So who now for the Yellow Jersey ?

Comments

• Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    id like Yates to win. Or G. but please please please not that whining tosspot Porte
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,917
    Dumoulin is still having problems with his knee isn't he? Has he enough time for it to be 100% by the tour?
    Nibbles will be a danger, but what did the giro take out of him?
    Pinot will lose time in the TTs to the likes of Thomas, as will Yates you'd expect. Bardet will lose minutes as soon as he looks at a TT bike.
    Bernal and Thomas will be a strong double act.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,579
    No-one gonna mention Porte?
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Dumoulin is still having problems with his knee isn't he? Has he enough time for it to be 100% by the tour?
    Nibbles will be a danger, but what did the giro take out of him?
    Pinot will lose time in the TTs to the likes of Thomas, as will Yates you'd expect. Bardet will lose minutes as soon as he looks at a TT bike.
    Bernal and Thomas will be a strong double act.

Is Nibali riding? Ill add him to my list of happy to see wins :)
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Pross wrote:
    Quite amazing Thomas touted as a natural to win - when he looked overweight earlier in the year and has done 4 stage races this year with GC: 44, dnf , 40 and 3rd and less than 3k of racing this season.

What you basing it on?

Well having seen him close up last Saturday he's not carrying an ounce of spare baggage now and is apparently down at 68kg as someone else on here can verify having spoken to him.

As for form I guess we'll know in a week but it's hardly a surprise that people are tipping him as the new favourite when he's defending champion is it, especially with Dumoulin recovering from injury and many of the other likely contenders initially dodging the Tour and opting to ride the Giro? Whether he can do it with the pressure of being official team leader is the biggest question.

Pinot has been looking good though as has Yates. Should make for a good race.

To think after SCS posted this, I bit my tongue all yesterday afternoon and evening, too.
    Yeah, that would be me. Spoke to him on Saturday. Info is first hand and correct. He looked as fit as a butcher's dog.
    Switzerland was always on his dance card, btw.

Also spoke to someone pretty close to Tom Dumoulin who said if he didn't go well this week, he won't go well at the Tour.
    Obviously he is not in shape to contest the GC here, then he's gone and had a so so ITT, but was in the break on stage 1.
    So, too early in the week to tell.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    I believe Nibali has said he is targetting stage wins at the Tour. I'd love to see Dan Martin and/or Richie Porte do well this year. I think Ineos will still be the team to beat though - they looked invincible before, they still look very strong even after the awful crash that has caused Froome's withdrawl.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • specialgueststar
    specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
    edited June 2019
    Pross wrote:
    Quite amazing Thomas touted as a natural to win - when he looked overweight earlier in the year and has done 4 stage races this year with GC: 44, dnf , 40 and 3rd and less than 3k of racing this season.

What you basing it on?

Well having seen him close up last Saturday he's not carrying an ounce of spare baggage now and is apparently down at 68kg as someone else on here can verify having spoken to him.

As for form I guess we'll know in a week but it's hardly a surprise that people are tipping him as the new favourite when he's defending champion is it, especially with Dumoulin recovering from injury and many of the other likely contenders initially dodging the Tour and opting to ride the Giro? Whether he can do it with the pressure of being official team leader is the biggest question.

To think after SCS posted this, I bit my tongue all yesterday afternoon and evening, too.
    Yeah, that would be me. Spoke to him on Saturday. Info is first hand and correct. He looked as fit as a butcher's dog.

Also spoke to someone pretty close to Tom Dumoulin who said if he didn't go well this week, he won't go well at the Tour.
    Obviously he is not in shape to contest the GC here, then he's gone and had a so so ITT, but was in the break on stage 1.

So you are basing it on he has got down to 68kg with minimal racing ? Has he been cutting down on carbs like Froome when he got to 66kg. Is Thomas looking to get more off?
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    So you are basing it on he has got down to 68kg with minimal racing ?

Plenty of racing days between now and crunch time in the Tour to sharpen the fitness spear. Anyone to sharp now and they'll likely be on their knees by the end of the Tour.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    inseine wrote:
    When will the French learn that TTS are important? Bardet isn’t helped by having different bike supplier every year.
    or a Schleck like ability/ shape on a TT rig. those merckx bikes will probably be a step down from the factor rigs he had last year. not sure what he needs to target. stage wins would probably be best.
  • philbar72 wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    When will the French learn that TTS are important? Bardet isn’t helped by having different bike supplier every year.
    or a Schleck like ability/ shape on a TT rig. those merckx bikes will probably be a step down from the factor rigs he had last year. not sure what he needs to target. stage wins would probably be best.

Your all frothing about this aren't you ?- especially when he gained a place (14th from 15th). He was only 10-12 secs down on Dan Martin Dowsett, Poels Quintana etc

Why are you going on about the bike for Slight hysteria don't you think? :roll: :roll:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,149
    Pinot is a far better chance for France than Bardet IMO. Pinot wins races occasionally, Bardet doesn't (occasional stage aside)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,385

lol no

( :wink: )
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Pinot is a far better chance for France than Bardet IMO. Pinot wins races occasionally, Bardet doesn't (occasional stage aside)

Your statement requires some context : Second in the Tour twice and last years World championship. (and Strade)

I agree though it would be good to see him take some of the smaller stage races

Last year I would have thought Bardet was in the better position, this year Pinot seems to have it
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,474
    Pross wrote:

What you basing it on?

