Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Brian Trumpet referencing the impact "one" dictator had on the Israli people?

Guilty as charged, but given that Tribe specifically referenced "dictator" in the first place, and he is Jewish, I rather felt the reference was already implied.
    The original tweet referred to "dictators" of which there are/have been many, a subset of more than one have also been antisemitic although that is pretty irrelevant in this context. So no: I don't think Tribe was referencing one particular dictator. F*** knows how someone managed to drag Corbyn into the conversation.
    Corbyn faced a number of charges of anti-semitism which meant that it was extensively discussed on here and I can not have been the only one who became more knowledgeable about the subject. It is a classic anti-semitic tactic to compare Israel to the Nazis.
    The. Original. Tweet. Did. No. Such. Thing.

Brian misinterpreted the tweet and you have now conflated his comment with the initial tweet and roped in Corbyn who really does have f*** all to do with Bibi's authoritarian tendencies.

Hence my comment about kettles.
    Are you alright?

If you back the bus up you will see that Brian commented on a Tweet. I replied to Brian's comment and Brian replied to my reply.

You keep sticking your beak in determined to start an argument, but as you are deciding the position I must adopt in that argument it often happens that I don't hold that position so can't be bothered.

I have some leftfield opinions on a variety of subjects why not chose one of those
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,341
    I probably am a bit tetchy today. Apologies.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,199

pinno said:

pinno said:

The line was from a R4 obituary documentary.

I'm always wary of quotes, not least as I've fallen for false ones too often when they confirm my biases.
    Did you know that James Cameron is not quoted once in the Oxford dictionary of Quotations, a copy of which I have and it's so big, dropping it on your foot would be detrmental?

No, I didn't, but the lack of quotes by him on the interweb was surprising... there are more from the film director than the journalist.
    I'll try an alternative search engine to Google later.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    pinno said:

pinno said:

pinno said:

I'm always wary of quotes, not least as I've fallen for false ones too often when they confirm my biases.
    Did you know that James Cameron is not quoted once in the Oxford dictionary of Quotations, a copy of which I have and it's so big, dropping it on your foot would be detrmental?

No, I didn't, but the lack of quotes by him on the interweb was surprising... there are more from the film director than the journalist.
    Chat GPT was not much help either:

"I'm sorry, but I cannot provide you with a James Cameron quote about Israel as he is not known to have made any public statements about the country or its politics. James Cameron is primarily known for his work as a film director, producer, and screenwriter, and his quotes tend to relate to filmmaking, science, and the environment. If you have any other questions or topics you'd like me to assist you with, feel free to ask!"
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pinno
    edited March 2023
    pangolin said:

pinno said:

pinno said:

pinno said:

Chat GPT was not much help either:

"I'm sorry, but I cannot provide you with a James Cameron quote about Israel as he is not known to have made any public statements about the country or its politics. James Cameron is primarily known for his work as a film director, producer, and screenwriter, and his quotes tend to relate to filmmaking, science, and the environment. If you have any other questions or topics you'd like me to assist you with, feel free to ask!"
    Yeah. So much junk and contemporary searching overwhelms even recent history.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,161
    Have we found the limitations of AI so soon?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    rjsterry said:

I probably am a bit tetchy today. Apologies.

no problem
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,062
    AI systems with human-competitive intelligence can pose profound risks to society and humanity, as shown by extensive research and acknowledged by top AI labs. As stated in the widely-endorsed Asilomar AI Principles, Advanced AI could represent a profound change in the history of life on Earth, and should be planned for and managed with commensurate care and resources. Unfortunately, this level of planning and management is not happening, even though recent months have seen AI labs locked in an out-of-control race to develop and deploy ever more powerful digital minds that no one – not even their creators – can understand, predict, or reliably control...
    https://futureoflife.org/open-letter/pause-giant-ai-experiments/

Quite some weighty signatures too.

The memory (internet) is there, the various strains of intelligence are continuing to evolve. The cats out the bag though, so it's futile anyway, just a matter of time. Nuclear technology can't be forgotten about.

It is incredible in such a small amount of time how humanity has evolved technology. There must be other matter intelligence in the Universe at an unimaginable level compared to what we've achieved in the blink of an eye.

Fascinating.

If evolution on Earth is anything to go by and the survival of the fittest nature of it. You'd have to say that evolving matter intelligence will fight for supremacy and survival too. Will it ever unify? Have we?

Meh, let's all forget about the interent, cars, phones, bikes...
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    ^ intriguing me is that 'zing can't be a bot given the spelling errors and is posting at 0329. Or maybe next gen bots feature random spelling mistakes to mesh better into the general timbre 🤔
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    I'm intrigued by what you can actually discern when testing a new bike.

