Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    Some scaffolding has gone up on a nearby house, the company is "Scaffolding by design".

I'm keen to know if they have a rival called "Accidental scaffolding".
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited March 2023
    As awful as it is for players who have had serious brain health problems as a result, I am pleased that finally, my instinct, (probably because I am so small and light) that rugby wasn't good for your head has become more mainstream.

However, I'm very prejudiced against the sport I was forced to play at school, so I'm curious what rugby fans, and especially players, former or otherwise, think about the mounting evidence that it's just really not good for you.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,062
    Yeah, but n things...I think it fairly obvious though.

The Isle of Man TT isn't good for you. I guess it's down to the individual to make that choice. Boxing, MMA, Rugby, football (heading the ball)...People can drop dead in the London Marathon because of undiagnosed heart conditions.
  • rick_chasey
    edited March 2023
    Sure but largely schools don't force kids to fight or do motorbike racing, and it's pretty straightforward to make school football a non-heading exercise.

I don't really know how you do that with rugby as touch rugby is a pretty different sport in my very limited experience.

Dementia is also absolutely horrendous and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Have seen it up close far too many times to do anything other than my best to avoid it.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,756
    Rugby is not that common at state schools.
  • rick_chasey

Maybe my experience was unusual then! Horrendous.
  • TheBigBean
    My experience is that all sports in state schools are rubbish. It used to be one of the reasons people would say that the nearest private school was much better.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,199

Rugby is not that common at state schools that are not in England or Wales..

FTFY

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,341
    AI image creation can't reliably do teeth or hands.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • focuszing723
    rjsterry said:

AI image creation can't reliably do teeth or hands.

It's AI though so you won't have to wait long.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,804

Became optional at our school after a sixth former broke his neck.
  • rick_chasey
    mrb123 said:

Lovely. I don't have fond memories of me and my class mates being forced to play inter-form rugby when the opponent was the county shotput champion and a bunch of kids who since ended up going to prison for being part of a drive-by-shooting, on borderline frozen fields.

Got the sh!t beaten out of us and when we were playing got absolutely pummelled. No fun at all.
  • focuszing723

mrb123 said:

Lovely. I don't have fond memories of me and my class mates being forced to play inter-form rugby when the opponent was the county shotput champion and a bunch of kids who since ended up going to prison for being part of a drive-by-shooting, on borderline frozen fields.

Got the sh!t beaten out of us and when we were playing got absolutely pummelled. No fun at all.
    I bet you've injured yourself more though riding your bike?
  • rick_chasey
    edited March 2023

mrb123 said:

Erm I guess so. Only one was riding as a "sport" though. The other was just cycling through town.

And I broke my elbow playing basketball.

On that note, fracturing your bones doesn't hurt anywhere near as much as a sprain in the initial accident.

(YMMV if the fractured bones start separating etc).
  • pinno

mrb123 said:

Erm I guess so. Only one was riding as a "sport" though. The other was just cycling through town.

On that note, fracturing your bones doesn't hurt anywhere near as much as a sprain in the initial accident.

But you are slight and not in the least bit built to play rugby.
  • focuszing723
    edited March 2023
    I agree it should be a choice.
  • rick_chasey
    pinno said:

mrb123 said:

But you are slight and not in the least bit built to play rugby.
    Quite!
  • focuszing723
    edited March 2023

mrb123 said:

I get your point though.
  • TheBigBean

I have a view on this. If you go to hospital with a sprain the medics are keen to let you know that sprains can hurt and that the pain is normal, so they tell it is often worse than a break (to make you feel better). If you go to hospital with a break, the medics tell you that it could be worse, you could have sprained it (to make you feel better).

My view with a limited sample size is that breaks hurt. They always hurt and keep hurting. Sprains tend to only hurt with movement.
  • TheBigBean
    And no, I haven't had it iced and elevated, because I have been sitting in your waiting room.
  • rick_chasey
    edited March 2023

I have a view on this. If you go to hospital with a sprain the medics are keen to let you know that sprains can hurt and that the pain is normal, so they tell it is often worse than a break (to make you feel better). If you go to hospital with a break, the medics tell you that it could be worse, you could have sprained it (to make you feel better).

My view with a limited sample size is that breaks hurt. They always hurt and keep hurting. Sprains tend to only hurt with movement.
    So when I broke my elbow I also sprained my wrist and I went into hospital because of the pain in my wrist not my elbow.

Though when I tried to stop a basketball that had been passed to me with the arm I broke that did f*cking hurt tbf.
  • focuszing723
    It depends on the fracture though, if it's displaced, Owwwwww!
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,535

As awful as it is for players who have had serious brain health problems as a result, I am pleased that finally, my instinct, (probably because I am so small and light) that rugby wasn't good for your head has become more mainstream.

However, I'm very prejudiced against the sport I was forced to play at school, so I'm curious what rugby fans, and especially players, former or otherwise, think about the mounting evidence that it's just really not good for you.

I'm a player. I've played every saturday there's been a game for me to play in (barring injury, games called off etc) since I was 11.

I'm now nearly 58 and played on Saturday.

In that time, I think I have had one concussion that, if you'll excuse the irony, I remember.

You'll probably have worked out that I've played for quite a while and over a period of great change in Rugby. I don't know how old you are and therefore don't know when you played at school but I would envisage it was probably some years after I played at school.

