Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Brian Trumpet referencing the impact "one" dictator had on the Israli people?
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,006

Guilty as charged, but given that Tribe specifically referenced "dictator" in the first place, and he is Jewish, I rather felt the reference was already implied.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,396
    They really do have weirdly skewed morals in the US, especially the southern States.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Given the history of Israel, and the effect that one dictator had on its people, it's somewhat surprising the trajectory it's currently taking...

am mate of mine lived in Germany for several years it made him realise just how obsesed we are by Hitler and the Nazis. Your comparison is straight out of the Corbynite playbook.

As for the Tweet - it is very niche. Whilst most of us know who Netanyahu is, who on earth knows who Natanyahu is and exactly what he must be stopped from doing
    Pretty obvious that's just a typo like yours above. It's on all the major news channels this morning. He's proposing changes to allow a simple majority in the Knesset to overrule judicial decisions and allow the Knesset to influence selection of judges.

I'm sure it's all fine though.
    Soas a non-Twitter person all I know about the person is that he can not be bothered to check his 140 character output, that does not encourage me to see him as a thought leader.

Do you think we will ever stop obsessing about Hitler?

Pot; kettle, etc.

Where have you picked up the Hitler reference this time?
    My apologies if I inadvertently took this to be a reference to Hitler. After re-reading I realise it was more likely to be a reference to Idi Amin and the death of his brother at Entebbe.

Given the history of Israel, and the effect that one dictator had on its people, it's somewhat surprising the trajectory it's currently taking...
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

am mate of mine lived in Germany for several years it made him realise just how obsesed we are by Hitler and the Nazis. Your comparison is straight out of the Corbynite playbook.

As for the Tweet - it is very niche. Whilst most of us know who Netanyahu is, who on earth knows who Natanyahu is and exactly what he must be stopped from doing
    Pretty obvious that's just a typo like yours above. It's on all the major news channels this morning. He's proposing changes to allow a simple majority in the Knesset to overrule judicial decisions and allow the Knesset to influence selection of judges.

I'm sure it's all fine though.
    Soas a non-Twitter person all I know about the person is that he can not be bothered to check his 140 character output, that does not encourage me to see him as a thought leader.

Do you think we will ever stop obsessing about Hitler?

Pot; kettle, etc.

Where have you picked up the Hitler reference this time?
    My apologies if I inadvertently took this to be a reference to Hitler. After re-reading I realise it was more likely to be a reference to Idi Amin and the death of his brother at Entebbe.

Hmm, to comment or not to comment.

Currently?

And no, it’s not at all surprising. Putin, Xi, Trump, our own Tories.

People in power across the world are doing all they can to erode their own democracies to retain power. And I’ve only listed some major nations. As you spread wings further, the behaviour is global and widespread. The only saving grace is mostly they either fail or the early attempts are limited to simply stacking the decks in their own favour rather than all out dictatorship.
  • Pross
    Why does there seem to be a fashion for putting up wallpaper with a pattern of bricks or stone on them? The amount of houses I've looked at recently that have a 'feature' wall that uses this stuff. It just looks tacky and isn't exactly fooling anyone that it is a real stone or brick wall.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Pross said:

Why does there seem to be a fashion for putting up wallpaper with a pattern of bricks or stone on them? The amount of houses I've looked at recently that have a 'feature' wall that uses this stuff. It just looks tacky and isn't exactly fooling anyone that it is a real stone or brick wall.

Agreed. My BIL had a fake woodburner with a random fake polystyrene chimney.

Bizarre behaviour.

Snob in me says it's modern chaviness but no doubt I'll get slammed for that.
  • Pross

Pross said:

Bizarre behaviour.

It will have been on some YouTube makeover channel probably or some programme presenter by Stacey Solomon / Angela Scanlon. I quite like a proper stone or brick wall in a room providing it is in keeping with the house generally but fake is just fake.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Pross said:

Pross said:

Bizarre behaviour.

It will have been on some YouTube makeover channel probably or some programme presenter by Stacey Solomon / Angela Scanlon. I quite like a proper stone or brick wall in a room providing it is in keeping with the house generally but fake is just fake.
    FWIW, he is my reference point on this and he does everything on the cheap, and re-decorates every 2-3 years.

This includes, infuriatingly, perfectly fine, albeit cheap, furniture.

Same type that has a big expensive brand-snob SUV on credit and complains he never has any money at the end of the month. You know the type.
  • Pross
    Yep, certainly met a few!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,341
    edited March 2023

Guilty as charged, but given that Tribe specifically referenced "dictator" in the first place, and he is Jewish, I rather felt the reference was already implied.
    The original tweet referred to "dictators" of which there are/have been many, a subset of more than one have also been antisemitic although that is pretty irrelevant in this context. So no: I don't think Tribe was referencing one particular dictator. F*** knows how someone managed to drag Corbyn into the conversation.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • surrey_commuter
    rjsterry said:

The original tweet referred to "dictators" of which there are/have been many, a subset of more than one have also been antisemitic although that is pretty irrelevant in this context. So no: I don't think Tribe was referencing one particular dictator. F*** knows how someone managed to drag Corbyn into the conversation.
    Corbyn faced a number of charges of anti-semitism which meant that it was extensively discussed on here and I can not have been the only one who became more knowledgeable about the subject. It is a classic anti-semitic tactic to compare Israel to the Nazis.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,199
    "Israel is a nation surrounded by 170 million arabs hell bent on it's destruction".