Booked a test ride for a potential new bike. What did I truly get from the test ride?
    • That the tyres were worse than what I have now
    • The handlebar's too wide, and that I totally feel the longer curve reach...
    • ...the bartape is too thin and didn't like it...
    • ...and the shape of R7000 hydraulic hoods is different from rim braked R5800 and R4700
    OK, I'm exaggerating and, to be fair, the bike looked gorgeous. However, in 20 minutes, without a power meter, the biggest difference was absolutely the contact points (and somewhat the geometry). I think it's a touch faster than what I have, but I can't feel that difference without numbers.
  • pinno
    drhaggis said:

I'm intrigued by what you can actually discern when testing a new bike.

Booked a test ride for a potential new bike. What did I truly get from the test ride?

• That the tyres were worse than what I have now
    • The handlebar's too wide, and that I totally feel the longer curve reach...
    • ...the bartape is too thin and I didn't like it...
    • ...and the shape of R7000 hydraulic hoods is different from rim braked R5800 and R4700
    OK, I'm exaggerating and, to be fair, the bike looked gorgeous. However, in 20 minutes, without a power meter, the biggest difference was absolutely the contact points (and somewhat the geometry). I think it's a touch faster than what I have, but I can't feel that difference without numbers.
    I think what you can discern is:

That the tyres were worse than what you have now
    The handlebar's too wide, and that you totally feel the longer curve reach...
    ...the bartape is too thin and you didn't like it...
    ...and the shape of R7000 hydraulic hoods is different from rim braked R5800 and R4700/
    Thar the contact points and the geometry was different.
  • drhaggis
    Thank you, pinno, now it's all clear to me!

Except, of course, changing the handlebar is so easy I can do it myself, and the tyres would go after 2000 km. At that point, is my money well spent? Who knows!

TBF, realising that I'm in between sizes no matter what made the test ride worth my time (but not the shop's).
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,161
    A longer stem length, narrower bars, different bar tape and better tyres are required would be my take.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    drhaggis said:

Except, of course, changing the handlebar is so easy I can do it myself, and the tyres would go after 2000 km. At that point, is my money well spent? Who knows!

TBF, realising that I'm in between sizes no matter what made the test ride worth my time (but not the shop's).

I see they come in 2cm increments.
    A different stem, spacers and saddle position will wipe out any discernible difference.

What are you gaining from your current set up? (rhetorical)

With a spare £3k, you could pick a helluva lot second hand. Or is this using the C2W scheme voucher?
  • drhaggis
    edited March 2023
    pinno said:

drhaggis said:

A different stem, spacers and saddle position will wipe out any discernible difference.

With a spare £3k, you could pick a helluva lot second hand. Or is this using the C2W scheme voucher?
    From geometry calculations, the 54 would pretty much match the defy with a flipped 110 mm stem. But if I need to flip the stem, maybe the bike is not for me... The 56 cannot be set at my saddle height with the stock seatmast (Emondas have a seatmast).

The £3k limit is indeed C2W. It's halfords' scheme, so bike from them, Tredz, or a few LBS. No Canyon or Ribble, though.

My current setup in a "beaten" 2016 Defy 2. Aluminium, Tiagra 4700, rim brakes, ~15000 miles. Currently, 9.40 kg with 28c tyres, pedals, bottle cages and garmin mount. Was under 9 kg with Zondas. I'll keep it, ironically despite the rim brakes, as a winter bike.

I wanted something fancier, carbon, ideally 1 kg lighter (yeah, the Emonda would need nicer wheels and tyres) perhaps with logical rather than crazy internal cable routing (think TCR, rather than Tarmac SL7), 11-speed, but the most important criterion is that I like the bike. It's meant to be a treat after all.
  • pinno
    drhaggis said:

pinno said:

drhaggis said:

From geometry calculations, the 54 would pretty much match the defy with a flipped 110 mm stem. But if I need to flip the stem, maybe the bike is not for me... The 56 cannot be set at my saddle height with the stock seatmast (Emondas have a seatmast).

The £3k limit is indeed C2W. It's halfords' scheme, so bike from them, Tredz, or a few LBS. No Canyon or Ribble, though.

My current setup in a "beaten" 2016 Defy 2. Aluminium, Tiagra 4700, rim brakes, ~15000 miles. Currently, 9.40 kg with 28c tyres, pedals, bottle cages and garmin mount. Was under 9 kg with Zondas. I'll keep it, ironically despite the rim brakes, as a winter bike.

I wanted something fancier, carbon, ideally 1 kg lighter (yeah, the Emonda would need nicer wheels and tyres) perhaps with logical rather than crazy internal cable routing (think TCR, rather than Tarmac SL7), 11-speed, but the most important criterion is that I like the bike. It's meant to be a treat after all.
    No offence but an 8kg bike is nothing special.
    What exactly is available on the C2W scheme?
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 572
    Why there were lots of mince pie reviews on here but now no mention of hot cross buns
  • drhaggis
    pinno said:

drhaggis said:

pinno said:

drhaggis said:

Again, I can buy Boardmans at Halfords, whatever is at Tredz for under £3k, and then some LBS's, which do, to my knowledge, Giant, Cannondale, Trek, Cube, Merida (maybe) and Scott.

