Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,077
    edited March 2023
    pinno said:

pinno said:

Yet 'hot desking' was hip not so very long ago.

Its now cold desking at home without the heating on.
    But you have a fur coat so you don't need heating.
    I have a warm tail.

But but it doesn’t cover my nuts …..

I’ll get my down jacket.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,396
    Why do people with very limited general knowledge apply to go on TV quiz shows?
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,062
    edited March 2023
    That would go down as one of my annoyances too, why are there so many bloody game shows? Honestly, TV in the main part is dead to me, just utter easy cheap rubbish.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    Happened to here 3 odd clips on t'radio today of a BBC Piano Room session featuring Bono and The Edge. Each time I've gone 'that sounds awful'. I might venture into iPlayer and sample some more... though there's only so much poor pub singer soundtrack I can take.
  • focuszing723
    orraloon said:

Happened to here 3 odd clips on t'radio today of a BBC Piano Room session featuring Bono and The Edge. Each time I've gone 'that sounds awful'. I might venture into iPlayer and sample some more... though there's only so much poor pub singer soundtrack I can take.

Perhaps you still haven't found what you're looking for?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,199

orraloon said:

It's difficult: he's looking for a street with no name.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    pinno said:

orraloon said:

Hope it's not bad but magnificent and even better than the real thing.
  • focuszing723
    edited March 2023
    pinno said:

orraloon said:

That's true, I hope he finds it.
  • pinno

pinno said:

orraloon said:

That's true, I hope he finds it.
    He'll have to search in the howling wind and stinging rain.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,006
    My first Quaker funeral.

I think I might prefer it to normal ones... lots of silence, a few people got up and said a few words amongst the silence. No hymns, and no 'amens'.
  • focuszing723
    edited March 2023
    Can/has anti-matter evolved to produce intelligence akin to matter? If so what does/would it be like?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977
    Why all the Irish politicians go to America on what supposed to be their big day.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,161

Why all the Irish politicians go to America on what supposed to be their big day.

Hard to believe but is isn probably a bigger event over there.
    They do cling onto their roots, however tenuous.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,756

Does it help Guinness and therefore exports?
  • focuszing723

I believe the Internet more than myself in terms of facts, especially when consulting multiple sources.

Basically, I'm superceded by it in terms of memory.

AI's mind/memory. A matter of time.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,912
    I seem to remember there being 30 odd million people in the US who identify as Irish, compared to 5 million in Ireland.

• focuszing723
    edited March 2023

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_Truss-Braced_Wing

I thought this was interesting, a project between Nasa and Boeing to make planes with longer more efficient wings with truss supports. It's projected to give up to a 10% increase in fuel efficiency. Quite a few issues come to mind, turning in airports (I guess part of the wing will fold), fuel in narrower slender wings...
  • focuszing723

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSqYJSsb1XA
    Hundred foot wingspan glider, incredible how they can make the wings without braces. I know it's slow speed and thermal lift, but still.

More efficient better glide ratio.
  • focuszing723
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0YWLgp6uHg
    Meh, chuck this in for good measure.
  • pinno
    Those large wing gliders are being flown in good conditions and offer no alternative to mass transportation (yet).

Transonic truss braced wing offers 10% increase in fuel efficiency which is not significant enough in the scheme of things.

What we need is non-fossil fuel propelled aircraft. Hydrogen jet?

https://www.rolls-royce.com/media/press-releases/2022/28-11-2022-rr-and-easyjet-set-new-aviation-world-first-with-successful-hydrogen-engine-run
  • focuszing723
    Yeah, I think I posted about this before Airbus are looking into hydrogen too. I do think more efficient wings are worth exploring though.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Another local transport issue, related to new homes, has got the local NIMBYs in a froth.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/mar/19/paradise-almost-lost-bypass-threatens-to-destroy-cambridge-farmland-rich-in-wildlife

So I had a nosey in what the more vocal opponents are saying about this.

They all seem to frame this as some form of conspiracy. Like big businesses aren’t staffed by people who also want nice things but evil people who want nothing more than to destroy the world.

• rick_chasey
    Also, I am wondering if the tie is going to suffer the same fate as the hat.
  • pblakeney

Must say that I've worn a hat 100x as much as a tie in recent years.
    More baldness related than fashion though. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    pblakeney said:

Top and bowler hats in the City then ;)
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Top and bowler hats in the City then ;)
    Gawd no, more a cloth cap myself. Or a beanie to cover the ears if really cold.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    edited March 2023
    Yeah. If you watch old footage from the '70s, it was pretty normal to see people in bowler and top hats.

Come the mid 80s they've all but vanished.

I wonder if the tie will follow the same fate and my collection of various nice silk ties will soon really age me.