Eurosport player

Comments

• How is the GCN race pass looking for next weekend?
    I ask as anyone stuck TV coverage from Eurosport next Friday/weekend is facing having a large tennis racket shoved between their buttocks.
    Probably just the last hour or so of the Giro and zero Binckbank, which makes me think LBL won't make tv screens either.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    The calendar only goes as far as Saturday and has the 15kms TT on 14:00-15:45 and highlights of Bincbank in the morning.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100

How is the GCN race pass looking for next weekend?
    I ask as anyone stuck TV coverage from Eurosport next Friday/weekend is facing having a large tennis racket shoved between their buttocks.
    Probably just the last hour or so of the Giro and zero Binckbank, which makes me think LBL won't make tv screens either.

According to the app, Race Pass appears to have:

Saturday:
    BinckBank 19:30 - 22:00
    Giro 18:10 - 21:50

Sunday:
    LBL men (no times yet)
    LBL women 16:25 - 17:55
    Giro 17:35 - 21:50

Subtract 6 hours for UK times.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • Those times match the Eurosport player.

The Giro whole stage being shown on Sunday, with those times.
    LBL 12-30 to 16-30 live, so I make that 18-30 to 22-30 for you.

A busy day!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    edited September 2020
    I've been subscribed to ES Player for a few years now. I usually watch via Eurosport.co.uk rather than the player... this now seems to give me the GCN watermarked, uninterrupted coverage which - to my knowledge - I haven't paid for.

Unless I'm misunderstanding how it all fits together.

EDIT FOR CLARIFICATION: this is absolutely fine!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • pblakeney
    Ben6899 said:

I've been subscribed to ES Player for a few years now. I usually watch via Eurosport.co.uk rather than the player... this now seems to give me the GCN watermarked, uninterrupted coverage which - to my knowledge - I haven't paid for.

Unless I'm misunderstanding how it all fits together.

EDIT FOR CLARIFICATION: this is absolutely fine!

I get the uninterrupted coverage on the ES player without any watermark.
    This is better than fine! 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,689
    Anybody else tried the new version Player app?

I have it on iPad, casting to tv via Apple tv box but it won't 'background' cast so can't switch to do other stuff such as typing on here while still watching. Reverted to old version.
  • Having checked RAI's schedule, it's quite clear that they are covering all stages live, in their entirety, but for some reason, Eurosport have opted for a 11-25 start each day, after Sicily.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    edited October 2020
    It now seems as if there will be no live Paris-Tours coverage on the player, unless somebody knows differently.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,327

It now seems as if there will be no live Paris-Nice coverage on the player, unless somebody knows differently.

Did you mean Paris-Tours? Or are you looking at next season's schedule already... I can't even keep up with today!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • It now seems as if there will be no live Paris-Nice coverage on the player, unless somebody knows differently.

Did you mean Paris-Tours? Or are you looking at next season's schedule already... I can't even keep up with today!

• bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    Why do they show a photo of the winner on the stage highlights list! Completely ruins it.
  • ducknumber1
    ducknumber1 Posts: 1,158
    bm5 said:

Why do they show a photo of the winner on the stage highlights list! Completely ruins it.

Or have it as the description, yesterday's highlights was "xxx xxx wins stage 9..."
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,622

bm5 said:

Or have it as the description, yesterday's highlights was "xxx xxx wins stage 9..."
    I've never understood why sports spoilers are considered, but TV spoilers are not.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    How's everyone found GCN Race Pass so far? Better than Eurosport Player for covering more races - seems to have a lot of cross covered for the winter months. Or do people think Eurosport is better, as you get other sports too?
    Anyone used it with a VPN while abroad?
    At the point of subscribing for one, thinking GCN at the moment.
    Any comments appreciated.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,622

How's everyone found GCN Race Pass so far? Better than Eurosport Player for covering more races - seems to have a lot of cross covered for the winter months. Or do people think Eurosport is better, as you get other sports too?

No experience of GCN, but everything I've wanted to watch has been on Eurosport player. It laso has the ad free coverage. Also, the way you can view something from the schedule over the last couple of days on Eurosport is really very good. Or you can just rewind 30 mins if you like.

Whether the other sports are of value depends what other sports you like.

The mobile app used to ask you to turn on your GPS, but it doesn't seem to any more.

• david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    I access Eurosport via the internet, not on the tv, it is superb but I think its the same as accessing it via GCN or am i missing something?
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    Used Eurosport Player for a couple of years, then the GCN App has proved to me that Eurosport Player is money down the drain.
    GCN App is much better for the cycling fan.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    I use the GCN app in Thailand via a VPN. I'm delighted with it.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    I've found the Eurosport Player pretty good for the last week or so either on my laptop or through the app on my Firestick TV. I'll probably stick with it as I do enjoy the wintersports in ES but if GCN have good CX coverage I might switch to that.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    Is the ad-free ES player a new thing? never used to be that way, and one of the reasons I went to GCN.
    Have found GCN better for avoiding spoilers, as mentioned above ESplayer often used headline or pics of the winner. Generally been good but still has the odd crash on my ipad needing restarting, and hiccoughs from time to time.

For me the full price products are both a bit steep (cos I'm and stingy) but I've always managed to find a discount sometime around the start of the season.
  • orraloon
    Is the ad free 'uninterrupted' feed on ES Player the same feed as on GCN?
  • pblakeney
    orraloon said:

Not having both it is hard to say with certainty, but I would say so going by the commentary.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,932
    orraloon said:

Yes.

Already cancelled the race pass for next year. Far to flaky on my Pad. 90% of the time I just get "Technical issues" on all live streams.

Will stick with ES player, which is a shame as I like the layout of GCN
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342

GCN has been great for me so far. Only exception was they didn't have the rights to show the World Championships in Germany. Can recommend it wholeheartedly. I don't really use the App. Just the webpage which works great on an iMac.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • cq20
    cq20 Posts: 207
    I use the GCN app on an iPhone 7 (pretty old) and an iPad (3 years old). It was worked flawlessly- no problems at all. I’m happy with my subscription. My mate mirrors his iPhone to an Apple TV box and he says it is perfect.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,584
    orraloon said:

Yep, they were a bit naughty really, as initially it sounded like the ad free stuff was only available on racepass, where as in fact when you look back on ES Player it is there for any subscriber.

I have both currently, but ES player is due to expire.

Don't have a TV setup currently as nearing the end of building work, so not sure if racepass will cast as well as es player did to a chromecast device.
    Having said that the bulk of my use is on a laptop anyhow.

Positives of racepass is the breakaway show if you like a bit of punditry, pretty sure that is not on ES player - they also have a 'raceshow' I think which is racepass only.

Negatives (if it is one) is that you have no option to view the 90 minutes highlights programme that goes out on ES.
    No other sports available also of course.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Thanks for the feedback! Sounds like a difficult choice...

Is Eurosport expected to cover as much CX action as GCN are already listing?
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I much prefer racepass. Casts reliably from my Samsung S10. Can't install it on our ancient iPad though (7 years old maybe?).

It had a few issues early on but they don't seem to have recurred.

Find the layout much clearer than Eurosport - couldn't really say whether there was more CX on GCN because it seems much clearer to me what is actually showing on GCN, but it looks like there is?

The Breakaway is decent for a bit of punditry. For me kind of bridges the gap between the live show and the ITV Tour highlights package in terms of the extra content.
  • orraloon
    The Breakaway is on the ES Player. Select Sport Cycling and episodes are there. Though I don't seem to see it listed on the Schedule therefore never sure when it's supposed to be on.