TDF 2018, Stage 12: Bourg-Saint-Maurice Les Arcs > Alpe d'Huez 19/07/2018 - 175,5 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,313
    moonshine wrote:

That fat tw@t needs some schooling in footwork, poise and striking technique. And what sort of cowardly clown tries to punch a bloke who’s travelling away from him (and from an extreme peripheral angle) and who has both hands gripping handlebars?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,645
    Oh man Kruiswijk. Chapeau.

What’s happened to Nibz??? Was lucky it got tactical up front but still, fair play.
  • rick_chasey
    DeadCalm wrote:
    From Cyclingnews(not a day for the tinfoil hat brigade):
    Geraint Thomas was the fastest today on Alpe d'Huez today, with a time of 41:15.
    That's 4: 35 sec slower than Marco Pantani's record and not fast enough to enter the Top 100 fastest Alpe d'Huez ascents.

Well yes were you not watching the final 3km?
  • nozzac
    nozzac Posts: 408
    So was the booing at the finish for G or Froome or both?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    What’s happened to Nibz??? Was lucky it got tactical up front but still, fair play.
    He crashed into the moto where the crowds where manic (as it was just before the barriers started and there was lots of flare smoke). Finished, but broke a vertebrae - DNS tomorrow.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    He crashed into the moto where the crowds where manic (as it was just before the barriers started and there was lots of flare smoke). Finished, but broke a vertebrae - DNS tomorrow.

Ja I know he crashed

Don’t usually expect riders to be top 10 on the Alp with a broken back.
  • RichN95.
    NozzaC wrote:
    So was the booing at the finish for G or Froome or both?
    Sky generally, I would guess. Thomas was booed on the podium.

Mind you at the World Cup presentation, the French fans booed the announcement of Harry Kane as Golden Boot. It's just what they do. They're dicks.
  • rick_chasey
    Ma boi Dylan had to retire.

Suffering from the Roubaix crash where his forks broke.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    mfin wrote:
    Moaning about the booing isn't going to stop it.

I think everybody that's impartial (in addition to all the sky fan tw@ts) find it difficult to accept booing at Thomas as he's done nothing wrong. Yes, it's not nice, but it is what it is though, he wears a jersey with Sky written on it and Sky didn't have to be this disliked, they brought at least some amount of this dislike on themselves.

What’s Froome or any of the other Sky riders done wrong then to get all the booing? Apart from win lots?
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Fair point. But I'm not saying that it would be the right thing to do. I'm merely pointing out the hypocrisy were Froome to ask Geraint to sacrifice himself given his behaviour during, and subsequent comments regarding, that 2012 Tour.

Bit different. Froome is a 6 time GT winner. In 2012 neither Wiggins nor Froome had won one.
  • RichN95.
    NorvernRob wrote:
    mfin wrote:

I think everybody that's impartial (in addition to all the sky fan tw@ts) find it difficult to accept booing at Thomas as he's done nothing wrong. Yes, it's not nice, but it is what it is though, he wears a jersey with Sky written on it and Sky didn't have to be this disliked, they brought at least some amount of this dislike on themselves.

What’s Froome or any of the other Sky riders done wrong then to get all the booing? Apart from win lots?
    Mostly that. Coupled with continued lack of French success because everyone else is doping. And the need for some for a surrogate for Armstrong. And the pre-race rhetoric from Hinault/Lappartient/Prudhomme didn't help.
  • RichN95.
    The Alps are over now. They suit the power climbers like Dumoulin and Thomas. The Pyrenees are more suited to Froome and Bardet.
  • RichN95.
    Welsh corner (one below the one which will have Thomas's name on it)

DidmF1ZW4AAHW82.jpg
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    NorvernRob wrote:
    mfin wrote:

Hi.
  • RichN95.
    Nibali's retirement has been confirmed by his team
  • i reckon G could have gone all in a km or two out and put in some decent time
    Looked what happened to Yates at the giro doing that
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,154
    RichN95 wrote:

I wonder when ASO will start taking rider safety seriously? Fans add to the atmosphere but in the social media age it has become all about showing off rather than enjoying the spectacle. That was some ride by him in the circumstances.
  • G Hincapie
    G Hincapie Posts: 78
    Excellent for G today; so happy for him.

In other news, sad to learn Sagan is getting divorced. Hope he's OK :(
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,970
    moonshine wrote:

Just heard about the crash of @vincenzonibali, feel really sorry for what happened, full effort, no radio, absolutely not my intention to take any advantage of that. Please respect our efforts, we all share the same passion, let’s do it fair
    Must admit I thought they were waiting and Bardet was the bad guy.
    Got to take that at face value so game on and sympathies with Nibali. Moviestar really are up the creek now.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • RichN95.
    Pross wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

I wonder when ASO will start taking rider safety seriously? Fans add to the atmosphere but in the social media age it has become all about showing off rather than enjoying the spectacle. That was some ride by him in the circumstances.
    They're all about the bottom line. And the more crashes there are the more the French darling gets into 'the easy side of the draw'. It's coming home, it's coming home, cycling's coming home. (See 2014)
  • G Hincapie
    Pross wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

I hate seeing supporters so close to the riders. They should all be kept right back; they can still support behind a barrier.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    They've got to stop using the Alpe. There's no other solution. They can't police it properly, and it attracts too many arseholes.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • G Hincapie
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

They're all about the bottom line. And the more crashes there are the more the French darling gets into 'the easy side of the draw'. It's coming home, it's coming home, cycling's coming home. (See 2014)

If a GC contender was injured and forced to abandon or lost significant time as the direct result of fan behaviour they'd have very right to sue the organisers silly. It really is a health and safety issue, as much as I groan typing that. See how they'd feel about their bottom line then.
  • rick_chasey
    Surely precedent should have given Nibz the same time as Thomas?
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725

I think so.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • rick_chasey
    "Others might choose to hold on to the team car, but if I can’t arrive at the finish on my own, I rather go home. I’m not sad; I’m a realist and a fair sportsman.”

Meeeouw
  • RichN95.
    A fan video shows that Nibali clearly didn't hit the moto. It doesn't show what he hit, but surely someone in the crowd.

https://twitter.com/diegoalvarez12/stat ... 3734559749

As some have said, AdH is a spectacle for TV, but in it's current state not fit for racing.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,154
    Apparently the bloke who took a swing at Froome was arrested, I hope that's the case but saw it on Facebook so who knows if it's true!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,970
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

I think so.
    Not going to count for much though, even if they did.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • RichN95.
    In that precedent the road got completely blocked. All three riders got stopped, there was nowhere to ride. For Nibali, all the other riders in his group were OK. It's not quite the same.