Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,161
    edited March 2023

Yeah. If you watch old footage from the '70s, it was pretty normal to see people in bowler and top hats.

Come the mid 80s they've all but vanished.

I wonder if the tie will follow the same fate and my collection of various nice silk ties will soon really age me.

Mostly already has. I must have around 50 ties.
    I've only had 2 on in years. Bow tie for formal, black for funerals.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,396
    pblakeney said:

Yeah. If you watch old footage from the '70s, it was pretty normal to see people in bowler and top hats.

I wonder if the tie will follow the same fate and my collection of various nice silk ties will soon really age me.

Same here and when my wife assured me I didn't need a tie for afternoon tea at the Ritz for my daughter's 18th I ended up being taken to the cloakroom to borrow one before I was allowed in. Very annoying when I had so many ties sitting unloved in the wardrobe at home.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Ha, if you want to talk funeral attire - my grandmother's in the Netherlands.

I turn up, classic Brit, black suit white shirt black tie, black shoes. Father the same.

The dutchies? Two guys in ripped jeans, and one of the *speakers* and nephew turned up in a flowery top and white jeans I sh!t you not.

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,199
    pblakeney said:

Also, I am wondering if the tie is going to suffer the same fate as the hat.

Must say that I've worn a hat 100x as much as a tie in recent years.
    More baldness related than fashion though. 😉
    Bald is good. Good drainage.

When I used to have hair (and teeth and I used to pull), I got on the train on a very cold morning from Uppsala to Stockholm at 6am having showered and brushed said teeth. I cycled to the train station and when I sat down on the train, felt this hard lump on the back of my head. I thought it was odd that the seat was this uncomfortable until... the 'lump' started defrosting and dripping down my neck.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    pinno said:

pblakeney said:

When I used to have hair (and teeth and I used to pull), I got on the train on a very cold morning from Uppsala to Stockholm at 6am having showered and brushed said teeth. I cycled to the train station and when I sat down on the train, felt this hard lump on the back of my head. I thought it was odd that the seat was this uncomfortable until... the 'lump' started defrosting and dripping down my neck.
    Geordie I worked with in Canada got similarly caught out on the first really cold morning. Usual morning rush. Shower, dress, walk to get the bus, wet hair solid. 🤣
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
    pblakeney said:

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

Geordie I worked with in Canada got similarly caught out on the first really cold morning. Usual morning rush. Shower, dress, walk to get the bus, wet hair solid. 🤣
    If Geordie bloke stayed, I wonder what a wayay and Canadian accent mix is like.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,561
    pblakeney said:

There's a handful of people who still wear them in our office.

I keep thinking I might, can scare people into thinking you're going to interviews!
  • pblakeney
    pinno said:

pblakeney said:

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

If Geordie bloke stayed, I wonder what a wayay and Canadian accent mix is like.
    He didn't last a year. Homesick and missing his family.
    I don't understand those who can contemplate a year+ contract away from young children. Just my opinion though, and sometimes needs must. Coincidentally around Auf Wiedersen Pet times.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney
    edited March 2023
    Jezyboy said:

pblakeney said:

There's a handful of people who still wear them in our office.

I keep thinking I might, can scare people into thinking you're going to interviews!
    Ime, that is always the first question asked when a tie is seen in the workplace.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

I turn up, classic Brit, black suit white shirt black tie, black shoes. Father the same.

The dutchies? Two guys in ripped jeans, and one of the *speakers* and nephew turned up in a flowery top and white jeans I sh!t you not.

I have always been advised to go dark/sombre but not black.

When looking around I would say the only people wearing black suits and ties are the undertakers
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,756
    Suits without ties seem pointless to me. Much like going to black tie without a bow tie.

• Pross
    pblakeney said:

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

Presumably he was bare chested and telling everyone that it would be considered a mild day back in the Toon?
  • rick_chasey

I have always been advised to go dark/sombre but not black.

When looking around I would say the only people wearing black suits and ties are the undertakers
    OK dark charcoal is more accurate all round.
  • pinno
    'Anthracite' ?
  • pblakeney
    Pross said:

pblakeney said:

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

Presumably he was bare chested and telling everyone that it would be considered a mild day back in the Toon?
    Fair to say he got a reality check.
    -27C with windchill that morning IIRC. He did succumb to a jacket, if lightweight.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977
    pinno said:

'Anthracite' ?