The move to professionalism in 1991 (when I was 26 and been playing for 15 years) meant (rather obviously) that there was a more "professional" approach to the game. There's money to be won and earned. It's way more serious.

The top clubs needed and moulded bigger, heavier, fitter, faster players and, the laws of physics tell us that bigger, heavier people moving faster into other people will result in more forceful impacts.

There was also the move toward tackling "man and ball" so, rather that the traditional arms around the thighs tackle, players were trained to smash into the chest area in an attempt to make the ball carrier spill the ball which further developed into "own the collision" . . . at the same time, the ball carrier is attempting to "own the collision" resulting in even more high force collisions and, critically as the tackles are around chest height, two heads in one area that will collide at some point.

It takes a while but training and conditioning techniques and the approach to the game at professional level eventually filters down to the community game. There were lads I played with and against on Saturday who would have been considered "monsters" even in the international game in the mid 70s when I started playing.

I believe that the development of the professional game and the training and conditioning surrounding it are responsible for the number severity of head on head collisions though I do think that concussions in community rugby are thankfully much fewer than they are in the professional game.

I don't know if you are aware but the RFU are introducing new tackle laws in an attempt to reduce these.

As mentioned above, there are any number of pastimes that one could participate in that carry a degree of risk (you wouldn't get me jumping over anything on a horse for instance) but for those that do participate, that risk, that fear, that uncertainty is part of the attraction of the sport.

The growing number of litigations against the rugby authorities are a huge concern to them and, I fear, will usher in the death of the game I love.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,561

mrb123 said:

My experience is that it was great fun at primary school, but secondary school, if you aren't a particularly early developer, it's just not fun.

• pinno

So when I broke my elbow I also sprained my wrist and I went into hospital because of the pain in my wrist not my elbow.

Though when I tried to stop a basketball that had been passed to me with the arm I broke that did f*cking hurt tbf.
    What are you made from, Balsa wood?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    edited March 2023
    I haven't. Really don't like Smith films so have avoided.

It first came to my attention by this outstanding longread about 12 years ago, following one of the top NHL 'enforcers'

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/04/sports/hockey/derek-boogaard-a-boy-learns-to-brawl

Separately, the brawls in hockey are a great example of how "fans" can totally lose sense of any perspective when it comes to their own sport. They are utterly ludicrous.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,161
    pangolin said:

You watched this Rick?

Funny thing is that I hadn't heard of it until Chris Rock mentioned it.
    Strange that a Will Smith movie can pass by unnoticed. Unless it really is that bad...
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,006

I'm a player. I've played every saturday there's been a game for me to play in (barring injury, games called off etc) since I was 11.

I'm now nearly 58 and played on Saturday.

In that time, I think I have had one concussion that, if you'll excuse the irony, I remember.

You'll probably have worked out that I've played for quite a while and over a period of great change in Rugby. I don't know how old you are and therefore don't know when you played at school but I would envisage it was probably some years after I played at school.

The move to professionalism in 1991 (when I was 26 and been playing for 15 years) meant (rather obviously) that there was a more "professional" approach to the game. There's money to be won and earned. It's way more serious.

The top clubs needed and moulded bigger, heavier, fitter, faster players and, the laws of physics tell us that bigger, heavier people moving faster into other people will result in more forceful impacts.

There was also the move toward tackling "man and ball" so, rather that the traditional arms around the thighs tackle, players were trained to smash into the chest area in an attempt to make the ball carrier spill the ball which further developed into "own the collision" . . . at the same time, the ball carrier is attempting to "own the collision" resulting in even more high force collisions and, critically as the tackles are around chest height, two heads in one area that will collide at some point.

It takes a while but training and conditioning techniques and the approach to the game at professional level eventually filters down to the community game. There were lads I played with and against on Saturday who would have been considered "monsters" even in the international game in the mid 70s when I started playing.

I believe that the development of the professional game and the training and conditioning surrounding it are responsible for the number severity of head on head collisions though I do think that concussions in community rugby are thankfully much fewer than they are in the professional game.

I don't know if you are aware but the RFU are introducing new tackle laws in an attempt to reduce these.

As mentioned above, there are any number of pastimes that one could participate in that carry a degree of risk (you wouldn't get me jumping over anything on a horse for instance) but for those that do participate, that risk, that fear, that uncertainty is part of the attraction of the sport.

The growing number of litigations against the rugby authorities are a huge concern to them and, I fear, will usher in the death of the game I love.

People love boxing too, but I'm afraid I don't see that as a reason to support a sport that is predicated on aiming to damage people's brains in order to win.

I think if rugby were invented now, and they tried to sell it as a sport for young people, they'd get laughed out of the room. IIRC, a doctor/parent who collected data when her son was injured playing rugby, in the absence of any data collection by the RFU (they'd not replaced the person for over a year who had been doing it) calculated that there was a 15% chance in any school year of each individual young player being off school for a week with a rugby-related injury.

I teach a keen rugby player whose father played for Saracens, and he's really worried about the likelihood of his father developing Alzheimers. He's obviously conflicted about the game he loves to play.
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah. Broken bones is one thing. Dementia is quite another. Awful awful thing. Wouldn't wish it on anyone.