Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,062
    Footage shows the moment Xi Jinping told Vladimir Putin that "change is coming" as he departed Moscow.

The Chinese president was the first world leader to shake hands with Putin since he was charged with war crimes by the ICC over the deportation of Ukrainian children to Russia.

"Change is coming that hasn't happened in 100 years and we are driving this change together," he told the Russian president.

It was Xi's first trip to the country in four years.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/tv/news/russia-putin-war-china-xi-jinping-b2305676.html
    I'm hoping this is related to ice skating, gymnastics... something nice.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,341

Footage shows the moment Xi Jinping told Vladimir Putin that "change is coming" as he departed Moscow.

The Chinese president was the first world leader to shake hands with Putin since he was charged with war crimes by the ICC over the deportation of Ukrainian children to Russia.

"Change is coming that hasn't happened in 100 years and we are driving this change together," he told the Russian president.

https://www.independent.co.uk/tv/news/russia-putin-war-china-xi-jinping-b2305676.html
    He's probably worked out that he can extract something useful from Russia.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,062
    rjsterry said:

I wish we were sitting on abundant resources as a Country.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

rjsterry said:

I wish we were sitting on abundant resources as a Country.
    https://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/resource-curse.asp#:~:text=It mainly occurs when a,it avoid a resource curse.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

The world has some weird people, I know. But FaceBook has thrown up this as a suggested Group I might like to join. I’ll never understand their algorithms… but what intrigues me is this group has 88 thousand members!

I had that one last week and showed the mrs.

I assume it’s an algorithm seeing it get good uptake so sharing it more widely.

It’s the problem with ball these algorithms funnelling us in collective directions.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

Peruvian Moche skeleton pots.

Google it.

Does not disappoint.

The museum in Quitto has a fine collection of similar pottery.
    Will put it on my bucket list.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,756
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Peruvian Moche skeleton pots.

Google it.

Does not disappoint.

The museum in Quitto has a fine collection of similar pottery.
    Will put it on my bucket list.
    E.g.

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,006
    How 'only' 38 people (counted so far) perished in this nighttime tornado strike:

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,396
    What the hell possessed me to enter a 16 mile fell race with over 4,500 feet of climbing? I know steep climbs don’t agree with me and I know I don’t run well off-road. I’ll probably make the same mistake again next year too!
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Pross said:

What the hell possessed me to enter a 16 mile fell race with over 4,500 feet of climbing? I know steep climbs don’t agree with me and I know I don’t run well off-road. I’ll probably make the same mistake again next year too!

This is awesome. So not only will you spend the whole race saying to yourself “what on earth was I thinking?”, you aren’t even enjoying the pre race delusion of it being awesome.

I wish you well next year as your participation seems guaranteed.
  • Pross
    morstar said:

Pross said:

This is awesome. So not only will you spend the whole race saying to yourself “what on earth was I thinking?”, you aren’t even enjoying the pre race delusion of it being awesome.

I wish you well next year as your participation seems guaranteed.
    12 miles in and with my legs already gone, no energy and looking up the final climb which includes a mile where you climb over 1,200 feet with the gradient in the final section close to 50% and knowing you just have to get up it somehow is horrible. I was trying to think if there was another way I could reasonably get up a different way. Worst bit was reaching the top with a slight drag to the trig point and finding myself in the teeth of a gale for the rest of the race.
  • Pross
    Just looked on Strava and the final climb is 1 mile long, climbs 1450 feet with an average gradient of 28%. The last 0.15 mile climbs 450 feet at an average of over 50% and it took me 15 minutes to drag myself up it!
  • rjsterry
    Sounds fun.😀
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    Pross said:

Just looked on Strava and the final climb is 1 mile long, climbs 1450 feet with an average gradient of 28%. The last 0.15 mile climbs 450 feet at an average of over 50% and it took me 15 minutes to drag myself up it!

