Eurosport player

Comments

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,568

A quick check of that GCN race schedule above and things become a little clearer. Only one of the races owned by the Flander classics lot appears in their list.
    Fortunately, the Ronde van Vlaanderen is still covered, but the following races are missing.

Omloop Het Nieuwsblad
    Gent-Wevelgem - In Flanders Fields
    Dwars Door Vlaanderen
    Scheldeprijs
    De Brabantse Pijl.

So as yorkshireraw mentions above, it's returning to as it was a few years back, with a large hole in the Eurosport cycling portfolio.

I think they've made last minute additions to the schedule in the past?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • A quick check of that GCN race schedule above and things become a little clearer. Only one of the races owned by the Flander classics lot appears in their list.
    Fortunately, the Ronde van Vlaanderen is still covered, but the following races are missing.

Omloop Het Nieuwsblad
    Dwars Door Vlaanderen
    Scheldeprijs
    De Brabantse Pijl.

So as yorkshireraw mentions above, it's returning to as it was a few years back, with a large hole in the Eurosport cycling portfolio.

Doesn't make sense unless they've seen the rate of GCN+ subscribers going up and have asked for a big chunk of cash.

I’d be surprised if they were covering costs yet. Certainly across the group as they would have had some attrition from Eurosport player subs. Anyone know what the subscriber numbers are?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,657
    Non World Tour races owned by flanders classics..?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • A quick check of that GCN race schedule above and things become a little clearer. Only one of the races owned by the Flander classics lot appears in their list.

Omloop Het Nieuwsblad
    Dwars Door Vlaanderen
    Scheldeprijs
    De Brabantse Pijl.

Doesn't make sense unless they've seen the rate of GCN+ subscribers going up and have asked for a big chunk of cash.

I’d be surprised if they were covering costs yet. Certainly across the group as they would have had some attrition from Eurosport player subs. Anyone know what the subscriber numbers are?
    you could be correct ref costs - Flanders Classics will just look at how many subscribers there are (if they are given that info) and say 'ok - you can afford to pay us this' even if that doesn't make commercial sense to GCN.

This is where the teams & sponsors should be bringing pressure to bear - if I'm Citroen, and just spent a chunk of cash hiring GVA, Jungels etc who are likely to be prominent in these kind of races, I'd want those riders exposed to the largest multinational audience possible.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605

A quick check of that GCN race schedule above and things become a little clearer. Only one of the races owned by the Flander classics lot appears in their list.

Omloop Het Nieuwsblad
    Dwars Door Vlaanderen
    Scheldeprijs
    De Brabantse Pijl.

That really blows.

Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • gweeds

Omloop Het Nieuwsblad
    Dwars Door Vlaanderen
    Scheldeprijs
    De Brabantse Pijl.

you could be correct ref costs - Flanders Classics will just look at how many subscribers there are (if they are given that info) and say 'ok - you can afford to pay us this' even if that doesn't make commercial sense to GCN.

This is where the teams & sponsors should be bringing pressure to bear - if I'm Citroen, and just spent a chunk of cash hiring GVA, Jungels etc who are likely to be prominent in these kind of races, I'd want those riders exposed to the largest multinational audience possible.
    Absolutely - as it stands we're back to finding crappy feeds from the likes of Sporza which just makes ZERO sense to anyone.

Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,120
    I've been watching Eurosport Player through the app on my Firestick but having not watched anything for a while the app has disappeared and when I search it I get directed to getting it through Prime Video and paying for it but no way of using my existing account. Anyone else experiencing this? I've still got a Eurosport app but it's a black and white logo not the red and white player app, it also doesn't seem to open for me.
  • Pross said:

I've been watching Eurosport Player through the app on my Firestick but having not watched anything for a while the app has disappeared and when I search it I get directed to getting it through Prime Video and paying for it but no way of using my existing account. Anyone else experiencing this? I've still got a Eurosport app but it's a black and white logo not the red and white player app, it also doesn't seem to open for me.

I've got the app on two Fire sticks. Both have the black and white logo and both work fine.
    I did get re-directed a few weeks back to make a new password, but since then, no issues at all.

Right, I have just scrolled across to apps, gone to catagories and then to sports.
    It's has the B&W Eurosport logo at number 2 on the first line for me.
    So the app should be there for you.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,120
    Cheers, I'll try again. My Firestick was running slow in general today so might have just been that.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,863
    I was watching and enjoying stage 2 of Tour of Alpes-Maritimes earlier (Unable to find stage 1 weirdly) and a new commentator was on with Matt Stephens.

I'm 99% sure she was called Josie, but I think she also said she was not a cyclist, or maybe just not an expro. I thought she sounded possibly Dutch - do we know who she is?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Pross said:

Cheers, I'll try again. My Firestick was running slow in general today so might have just been that.

Sometimes they just need to be unplugged and plugged in again.