Let me fix that for you! An 8 kg bike was nothing special. I know what you mean, but in this day and age, you will struggle to find any endurance bike under 8 kg. What I don't want to do is spend £3k on something heavier than an entry level aluminium bike from 2016.

• focuszing723
    Ray Kurzweil, Google's Director of Engineering, is a well-known futurist with a high-hitting track record for accurate predictions. Of his 147 predictions since the 1990s, Kurzweil claims an 86 percent accuracy rate. At the SXSW Conference in Austin, Texas, Kurzweil made yet another prediction: the technological singularity will happen sometime in the next 30 years.

In a communication to Futurism, Kurzweil states:

2029 is the consistent date I have predicted for when an AI will pass a valid Turing test and therefore achieve human levels of intelligence. I have set the date 2045 for the 'Singularity' which is when we will multiply our effective intelligence a billion fold by merging with the intelligence we have created.
    https://www.jpost.com/business-and-innovation/tech-and-start-ups/article-735869

I was hoping for it to take a bit longer I must admit.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,963
    I can't help but notice that his career relies on publicity these days, and that his predictions are now going beyond when he is likely to be alive, so arguably less likely to be career damaging if they are wrong.

He also takes 150 pills a day.

It is not known if he has taken the red one or the blue one.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977
    bm5 said:

Why there were lots of mince pie reviews on here but now no mention of hot cross buns

https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/comment/20969245/#Comment_20969245
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,561
    I think many of the questions around ai are interesting. Primarily because whilst it's a computer science subject, most of the big questions are primarily of a philosophical bent. However, much of the modern culture around STEM subjects has been (for want of a better phrase) anti humanities.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Jezyboy said:

I think many of the questions around ai are interesting. Primarily because whilst it's a computer science subject, most of the big questions are primarily of a philosophical bent. However, much of the modern culture around STEM subjects has been (for want of a better phrase) anti humanities.

Modern education reflects that btw.
  • pinno
    drhaggis said:

pinno said:

drhaggis said:

pinno said:

drhaggis said:

Again, I can buy Boardmans at Halfords, whatever is at Tredz for under £3k, and then some LBS's, which do, to my knowledge, Giant, Cannondale, Trek, Cube, Merida (maybe) and Scott.

Let me fix that for you! An 8 kg bike was nothing special. I know what you mean, but in this day and age, you will struggle to find any endurance bike under 8 kg. What I don't want to do is spend £3k on something heavier than an entry level aluminium bike from 2016.

You didn't say you want an 'endurance bike'. [insert rolling eyes icon].
    Perhaps you should post in the 'What endurance bike around 8kg's can I buy under the C2W scheme thread'.
  • pinno
    I doubt the 14 year old girl living in fear and secretly trying to get an education somewhere in Kabul could give a flying f*ck about AI.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

Ray Kurzweil, Google's Director of Engineering, is a well-known futurist with a high-hitting track record for accurate predictions. Of his 147 predictions since the 1990s, Kurzweil claims an 86 percent accuracy rate. At the SXSW Conference in Austin, Texas, Kurzweil made yet another prediction: the technological singularity will happen sometime in the next 30 years.

2029 is the consistent date I have predicted for when an AI will pass a valid Turing test and therefore achieve human levels of intelligence. I have set the date 2045 for the 'Singularity' which is when we will multiply our effective intelligence a billion fold by merging with the intelligence we have created.

I suspect if that date is correct, I’ll be in the euthanise them cohort.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,561
    pinno said:

I doubt the 14 year old girl living in fear and secretly trying to get an education somewhere in Kabul could give a flying f*ck about AI.

Or about the carbon intensity of any electricity she gets to use to light her reading at night...

• focuszing723
    edited April 2023

Geoffrey Hinton, known as the "godfather of artificial intelligence," told CBS News' Brook Silva-Braga that the technology's advancement could be comparable to "the Industrial Revolution, or electricity ... or maybe the wheel."

Hinton, who works with Google and mentors AI's rising stars, started looking at artificial intelligence over 40 years ago, when it seemed like something out of a science fiction story. Hinton moved to Toronto, Canada, where the government agreed to fund his research.

"Until quite recently, I thought it was going to be like 20 to 50 years before we have general purpose AI. And now I think it may be 20 years or less," he said, adding that we "might be" close to computers being able to come up with ideas to improve themselves. "That's an issue, right? We have to think hard about how you control that."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/godfather-of-artificial-intelligence-weighs-in-on-the-past-and-po

When they can evolve themselves that will truly be fascinating. The rate of that evolution, what will the strains motives be?

Survival has to be number one.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,963
    Open the pod bay doors please Hal.