Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,396
    I played rugby for a good few years both through school and as an adult. As a kid I was very slightly built but still loved it. One of the great things about rugby back then was that it gave kids of different builds a chance to excel that you don't generally get in sport. As Laurentian says it has changed quite a bit and even in low level amateur games there are some big units even amongst the backs with small players being increasingly rare. It isn't helped by the massive increase in gym culture and playing rugby at the level I used to play in this part of the world you are probably going to be encountering a few roiders.

I've been to hospital 5 times in total for concussion. One of those was a school yard accident, three were from crashes in bike races (I only crashed three times in total and one of those was someone going into the back of me on a TT!) with only one being a rugby injury although it was the only one where I actually lost consciousness.

No-one should be forced to play in school but it would be a real shame to see the game stop being played at any level. I'm not sure what you can do to significantly reduce the risk though. The RFU have tried to change how players tackle but went about it in a stupid way. Even with no intent you'll get collisions like the one that got the English player sent off on Saturday.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,535
    Pross said:

The RFU have tried to change how players tackle but went about it in a stupid way. .

Agreed!, They're currently going through the consultation they should have done before their announcement. I agree with the principles of the decision but the way they've gone about it is downright amateurish
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,341

rjsterry said:

AI image creation can't reliably do teeth or hands.

It's AI though so you won't have to wait long.
    Suspect it may be more fundamental than that. It's trying to make an image that looks like another image and it's succeeding brilliantly at that. It doesn't understand what it is creating, though and why quite subtle things make a big difference to the human brain.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,561

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,963
    pinno said:

pblakeney said:

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

Also, I am wondering if the tie is going to suffer the same fate as the hat.

Must say that I've worn a hat 100x as much as a tie in recent years.
    More baldness related than fashion though. 😉
    Bald is good. Good drainage.

When I used to have hair (and teeth and I used to pull), I got on the train on a very cold morning from Uppsala to Stockholm at 6am having showered and brushed said teeth. I cycled to the train station and when I sat down on the train, felt this hard lump on the back of my head. I thought it was odd that the seat was this uncomfortable until... the 'lump' started defrosting and dripping down my neck.
    Geordie I worked with in Canada got similarly caught out on the first really cold morning. Usual morning rush. Shower, dress, walk to get the bus, wet hair solid. 🤣
    If Geordie bloke stayed, I wonder what a wayay and Canadian accent mix is like.
    In my experience it will be Geordie, but slower. For practical purposes, such as asking for anything in a shop fewer than three times, this is the only option.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    orraloon said:

Happened to here 3 odd clips on t'radio today of a BBC Piano Room session featuring Bono and The Edge. Each time I've gone 'that sounds awful'. I might venture into iPlayer and sample some more... though there's only so much poor pub singer soundtrack I can take.

Ok, watched on iPlayer. Much better experience. Is it better audio quality via the tv? The combination of visuals with the sounds? Interesting. I'd heard another replay on t'radio today and went 'nah, that's pish'. So does actually seeing the performers plus environment plus backing players change perception? 🤔
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    orraloon said:

orraloon said:

Happened to here 3 odd clips on t'radio today of a BBC Piano Room session featuring Bono and The Edge. Each time I've gone 'that sounds awful'. I might venture into iPlayer and sample some more... though there's only so much poor pub singer soundtrack I can take.

Ok, watched on iPlayer. Much better experience. Is it better audio quality via the tv? The combination of visuals with the sounds? Interesting. I'd heard another replay on t'radio today and went 'nah, that's pish'. So does actually seeing the performers plus environment plus backing players change perception? 🤔
    There isn't a way that's been invented yet that makes U2 sound good.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,199
    orraloon said:

orraloon said:

Were U2 any good live?
    Studio's do a awful lot of 'polishing'.

I mean, I love Dire Straits but they were terrible live imo.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    Never saw U2 live. Nor Dire Straits. Have seen Mark Knopfler plus his 👍 backing band several times live, excellent. A band of good musicians playing live is an excellent experience.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,006
    orraloon said:

Never saw U2 live.

Missed my chance when they came to Exeter University in 1983.
  • rjsterry
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    pinno said:

Live Aid was revealing on that front. Actually, IIRC, Dire Straits came over as one of the better ones there.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,161
    orraloon said:

Never saw U2 live. Nor Dire Straits. Have seen Mark Knopfler plus his 👍 backing band several times live, excellent. A band of good musicians playing live is an excellent experience.

I'd agree with your Mark Knopfler* band summary. I would say Bono and band put on a good live show up till '87 before he started preaching. Never saw them after that.

*I saw Eric Clapton back then too with Mark as guest guitarist. He showed Eric up.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,396

orraloon said:

Never saw U2 live.

Missed my chance when they came to Exeter University in 1983.
    I think the phrase is dodged a bullet.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    U2 were alright up to and including Joshua Tree. Went very rapidly downhill from there.
  • briantrumpet
    morstar said:

U2 were alright up to and including Joshua Tree. Went very rapidly downhill from there.

It was the era of New Year's Day when they came to Exeter, and as the muso in the house, I gained some street cred by working out the intro on the piano.
  • pinno
    pblakeney said:

orraloon said:

I'd agree with your Mark Knopfler* band summary. I would say Bono and band put on a good live show up till '87 before he started preaching. Never saw them after that.

*I saw Eric Clapton back then too with Mark as guest guitarist. He showed Eric up.
    Knopfler is an excellent guitarist.
  • briantrumpet
    pinno said:

pblakeney said:

orraloon said:

I think I managed to get one speaker to fall off its stand when I played Dire Straits extremely loud on my hifi at uni. Made I jump. Private Investigations was good at full volume.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    pinno said:

orraloon said:

orraloon said:

Were U2 any good live?

That Dire Straits live is a controversial take!

I saw U2 once around 15 years ago. By far the most disappointing of the "big acts" I've seen. And yes, Bono preached, but that wasn't the worst part. His voice was shïte. Anything half-live from the 2000's on sounds dreadful.
  • pinno

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

orraloon said:

I think I managed to get one speaker to fall off its stand when I played Dire Straits extremely loud on my hifi at uni. Made I jump. Private Investigations was good at full volume.
    It is. I have Wharfedale's :smile:
  • briantrumpet
    pinno said:

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

orraloon said:

It is. I have Wharfedale's :smile:
    I think I had Wharfedales then too.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,677

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

orraloon said:

Dire Straits toured here in 1986, did two outdoors shows in a football stadium on the north side of town.

Private Investigations was a show highlight, at about 10:30pm both nights.

At university on the Monday morning, it was noticed that the seismograph in the geology building had traced the bass guitar notes from that song, clear little blips on the chart 🙂
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • rjsterry
    Peak Dad 😆
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977
    When he sounds like that on the records, why would anyone think he'd be any good live?
  • rjsterry
    Peruvian Moche skeleton pots.

Google it.

Does not disappoint.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pinno
    I like this chap:

• Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,677
    The world has some weird people, I know. But FaceBook has thrown up this as a suggested Group I might like to join. I’ll never understand their algorithms… but what intrigues me is this group has 88 thousand members!

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • rjsterry
    pinno said:

I like this chap:

He is a handsome chap and much more SFW than many of his friends.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613

The world has some weird people, I know. But FaceBook has thrown up this as a suggested Group I might like to join. I’ll never understand their algorithms… but what intrigues me is this group has 88 thousand members!

Members, pun intended, I hope.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,756
    rjsterry said:

Peruvian Moche skeleton pots.

Google it.

Does not disappoint.

The museum in Quitto has a fine collection of similar pottery.