Eurosport player

Comments

• gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,564
    It’s showing on GCN 1300-1430 (stage 3)
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    Anyone else get the distinct impression that Eurosport are trying to offload cycling to GCN?
    Scheduled Trittico Lombardo interrupted to show snooker.
    I can take a hint, I will not be renewing, and I've informed them so.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    It’s gone to the snooker because they cannot get any pictures because of the weather.
  • pblakeney
    They said GCN was continuing though and I be happier with something over nothing.
    I'll take it back if that is not the case.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • webboo
    I’ve player on my iPad and I can watch the clock on the finish line and see a lot of wet Italians.
  • webboo
    I’ve now got pictures but just ambient sound.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,564
    I'm not entirely sure if I'm watching this race or some 2019 one
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • pblakeney said:

Anyone else get the distinct impression that Eurosport are trying to offload cycling to GCN?

I said as much a couple of posts ago.
    Next Sunday's big stage in L'Ain being absent from the player, but on GCN.
    Exactly what they did to tv subscriptions, when the ES player came along and how they have played it since: certain key coverage only available by purchasing yet another option.
    Smaller sports followers are always getting the shaft.
    Premier Sports is the biggest culprit.
    Twice as much for "full" subscription (to watch in my case, rugby) over the just football option, when 90% of their coverage is football.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • gweeds said:

I'm not entirely sure if I'm watching this race or some 2019 one

The rain is the clue. ;)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • pblakeney
    Wasn't watching snooker so went and did something more interesting instead.
    Missed the end of the race. 🤬
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,596
    Has anyone tried GCN's catch up? Is it possible to watch without spoliers?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579
    edited August 2020

pblakeney said:

I said as much a couple of posts ago.
    Next Sunday's big stage in L'Ain being absent from the player, but on GCN.
    Exactly what they did to tv subscriptions, when the ES player came along and how they have played it since: certain key coverage only available by purchasing yet another option.
    Smaller sports followers are always getting the shaft.
    Premier Sports is the biggest culprit.
    Twice as much for "full" subscription (to watch in my case, rugby) over the just football option, when 90% of their coverage is football.

Damntation, was just coming on to ask the same thing.

I have an ES player sub, and have had for 4 years or so, but it has to be said I predominantly watch cycling.
    I wanted to watch L'Ain on catch up, but it simply does not exist on the player - some 'feeds' have ES commentary people, so have to assume it on GCN.

Does the GCN player even have a proper web app yet?
    I want to watch it on a laptop whilst on the turbo, so if it's not ready yet, they shouldn't be taking these actions already.

I was just looking for the sweary emoticon, then remembered that is on ms teams.

*I appreciate the fact the GCN version is devoid of adverts - well currently anyway, but how long will that last I wonder.....
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,339
    GCN is not officially on a desktop version. There seems to be a workaround for windows only.

I texted them on an instagram advert, that I'd subscribe if I can watch it on my iMac.

They replied saying they are working on a desktop/web version and expect it to come out in August (yes this month). Just a shame, that their offer of 19,99€ for the whole year expires on the 12.08. and they will most likely not have the web version ready in 2 days.

I'm not going to subscribe on the chance they will keep word and release a web/MacOS version. At present, I gave away my TV and only use the iMac to watch cycling/sports. Not going to pay GCN to watch cycling on my phone (don't have an iPad etc.)
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • I just asked Rob Hatch on Twitter about the Web version and GCN replied to say they're developing one and hope to launch it soon.

One thing I've noticed is because GCN is ad free, the breaks aren't announced on Eurosport, and by the time they come back they're halfway through discussing something (in this case it was MSR and Carlton and Brian talking about Jakobsen)
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,433
    I'm pretty p1$$ed off with eurosport, I only purchase the player for access to cycling (home of cycling used to be a thing, but haven't heard it much of late). I won't be renewing and I'm not going to bother with GCN for the time being.
  • m.r.m.
    I texted German and English versions of GCN on instagram to extend their offer until the web version comes out. Let's see what they say.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,675
    As a newbie to Eurosport Player, is the on-demand content labelled Multi-Audio what is being shown on GCN? Example, heat dodging this pm, I caught up with stage 3 Tour de l'Ain, and the multi-audio option ran straight through with no advert breaks. Quite like not having to FF over interminable gambling ads.
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    In anticipation of the Tour etc I'll be looking to subscribe to either GCN or ES player. Any recommendations, watching exclusively on Apple products, if that makes a difference.
  • pblakeney
    Not so much a recommendation but expect ES cycling highlights to be cut should it overlap tennis, or snooker, or.... Live coverage less so, but still....
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • webboo
    I discovered that if I click on anything that’s listed in the schedule even previous days. It plays the programme/ race even if that race is not listed in the ones on demand. This is on an IPad.
    This may be common knowledge to some. I was able to watch Milan San Remo from the start seconds after if finished.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,675
    webboo said:

I discovered that if I click on anything that’s listed in the schedule even previous days. It plays the programme/ race even if that race is not listed in the ones on demand. This is on an IPad.
    This may be common knowledge to some. I was able to watch Milan San Remo from the start seconds after if finished.

Nice spot 👍 I hadn't clocked that functionality. Also using iPad, casting to tv via (an early version) Apple Tv unit.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,596
    Thanks. Good way to avoid spoilers.

Wish it was possible with Sky.
  • pblakeney
    webboo said:

Good call! Although I did get L'Ain highlights when I clicked on TdP highlights but that may be a glitch.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    It's still buggy AF, but it's improving.

I could re-watch the last 10 km of MSR the day after ok and see all the stuff I missed 😡
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579
    I have subscribed to racepass, or rather paid for 12 months , and will update in due course.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • m.r.m.
    I subscribed to GCN Race Pass for 19,99€ on good faith they will be able to deliver a web/macOS version soon. Today is the last day of the 50% off offer, so anyone on the fence should hurry.
  • Yeah I signed up today. Hopefully the Web version is launched by the end of the Tour, otherwise I'll have to buy a Chrome Cast. Seems good value from what I've seen so far, but very glitchy (although I guess that's to be expected with a brand new offering)
  • ddraver
    I would say the glitchy-ness has improved in the past week so they are working hard on it
    - @ddraver
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,558
    Anyone struggling to get GCN player to display in landscape mode? I get audio and a blank screen..... fine in vertical (albeit small)
  • ddraver

@dish - yes, sometimes. I have to close and reopen, then it works (android)
    - @ddraver