Eurosport player

1111213141517»

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,644
    webboo said:

I have just turned the internet off and on and it’s working again.

Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

webboo said:

My 4K stick is now playing on demand content.
    My ordinary stick is still a no go.
    Don’t take this the wrong way, but it’s nice to find out that I am not alone.
    Thought I might have missed a crucial software update due to being unplugged for almost a month.
    Mines gone t!ts up again.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    edited October 2022
    webboo said:

webboo said:

My 4K stick is now playing on demand content.
    My ordinary stick is still a no go.
    Don’t take this the wrong way, but it’s nice to find out that I am not alone.
    Thought I might have missed a crucial software update due to being unplugged for almost a month.
    Mines gone t!ts up again.
    Mine too.
    Working again after switching the stick off.
    Still….
    They need to sort it out pronto.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    A friend who is a bit of a whizz at sorting out this type of thing was visiting, when I did the turning on and off thing. So I couldn’t show her the issue but as soon as she leaves it bu9gers up.
    It couldn’t be related to Charlie the farmer ploughing and going up and down the field at the back.
    Or the fact I had my 4th Covid jab today. Do I need to wave my arm about to get it working. >:)
  • webboo said:

A friend who is a bit of a whizz at sorting out this type of thing was visiting, when I did the turning on and off thing. So I couldn’t show her the issue but as soon as she leaves it bu9gers up.
    It couldn’t be related to Charlie the farmer ploughing and going up and down the field at the back.
    Or the fact I had my 4th Covid jab today. Do I need to wave my arm about to get it working. >:)

Mine is down again today, so I went to contact the help centre.
    What do you know? There’s a message on their homepage acknowledging they have technical issues effecting android apps which means we can’t access content atm.

I am using Tiz’s YouTube content for now. It’s basically all their on demand races in full.
  • Whilst not strictly Eurosport, I note that GCN lost £10m last year. Now some of that may be costs incurred that generates income across Warner Bros Discovery. I also see a sharp drop in WBD share price this year. More than halved.

I wouldn’t be taking wall to wall cycling coverage for granted.
  • Where did you see that reported?

Massive number that.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited October 2022

Where did you see that reported?

Massive number that.

It's bogus. As of this month:

https://www.networthspot.com/gcn-racing/net-worth/

Although Warner Bros Discovery share price did initially fall off a cliff and is still heading down, but at a much reduced rate
  • Where did you see that reported?

Massive number that.

It's bogus. As of this month:

https://www.networthspot.com/gcn-racing/net-worth/

Although Warner Bros Discovery share price did initially fall off a cliff and is still heading down, but at a much reduced rate
    You are trying to extrapolate the value of a you tube channel not the actual Play Sports Network company, who publish accounts at Companies House, that are audited. Those accounts to 31-12-21 show a loss of more than £10m. After a loss of £6m the previous year.

So not bogus . At all.

Have a look for yourself.

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/08265494/filing-history
  • I should add that there may be good reasons for the losses (as I originally said) and it’s seen as an investment, but to call them bogus is categorically incorrect.
  • I should add that there may be good reasons for the losses (as I originally said) and it’s seen as an investment, but to call them bogus is categorically incorrect.

Thanks for the link, it's nice to get these things pointed out for folks to mull over.

I note that they account for a chunk of the loss by the development of the GCN+ app.
    Also GCN+ was the primary contributor in the almost doubling of revenue for PSN (£10.3 to £17.2M) in 2021, with the largest growth in percentage and absolute terms.
    That, while only contributing for 10 months of the year.

I am about as financial competent as the current Chancellor of the Exchequer, but it appears to me that the bottom line is in the black.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,647

• Doesn’t change the fact the balance sheet is 17m in the red. I doubt WBD will keep financing forever.

You’d have to have your head in the sand if you think things are rosey for GCN. I don’t think GCN will have the plug pulled yet. I’m just saying don’t take this for granted
  • blazing_saddles
    edited October 2022

Doesn’t change the fact the balance sheet is 17m in the red. I doubt WBD will keep financing forever.

You’d have to have your head in the sand if you think things are rosey for GCN. I don’t think GCN will have the plug pulled yet. I’m just saying don’t take this for granted
    Admittedly I only scanned the accounts pdf, but I thought the figure for last year was 10 mill?
    I did see the figure 17 mill, but only in terms of revenue generated.

Another thought: Would WBD get rid of PSN altogether, or initially trim the deadwood?
    In which case, why not keep GCN+ if it is pulling in the punters and continues to grow?
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    I think the latest figures are just a reflection of significant investment over the last year. Next year's are likely to be just as bad because aren't they in talks to purchase BT Sport??
  • stage_hunter
    stage_hunter Posts: 309
    edited October 2022
    redvision said:

I think the latest figures are just a reflection of significant investment over the last year. Next year's are likely to be just as bad because aren't they in talks to purchase BT Sport??

Im talking about GCN rather than Eurosport. What appears to have happened is that WBD and BT have merged Eurosport and BT sport into one joint venture. Effectively at some point, I guess next year, they will merge. What effect that will have on cycling coverage who knows. Again, don’t take it for granted.

Edit. If it was investment they could potentially carry it forward as an asset.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,388
    Tried to put Eurosport player on at the weekend and it was asking me to login which it doesn’t usually do then I realised it is just past its renewal. I didn’t get the usual renewal email so I guess that’s why.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    My subscription runs until June (just before the TdF starts so guess what happens) but I also got a login request at weekend on my firestick app version, which bar install had not happened before.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157
    I just logged onto my account to cancel auto renewal in case I was "upgraded" to Discovery+. My renewal is due in March and will be £19.99. Tempted gamble on - stick.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • orraloon said:

My subscription runs until June (just before the TdF starts so guess what happens) but I also got a login request at weekend on my firestick app version, which bar install had not happened before.

Yeah, mine expires in June too.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,388
    Actually mine still runs until the end of December and is showing renewal as £39.99 which is the same as last year so it looks like my Firestick had just logged me out for some reason. To be honest whilst I’d rather pay £19.99 if I can but £39.99 for the amount of cycling I’ve watched this year still seems decent value. Now I work from home permanently I can have pretty much every race on my laptop screen whilst working on the main screen.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157
    Pross said:

Actually mine still runs until the end of December and is showing renewal as £39.99 which is the same as last year so it looks like my Firestick had just logged me out for some reason. To be honest whilst I’d rather pay £19.99 if I can but £39.99 for the amount of cycling I’ve watched this year still seems decent value. Now I work from home permanently I can have pretty much every race on my laptop screen whilst working on the main screen.

In "Billing" my renewal is £39.99. In "Subscription" my renewal is £19.99.
    Confusing. 🤔
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross said:

I'm on a two monitors and a laptop set up, with my tablet under one monitor out of Teams chat view. It's the new WFH normal innit.
  • If you use an Apple TV box it's game over from January 2023.
  • I am still in Argentina but I am still getting notifications.
    As far as I know, the old Eurosport player dies in January but those of us with fire sticks should be able to just login and carry on.
    For phones etc, dump the player app and download the Eurosport. Com app.
    Imo it’s significantly inferior. I could even find a search option.