To adapt the quote about golf, fell running sounds like a good way to spoil a nice walk.
  • Pross

Pross said:

To adapt the quote about golf, fell running sounds like a good way to spoil a nice walk.
    So cheap though, the rules don’t allow the organiser to make a profit. You usually get a nice bowl of soup at the finish. One race I did was £5 to enter and all finishers got a bottle of beer named after the hill it went up. Proper grassroots sport. A commercial trail race would have charged at least double for yesterday’s race and would have given you a crappy finishers medal and yet another item of souvenir clothing to take up drawer space.
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

Pross said:

So cheap though, the rules don’t allow the organiser to make a profit. You usually get a nice bowl of soup at the finish. One race I did was £5 to enter and all finishers got a bottle of beer named after the hill it went up. Proper grassroots sport. A commercial trail race would have charged at least double for yesterday’s race and would have given you a crappy finishers medal and yet another item of souvenir clothing to take up drawer space.
    If I'd paid to enter, I'd probably pay a little extra not to run and still get the bowl of soup, though I apprecite that's probably not in the spirit of the race. I probably should admit though that I've always hated running, in any format: I just find the phyisical experience unpleasant, unlike cycling or swimming (and I'm not even any good at swimming).
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,161
    I’d have strolled to a cafe.
    Different strokes for different folks.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,199

Pross said:

Pross said:

If I'd paid to enter, I'd probably pay a little extra not to run and still get the bowl of soup, though I apprecite that's probably not in the spirit of the race. I probably should admit though that I've always hated running, in any format: I just find the physical experience unpleasant, unlike cycling or swimming (and I'm not even any good at swimming).
    This ^.
    Running is just plain silly.
    I can sit down and pedal.

...and I corrected your spelling mistake. Don't do it again. It will be lines for you next, then detention...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • briantrumpet
    pinno said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

If I'd paid to enter, I'd probably pay a little extra not to run and still get the bowl of soup, though I apprecite that's probably not in the spirit of the race. I probably should admit though that I've always hated running, in any format: I just find the physical experience unpleasant, unlike cycling or swimming (and I'm not even any good at swimming).
    This ^.

...and I corrected your spelling mistake. Don't do it again. It will be lines for you next, then detention...

It's my accent.

And be careful with the punishment you mete out - you might have a lot of apostrophes to deal with, if things turn ugly.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    pinno said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

This ^.

He'll apprecite that. :)
    Sorry, I can't talk (or spell).
  • briantrumpet
    Given the history of Israel, and the effect that one dictator had on its people, it's somewhat surprising the trajectory it's currently taking...

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

Given the history of Israel, and the effect that one dictator had on its people, it's somewhat surprising the trajectory it's currently taking...

am mate of mine lived in Germany for several years it made him realise just how obsesed we are by Hitler and the Nazis. Your comparison is straight out of the Corbynite playbook.

As for the Tweet - it is very niche. Whilst most of us know who Netanyahu is, who on earth knows who Natanyahu is and exactly what he must be stopped from doing
  • rick_chasey
    Anyone who reads the news?
  • surrey_commuter

enlighten me
  • rjsterry

am mate of mine lived in Germany for several years it made him realise just how obsesed we are by Hitler and the Nazis. Your comparison is straight out of the Corbynite playbook.

As for the Tweet - it is very niche. Whilst most of us know who Netanyahu is, who on earth knows who Natanyahu is and exactly what he must be stopped from doing
    Pretty obvious that's just a typo like yours above. It's on all the major news channels this morning. He's proposing changes to allow a simple majority in the Knesset to overrule judicial decisions and allow the Knesset to influence selection of judges.

I'm sure it's all fine though.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• surrey_commuter
    rjsterry said:

Pretty obvious that's just a typo like yours above. It's on all the major news channels this morning. He's proposing changes to allow a simple majority in the Knesset to overrule judicial decisions and allow the Knesset to influence selection of judges.

Soas a non-Twitter person all I know about the person is that he can not be bothered to check his 140 character output, that does not encourage me to see him as a thought leader.

Do you think we will ever stop obsessing about Hitler?

• rick_chasey

enlighten me
    Here you go. Leader in the economist this week:

https://www.economist.com/leaders/2023/03/16/will-bibi-break-israel
  • briantrumpet

rjsterry said:

Soas a non-Twitter person all I know about the person is that he can not be bothered to check his 140 character output, that does not encourage me to see him as a thought leader.

Even clever people do typos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurence_Tribe

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,756

rjsterry said:

Slavery, colonialism etc. come up reasonably frequently as well. Much of East Asia dislikes Japan for its second world war activities.

I think big events are always going to be remembered.

• rjsterry
    edited March 2023

rjsterry said:

Pot; kettle, etc.

Where have you picked up the Hitler reference this time?
    Pinnacle Monzonite