Scot Indy Ref #2

Comments

• Stevo_666 said:

Only if you don't distinguish between the states, which can have different laws, standards and taxes.

Like in Europe...
    Quite so.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,638

Nothing I don’t believe in racial superiority.

Great. So why are you referring to everyone born on one side of an arbitrary line as "you lot"? That sounds a lot like you think there is some meaningful difference between us. If you are complaining that the UK government doesn't represent your views, 1. Join the club and 2. that's a bit rich when the Scots Nats have a number of seats out of all proportion to the number of votes they received.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,433
    You know an easy way to resolve that is to have all the Scottish in their own parliament! ;)
  • rjsterry
    How can you identify if someone is Scottish?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• We have red hair in our beards and we like Irn Bru 🤪
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997

We have red hair in our beards and we like Irn Bru 🤪

I'm not Scottish but I live here, I have a red beard, not hugely keen in Bru though. I must be a half breed :(
  • twotoebenny
    rjsterry said:

How can you identify if someone is Scottish?

It's fairly easy in parliament, every time one of them gets up to speak they are shouted down by the tories!
  • rjsterry
    Well that can't be right. Michael Gove - Scottish.
    Liam Fox - Scottish.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• twotoebenny
    That was too easy eh? However I'm sure you knew what I was referring to.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,480

You know an easy way to resolve that is to have all the Scottish in their own parliament! ;)

You've already got one.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry said:

Liam Fox - Scottish.

Both of them Scottish yes but never elected in Scotland. We wouldn’t vote for them.
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

You've already got one.
    They've got two: Holyrood and Westminster.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

You've already got one.
    They've got two: Holyrood and Westminster.
    We only need one and let’s make it sovereign no need for any Scottish MPs in Westminster no West Lothian question issues everyone’s happy. All we need is a legitimate referendum go with the majority. The last one conned a lot of people this one should be open and honest.
  • rjsterry
    You'd think that by now people would have learnt that referendums are a terrible way to get stuff done. Good luck wishing for an openness and honesty. True the idea that you should stay in the Union to stay in the other Union turned out to be a false prospectus, but there is no way that Spain would let you join the EU as a recently seceded nation.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry

rjsterry said:

Liam Fox - Scottish.

Both of them Scottish yes but never elected in Scotland. We wouldn’t vote for them.
    So the six Tory seats are what exactly? Are you saying that those voters aren't Scottish?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Yes the six Tory seats not good. Andrew Bowie what an embarrassment local to me too. Not to mention the Moray chap. Still it’s a democracy. But 6 is such a minority. Anyway at least in Scotland the Tory MPs are mostly in well off areas. In Engerland a lot of the Tory voters were folk on benefits, WTF!!!
  • rjsterry

Yes the six Tory seats not good. Andrew Bowie what an embarrassment local to me too. Not to mention the Moray chap. Still it’s a democracy. But 6 is such a minority. Anyway at least in Scotland the Tory MPs are mostly in well off areas. In Engerland a lot of the Tory voters were folk on benefits, WTF!!!

The bit in bold. And the SNP are such a minority at Westminster. Changing the boundaries so that they can be a majority doesn't sound very democratic, not least for the half of Scottish voters who didn't vote for them at the last GE.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Thought it was the Tories that we’re planning on changing boundaries.

Anyway so what your saying is so what if Scotland keeps voting for the SNP, England will decide who the government is for evermore and that’s democracy. Asking for an independence referendum is undemocratic? How dare we!!!!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    rjsterry said:

The bit in bold. And the SNP are such a minority at Westminster. Changing the boundaries so that they can be a majority doesn't sound very democratic, not least for the half of Scottish voters who didn't vote for them at the last GE.

The Conservative party only got a 43.6% share of the vote in the last GE so I guess that is just how democracy works.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry

Thought it was the Tories that we’re planning on changing boundaries.

Anyway so what your saying is so what if Scotland keeps voting for the SNP, England will decide who the government is for evermore and that’s democracy. Asking for an independence referendum is undemocratic? How dare we!!!!

No, the way to get a referendum is to elect a party at Westminster that will offer one. That's how you got the Scottish Parliament. Until the SNP stand candidates in England and Wales, it might be worth considering other options.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288

Nobody is saying you can't ask for one, the point is that you had one and your side lost. Be honest, if there was another indi ref tomorrow and you lost again you wouldn't shut up would you?
  • rjsterry
    pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

The Conservative party only got a 43.6% share of the vote in the last GE so I guess that is just how democracy works.
    Well it's how FPTP works. Not enough people agreed that we should change it when we had the opportunity so we're stuck with it until a party offering an alternative wins power under the current system.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    edited January 2020
    Exactly, that’s how it works for us. Currently.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • aberdeen_lune
    aberdeen_lune Posts: 547
    edited January 2020
    rjsterry said:

No, the way to get a referendum is to elect a party at Westminster that will offer one. That's how you got the Scottish Parliament. Until the SNP stand candidates in England and Wales, it might be worth considering other options.
    So the only way we can have a referendum is if the majority of voters in England vote for it?

Does that mean we are a vassal state? We have no say on our future.
  • shortfall said:

Nobody is saying you can't ask for one, the point is that you had one and your side lost. Be honest, if there was another indi ref tomorrow and you lost again you wouldn't shut up would you?
    Keep up with the thread please. Yes we had a referendum five years ago based on the lie that the only way to stay in Europe was to vote no to independence. There’s been a major change since then. The Scottish Parliament have voted for a referendum we should be able to have a referendum.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Yes and if you lose the next one you still won't shut up. If on the other hand you won it.........
  • Stevo_666

rjsterry said:

So the only way we can have a referendum is if the majority of voters in England vote for it?

Maybe the SNP should show they can make a decent fist of running the Scotland, which is I guess what they were elected to do - rather than just moaning about independence all the time. A quick Google of the SNP record to date isn't very good at all - especially when taking into account the extra funding it gets from England.

For example:
    https://buzzfeed.com/jamieross/heres-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-snps-9-years-run
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • So now we are too stupid to govern ourselves. I think Mark Renton had a point.
  • Stevo_666

So now we are too stupid to govern ourselves. I think Mark Renton had a point.

I didn't say that, you did...

Maybe you just have the wrong party in charge?
  • rjsterry
    edited January 2020

rjsterry said:

Bluntly, yes. Although specifically you need a majority of seats at Westminster. Same as any other policy you want enacted. The SNP didn't establish the Scottish Parliament. You have exactly the same say in your future as everyone else.
    Pinnacle Monzonite