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,441
    daniel_b said:

I was watching and enjoying stage 2 of Tour of Alpes-Maritimes earlier (Unable to find stage 1 weirdly) and a new commentator was on with Matt Stephens.

I'm 99% sure she was called Josie, but I think she also said she was not a cyclist, or maybe just not an expro. I thought she sounded possibly Dutch - do we know who she is?

Jose Been.

https://twitter.com/TourDeJose
  • daniel_b said:

The reason you couldn't find stage 1 coverage is because there wasn't any to start with.
    For some reason the hosts chose only to have live coverage of saturday and Sunday stages.

The commentator was indeed Dutch. It was Jose Been. I can vouch for the fact that she does cycling, just not professionally.
    Brief bio here:

https://www.tourdejosemedia.nl/about-me/
  • ddraver
    She's kinda the Dutch Orla Chennaoui, but slanted a little more towards commentary. (in that she does some)
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    ddraver said:

She's kinda the Dutch Orla Chennaoui, but slanted a little more towards commentary. (in that she does some)

I would suggest they are polar opposites. One overly enthusiastic, the other overly negative.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    In terms of TV coverage, I mean...

I'm withholding opinion until I hear her commentating on the basis that twitter isn't real life...
    - @ddraver
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,769
    I thought she was good :)
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

I thought she was good :)

I thought she was trying too hard. The commentating partnership works on one doing the lead commentating and one doing the analysis/colour. And she was trying to do both. As was Matt Stephens. I didn't know who was doing what and as a result neither got done properly. Maybe she feels that as a woman she has to prove herself, but she needs to defer to the ex-pro when necessary and bring them in.

Also Bauke Mollema said this, Bauke Mollema tweeted this, Bauke Mollema knows these roads, Bauke Mollema's Instagram. You're Dutch. I get that. But this isn't Dutch Eurosport.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • I thought she was good :)

Yesterday, she gave me a headache. So much to say.
    Gone are the commentary days when a pause says as much as a hundred words.

Still, much better than Kirby, who today had his endless "who might win the stage? because I can't explain what is actually happening." cruelly exposed by the crosswinds.
    I doubt that Fernando Gaviria has ever had his name mentioned so many times in 90 minutes.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,453

Omloop Het Nieuwsblad
    Dwars Door Vlaanderen
    Scheldeprijs
    De Brabantse Pijl.

If I can't get all the classics and the GT's I don't really know why I'm paying for GCN. 🙄🤬
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Have Eurosport got some the random Belgian mid-week 1 dayers still?

It's great stumbling across La Samyn with a hardy mix of WT / Pro-conti units battling it out through some small villages - usually with Declan Quigley (normally v good) and Magnus B on comms.
  • gregster04
    gregster04 Posts: 1,753
    m.r.m. said:

Omloop Het Nieuwsblad
    Dwars Door Vlaanderen
    Scheldeprijs
    De Brabantse Pijl.

If I can't get all the classics and the GT's I don't really know why I'm paying for GCN. 🙄🤬
    My understanding was that I was basically paying for all of Eurosport’s cycling content packaged up in a GCN App. So I lost out on all the other sports but gained some GCN content (sounds like I’m going to have lots of time to do a nice quiz and a poll whilst OHN and the other classics are going on).
  • gutted no Flanders Classics on GCN+, should we rename it GCN- ?
  • crossed
    crossed Posts: 237
    RichN95. said:

ddraver said:

I would suggest they are polar opposites. One overly enthusiastic, the other overly negative.
    But neither of them are Rochelle Gilmore, which can only be a good thing!
  • gutted no Flanders Classics on GCN+, should we rename it GCN- ?

L'Equipe have shown OHN in recent seasons, even though it clashes with two of their French semi-classics.
    Unfortunately, they have gone the same way as Eurosport/GCN too.
    At the moment, I only know that it's being shown by Sporza (Flemish) and RTBF (French) in Belgium.
    If this is the case then why haven't the UCI removed OHN from the WT calendar, since international coverage is a prerequisite for all WT races?
  • gweeds
    Flanders Classics really winding back the clock here, and not even peering into the room, let alone reading it.

• ddraver
    edited February 2021
    They must have sold it to someone, As BS says they're obliged to offer international coverage...?!? If 'Proximus' count, I'd say they ve found a gaping loophole.
    - @ddraver
  • gweeds
    I think there was a Rouleur newsletter last week about who has the rights but I can't find it now.
  • gweeds
    Digging around, it seems that the rights for the whole FC race list are up for grabs for the next 8 year period. They appear to have asked for a significant bump, ES and GCN (plus others) have so far said no.

So who's going to blink. You'd have to think this has hit the UCI, lead sponsors and neutral service providers like Shimano.
  • ddraver
    Just so I'm clear also, there is still no difference between GCN+ and ES coverage?

This is something to do with FC...
    - @ddraver