RAL7016.
  • pinno

pinno said:

'Anthracite' ?

RAL7016.
    I managed to find a colour for an old Alu Pinarello frameset I am restoring and I trawled the colour charts for something slightly different and one I liked.

I finally came up with a 'pearlescent cobalt blue' and it's just a gorgeous colour that I now want all my bikes that colour, my car that colour and clothes that colour. I'll get a suit made in it which will do for all 3: hatching, matching and dispatching.

(The frame will be 3/4 polished rear triangle, 3 sections in pearl white with black lettering and the rest, that cobalt blue. Rear triangle has been polished to an inch of it's life and the rest is in primer but work won't resume until the conservatory is at least 25 deg c and Mrs P is away somewhere).
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Ok, really can’t overstate how trivial this is but I am curious to hear people thoughts.

I have a client meeting today which is very local to me.

In theory, I can claim expenses for travel and in return my employer can claim from the client.

But it’s a very short distance and I really can’t worry about just a few quid. But conversely, where do you then draw the line on what is / isn’t worth claiming? Does it set a bad precedent if I don’t claim?
  • pinno
    morstar said:

Ok, really can’t overstate how trivial this is but I am curious to hear people thoughts.

In theory, I can claim expenses for travel and in return my employer can claim from the client.

But it’s a very short distance and I really can’t worry about just a few quid. But conversely, where do you then draw the line on what is / isn’t worth claiming? Does it set a bad precedent if I don’t claim?

£50.
  • Pross
    I was going to say at the point where the time spent by people reclaiming the expense but when you think about about it like that you'd probably be up around a half hour charge out which would be quite a chunky amount of expense. Maybe at a distance where you could have reasonably done the trip on foot so around 2 miles each way?
  • pblakeney
    morstar said:

Time spent v return.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • morstar
    pinno said:

morstar said:

£50.
    Really? I’d definitely be claiming a lot lower than that.
  • rick_chasey
    Claim everything. Might be trivial to you but might not be to another employee so set the precedent.
  • morstar
    Pross said:

I was going to say at the point where the time spent by people reclaiming the expense but when you think about about it like that you'd probably be up around a half hour charge out which would be quite a chunky amount of expense. Maybe at a distance where you could have reasonably done the trip on foot so around 2 miles each way?

Sounds sensible. It’s beyond walking distance really.

I think if I was claiming lots of expenses, it’d just go in as I’d be doing a claim anyway. As this is likely the only claim I’ll make this month, it is standalone admin for one expense that at least 3 people have to process. Me, my employer, their finance dept.

I’ve taken the view that if I’m catered for with a decent coffee and maybe some nibbles, I’ll think of myself as square on the deal and not claim.

If they’re a bunch of arses, maybe I’ll be petty.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,756
    morstar said:

You need to separate the two things. How much are you willing to go through the effort of an expenses claim for? That one is up to you. I do tube journeys, but only if I remember and I am doing it for something else anyway.

The second question is how much your employer can be bothered to recharge. That is a question for them. In my case, it would be a much higher amount.

• Pross
    I used to chuck a rate for meetings into my fee proposals that would include the travel costs with a caveat that the meeting would be in a certain (most likely) location which took the hassle out of having to include recharging mileage to the client or remembering to add it onto the invoice. When most meetings became virtual I'd give a rate for physical or virtual meetings.
  • pinno
    morstar said:

pinno said:

morstar said:

£50.
    Really? I’d definitely be claiming a lot lower than that.
    £49 ?
  • morstar

Claim everything. Might be trivial to you but might not be to another employee so set the precedent.

That’s really where my head is.

I’m totally 50:50. It’s not enough money to worry about (but it is less than both £50 and £49). But should it be claimed just because that’s how the system is setup to work.

Hey ho, like I say, not a biggie. And I have now spent more time discussing on here than it would take to claim. But it did strike me as a mildly interesting topic.
  • morstar

morstar said:

You need to separate the two things. How much are you willing to go through the effort of an expenses claim for? That one is up to you. I do tube journeys, but only if I remember and I am doing it for something else anyway.

The second question is how much your employer can be bothered to recharge. That is a question for them. In my case, it would be a much higher amount.

Pretty sure my boss loves recharging things.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768

Said the Tory MP...