So you are basing it on he has got down to 68kg with minimal racing ? Has he been cutting down on carbs like Froome when he got to 66kg. Is Thomas looking to get more off?

People seemed happy with Froome being favourite having done 4 stage races (91st, 94th, 11th and 13th on GC) and just over 3,000km prior to coming into the Dauphine so I'm not seeing anything massively different in preparation there.
  • I wouldn't say happy....
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,474
    I wouldn't say happy....

Widely accepted as the favourite then?
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    philbar72 wrote:
    inseine wrote:

Your all frothing about this aren't you ?- especially when he gained a place (14th from 15th). He was only 10-12 secs down on Dan Martin Dowsett, Poels Quintana etc

Why are you going on about the bike for Slight hysteria don't you think? :roll: :roll:
    Very French answer ;) who cares about TTs ? Bardet lost 2 mins, that’s not good.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

Your statement requires some context : Second in the Tour twice and last years World championship. (and Strade)

Last year I would have thought Bardet was in the better position, this year Pinot seems to have it
    I gave you context. Bardet doesn't win races. It's a mentality thing. Winners mould a race to their ends while those that are often top five are good at adapting to the moulding of others.

Proactive v Reactive
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Cyrille Guimard was talking on L’equipe about time trialing, saying not all French riders have a TT bike at home ‘ after all, look how few hours of TTing per year’, it’s not a big deal.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091

I don't usually do a preview of the Lanterne Rouge until the week before.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

I gave you context. Bardet doesn't win races. It's a mentality thing. Winners mould a race to their ends while those that are often top five are good at adapting to the moulding of others.

Proactive v Reactive
    What is our best chance in European football? - well Tottenham never win the European cup (in the modern era)
  • blazing_saddles
    Pross wrote:

What you basing it on?

That and the fact that he went well in Romandie, has just come off a very good block of training in Tenerife.
    The point was that you and others have been pointing the finger, claiming he being overweight was effecting his performance. Now you know that is no longer a valid argument.
    But like I said, wait and see how he goes in Switzerland, where he was always heading despite rumours to the contrary.
    On inspection and for once, the Swiss race looks to be set up to resemble the last week of the Tour, far more than the Dauphine.
    Also, you are reluctant to acknowledge Froome as the pre-race favourite, but then the title of this thread accepts this fact as a given. Even L'Equipe made him the only 5 star favourite for the Dauphine.

Now on the subject of frothing, the only person I see using exclamation on question marks, rolling eyes etc in their posts is you.
    You clearly don't agree with any of the above, but are yet to throw the name of who you see as the TDF favourite into the ring. How about you do that now, so his chances can be debated?
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,917
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

I gave you context. Bardet doesn't win races. ........................

It's not just Bardet though, it's AG2R, they have an abysmal record of winning don't they? there simply isn't a winning culture in the team, period.
  • Dorset Boy wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

It's not just Bardet though, it's AG2R, they have an abysmal record of winning don't they? there simply isn't a winning culture in the team, period.

Ha ha that's just ridiculous
  • Pross wrote:

What you basing it on?

That and the fact that he went well in Romandie, has just come off a very good block of training in Tenerife.
    The point was that you and others have been pointing the finger, claiming he being overweight was effecting his performance. Now you know that is no longer a valid argument.
    But like I said, wait and see how he goes in Switzerland, where he was always heading despite rumours to the contrary.
    On inspection and for once, the Swiss race looks to be set up to resemble the last week of the Tour, far more than the Dauphine.
    Also, you are reluctant to acknowledge Froome as the pre-race favourite, but then the title of this thread accepts this fact as a given. Even L'Equipe made him the only 5 star favourite for the Dauphine.

Now on the subject of frothing, the only person I see using exclamation on question marks, rolling eyes etc in their posts is you.
    You clearly don't agree with any of the above, but are yet to throw the name of who you see as the TDF favourite into the ring. How about you do that now, so his chances can be debated?

I am not sure what an exclamation on question marks is. I thought you used question marks if your are asking a question. The eye-rolling is at the hysteria not a symptom of it.

I simply asked what you were basing Thomas' status as being a favourite based on his preparation. You seem to have been insulted by this and flew off the handle. Eventually it seems he is 68 kg and in good form after a block of training. Why didn't you just say that? I am nearly rolling my eyes again.
  • blazing_saddles
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Mmmmm

OK, so 9 wins so far this season.
    1 at WT at the Giro from the breakaway.
    8 in .1 French races.
    3 from Gougeard in a breakaway.

Still waiting upon that name....
  • RichN95.
    What is our best chance in European football? - well Tottenham never win the European cup (in the modern era)
    Bardet is the Spurs of football. That seems about right.
  • No-one gonna mention Porte?

I don't usually do a preview of the Lanterne Rouge until the week before.

:mrgreen:
  • blazing_saddles
    Kruijswijk anyone?
    He'd be my dark horse pick.
  • Dorset Boy wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Mmmmm

OK, so 9 wins so far this season.
    1 at WT at the Giro from the breakaway.
    8 in .1 French races.
    3 from Gougeard in a breakaway.

Still waiting upon that name....

Keep going (but don't let it get to you)