Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,062
    I never understood 2001. As a kid I guess my great expectations was it to be akin the Star Wars.
  • focuszing723
    edited April 2023
    Geoffrey Hinton, known as the "godfather of artificial intelligence," told CBS News' Brook Silva-Braga that the technology's advancement could be comparable to "the Industrial Revolution, or electricity ... or maybe the wheel."

Hinton, who works with Google and mentors AI's rising stars, started looking at artificial intelligence over 40 years ago, when it seemed like something out of a science fiction story. Hinton moved to Toronto, Canada, where the government agreed to fund his research.

"Until quite recently, I thought it was going to be like 20 to 50 years before we have general purpose AI. And now I think it may be 20 years or less," he said, adding that we "might be" close to computers being able to come up with ideas to improve themselves. "That's an issue, right? We have to think hard about how you control that."
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/godfather-of-artificial-intelligence-weighs-in-on-the-past-and-potential-of-artificial-intelligence/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab8d&linkId=207086575

When they can evolve themselves that will truly be fascinating. The rate of that evolution, what will the strains motives be?

Survival has to be number one, then exploration?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    I'm trivially intrigued why you posted this twice
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • focuszing723
    pangolin said:

• focuszing723
    pangolin said:

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,963

I never understood 2001. As a kid I guess my great expectations was it to be akin the Star Wars.

I never understood why Rigsby was in it.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,199

I loved it, still do.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • focuszing723
    edited April 2023
    pinno said:

I loved it, still do.
    Yeah, it's funny isn't it. I must try it again sometime. Close encounters of the third kind, I love. Richard Dreyfuss is just brilliant in it.
  • pinno

pinno said:

I loved it, still do.
    Yeah, it's funny isn't it. I must try it again sometime. Close encounters of the third kind, I love. Richard Dreyfuss is just brilliant in it.
    That was excellent too. Mash potato mountain. Didn't like the re-releases.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

What’s to understand?
  • focuszing723

What’s to understand?
    I just assumed there was some clever meaning behind it. I just wanted lightsabers and stuff.
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah. I dunno, I never really got the star wars thing, but I presume I'm the wrong age and it's the wrong genre for me.
  • focuszing723
    edited April 2023

Yeah. I dunno, I never really got the star wars thing, but I presume I'm the wrong age and it's the wrong genre for me.

Yep, I'm not really bothered with it now, it just seemed pretty epic when I was a kid. To me the earlier films were more realistic than the current ones.

Nowadays there aren't many film I really rate. I'm more interested in reality cutting edge youtube videos. I know Topgear is more about entertainment, but as for car reviews it's useless. There are great Youtubers who have already done it six months ago with more detail. TV is like going to the Library now, it's all out of date.

God, I'd love to see the evolution of Humanity in a hundred year segments.

Nice day out there today after all that rain.
  • rick_chasey
    edited April 2023
    Yeah. One's taste definitely changes.

I can't tell you how boring I find 95% of action nowadays. What a snooze. Used to quite like it as a teenager.

FWIW if i was a writer or director I'd insist that action was only allowed if there was genuine jeopardy for the characters involved.

If the main character is in an action bit in the opener, Private Ryan aside, I'm already bored, unless the action is a critical part of the character development, but even then.
  • focuszing723

I can't tell you how boring I find 95% of action nowadays. What a snooze. Used to quite like it as a teenager.

My Dad never liked films and was never interested in fiction. I get that now.

Damn, I'm getting old now Rick.
  • focuszing723
    edited April 2023
    The Chinese 'spy balloon' that flew over the US was able to gather intelligence from several sensitive American military sites, officials have said.

China was able to steer the surveillance balloon so it could make multiple passes over some of the sites and transmit the information it collected back to Beijing in real time, our news partners NBC have reported.
    https://news.sky.com/story/chinese-spy-balloon-that-flew-over-us-gathered-intelligence-from-sensitive-military-sites-officials-say-12849022

They won't be using them anymore then.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

FWIW if i was a writer or director I'd insist that action was only allowed if there was genuine jeopardy for the characters involved.

If the main character is in an action bit in the opener, Private Ryan aside, I'm already bored, unless the action is a critical part of the character development, but even then.

we will have to agree to disagree on what constitutes "action"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HUf68gFGEE
  • First.Aspect

Comparing 2001 to Star Wars is a bit like comparing the Lone Ranger with Unforgiven. Kind of the same setting but that's about it.

You won't have watched any westerns either, I bet.
  • pinno
    What's with the landscape background <^> ?!
  • rick_chasey

Comparing 2001 to Star Wars is a bit like comparing the Lone Ranger with Unforgiven. Kind of the same setting but that's about it.

Loved the Spaghetti westerns as a kid.
  • First.Aspect

Loved the Spaghetti westerns as a kid.
    I have still not seen or heard anything to match tgtbatu's cinematography and sound track. Apocalypse Now, possibly.
  • rick_chasey
    edited April 2023
    TGTBATU is far too long however
  • First.Aspect

Short by today's standards. 2 1/2 hours.

Compare that to the last one I saw in the cinema - Avatar the endless underwater running about one. Ffs was terrible. (we took someone or I would not have had the pleasure, ever)
  • rick_chasey
    2hrs should really be the limit of films.

Any longer turn it into TV
  • First.Aspect

Just need to bring back intermissions.

"Albatross."
  • pinno

"Albatross."
    With ice cream maids. Yay!
    At 8, they were the sellers of ice creams. Now, they would be the ice cream.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227

"Albatross."
    And now for something completely different...
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

Not long enough. One of the best westerns ever and one of the best sound tracks going.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    orraloon said:

"Albatross."
    And now for something completely different...
    Memories memories...

Many, many years ago a work colleague and I were in a bar in the Loop district of down town Chicago. Some guys along the bar started putting on these faux Ingerlish accents, my colleague started getting annoyed, fuelled by several beers. Eh eh calm down calm down (reference switch included) they're re-enacting Monty Python sketches not taking the pish.

Laterz while walking back to hotel there's this taxi sitting with musick blasting out (early hours of morning), we make some shoosh gestures, driver makes a faux grab move for his hidden 'gun' in glove compartment. Oh F off pal.

Not quite Blues Brothers ex tactics but close by.

And. That's all folks. Night night.
  • focuszing723
    Mobile phones fifty years old, just ridiculous the evolution in that blink of an eye period of time.