudable aspirations no?
    If you have your own currency, where is the Scottish Central Bank to determine monetary policy etc?
    In that well known Scottish city, London perhaps?
  • So the British pound isn’t the British pound suddenly it’s the English pound. Sounds like Scotland is a colony again. Does anyone believe it’s a union anymore?
  • ballysmate

So the British pound isn’t the British pound suddenly it’s the English pound. Sounds like Scotland is a colony again. Does anyone believe it’s a union anymore?

In 2014 the Lying Scotsman, Big Eck, was shot down by the then Chancellor George Osborne, telling him there would be no currency union. Do you expect anything different 2nd time round?

Laudable aspirations no?
    I thought the Irish were excluded from this due to the continuance of the Common Travel Area.
  • I believe before union there were two currencies, pound sterling and pound Scots. There were 12 pound Scots to each pound sterling at the time of union.

So you could say pound sterling is the currency of the United kingdom. If Scotland left those nations left behind by Scotland still have the pound sterling but without agreement what does Scotland have? Originally pound sterling wasn't their currency.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    edited January 2020

So the British pound isn’t the British pound suddenly it’s the English pound. Sounds like Scotland is a colony again. Does anyone believe it’s a union anymore?

The pound is the currency of the United Kingdom. If you leave that, you leave the currency behind. It's nothing to do with England.

Edit to add: After doing further reading, Scotland could apparently keep the pound without the permission of rUK. Scotland would have no control over the fiscal policies that influence it though.

In your shoes I'd not trust the dastardly English not to screw up their own currency just to upset the Scots.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    As I think I said further up, we could have a Scottish pound pegged to the 'English' pound without approval. It would be fine apart from monetary policy is a key factor in what sets countries apart.
  • Does anyone consider that Bermuda is not independent from the USA?
  • Does anyone consider that Bermuda is not independent from the USA?

or Hong Kong