...and I think many Jewish Israeli's truly believe that and so they have become over protective and remain culturally paranoid.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • morstar

rjsterry said:

Corbyn faced a number of charges of anti-semitism which meant that it was extensively discussed on here and I can not have been the only one who became more knowledgeable about the subject. It is a classic anti-semitic tactic to compare Israel to the Nazis.
    But conversely, the Israeli government does use this as a tactic to lump any criticism of its aggressive expansionist policies under anti semitism.

Super delicate area to navigate.

Can you imagine if the UK took the same approach in NI.
  • surrey_commuter
    morstar said:

rjsterry said:

But conversely, the Israeli government does use this as a tactic to lump any criticism of its aggressive expansionist policies under anti semitism.

I am sure it is not what you mean but it made me laugh to imagine our Gov blaming criticism of it's NI policy on anti-semiticism.
  • surrey_commuter
    pinno said:

"Israel is a nation surrounded by 170 million arabs hell bent on it's destruction".

...and I think many Jewish Israeli's truly believe that and so they have become over protective and remain culturally paranoid.

I don't know where the above quote is from.

I don't know if it is still true but in my lifetime their neighbours refused to accept their right to exist to exist as a nation and had tried to enforce this militarily. If you grew up knowing that you could be attacked from all sides at any moment and if you lost a major battle there was every chance that you would be wiped out then it would influence your outlook on life. When they look around at the gaps at family events it would not seem such a stretch of imagination. And throw in the terrorist attacks around the world where people were kidnapped and murdered for being jewish.

With that in mind I would not class the older generations as "over protective and culturally paranoid"
  • morstar

morstar said:

rjsterry said:

I am sure it is not what you mean but it made me laugh to imagine our Gov blaming criticism of it's NI policy on anti-semiticism.
    As all governments do, the Israeli government intentionally conflates criticisms with things that weren’t said.

The Israeli government/supporters use a pretty nuclear conflation to do this.

For clarification on the NI comparison, yes, it would be a stretch for the uk gov to use anti semitism. But my point was that Israeli policy is aggressive. I.e. we wouldn’t behave in NI like they do with their neighbours.
  • briantrumpet
    And on this particular point, the criticisms are being made directly at Netanyahu's agenda of reducing the independence of the judiciary: the protests around the country have shown that a sizeable portion of the country (and even the government) are deeply unhappy with the move.
  • pinno

pinno said:

The late, (eminent and articulate) James Cameron, journalist.

• briantrumpet
    pinno said:

pinno said:

Well, that's odd, as I can't find it as quote, even if I correct it to the possessive "its".
  • briantrumpet

pinno said:

pinno said:

Well, that's odd, as I can't find it as quote, even if I correct it to the possessive "its".

I see that he wrote a book on Israel published in 1976, so maybe it's in there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Cameron_(journalist)
  • pinno
    The line was from a R4 obituary documentary.
  • briantrumpet
    pinno said:

I'm always wary of quotes, not least as I've fallen for false ones too often when they confirm my biases.
  • surrey_commuter
    morstar said:

morstar said:

rjsterry said:

As all governments do, the Israeli government intentionally conflates criticisms with things that weren’t said.

For clarification on the NI comparison, yes, it would be a stretch for the uk gov to use anti semitism. But my point was that Israeli policy is aggressive. I.e. we wouldn’t behave in NI like they do with their neighbours.
    I am sure you know that a large proportion of the NI population would disagree with you
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,341
    edited March 2023

rjsterry said:

The. Original. Tweet. Did. No. Such. Thing.

Brian misinterpreted the tweet and you have now conflated his comment with the initial tweet and roped in Corbyn who really does have f*** all to do with Bibi's authoritarian tendencies.

Hence my comment about kettles.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • morstar

morstar said:

morstar said:

rjsterry said:

I am sure you know that a large proportion of the NI population would disagree with you
    Not sure what you’re suggesting. But no, we are on the opposite sides of this debate to where we were in the Lineker discussion.

I see no equivalence in our current activities in NI and how Israel engages with its neighbours.

Historic parallels exist for sure.
  • briantrumpet
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

The. Original. Tweet. Did. No. Such. Thing.

Hence my comment about kettles.

I agree with Morstar that it's a fine line to tread, but criticism of Israeli policy (particularly when it's contentious even in Israel) shouldn't be put out-of-bounds in all instances because of blanket charges of anti-Semitism by those who would prefer not to be criticised.
  • pinno

pinno said:

I'm always wary of quotes, not least as I've fallen for false ones too often when they confirm my biases.
    Did you know that James Cameron is not quoted once in the Oxford dictionary of Quotations, a copy of which I have and it's so big, dropping it on your foot would be detrmental?
  • briantrumpet
    pinno said:

pinno said:

Did you know that James Cameron is not quoted once in the Oxford dictionary of Quotations, a copy of which I have and it's so big, dropping it on your foot would be detrmental?

No, I didn't, but the lack of quotes by him on the interweb was surprising... there are more from the film director than the journalist.