TDF 2018, Stage 12: Bourg-Saint-Maurice Les Arcs > Alpe d'Huez 19/07/2018 - 175,5 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• Korhag
    Korhag Posts: 77
    G said himself on interview, "I still ride for Froomey" :wink:
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Korhag wrote:
    G said himself on interview, "I still ride for Froomey" :wink:

He's such a solid bloke. I'd love to have him as my team mate.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156
    Am I the only one who wouldn't be upset to see the Alpe taken out of the Tour or at least used sparingly? It acts like a magnet for drunken idiots due to its reputation and though iconic it isn't that great a climb IMHO.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Dietjh2XcAEiBfY.jpg:large
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    good interviews with Dan Martin.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    Tommie Voekler furious with the crowd. French TV says police seized projectiles at Dutch corner
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • FocusZing
    Dan, saying he did his best today and happy with that and will try again.
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    I get the excitement for G but I think he's being realistic. He's not going to give away time intentionally but he's well aware that the Pyrenees are still to come and he has never won a 3-week tour. So until he has it's sensible to ride for Froome. If he can match Froome from here on then he will have yellow in Paris.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Pross wrote:
    Am I the only one who wouldn't be upset to see the Alpe taken out of the Tour or at least used sparingly? It acts like a magnet for drunken idiots due to its reputation and though iconic it isn't that great a climb IMHO.

No, that should be the end. I don't like Nibali but that was so unfair on him. We almost saw Kruijskwijk knocked off by some dick who was obsessed with a running selfie. What an absolute pile of wankers.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Looks like Nibali went down right when the visibility with the flares was at its worst - presumably clipped wheels or something https://twitter.com/tourdegila/status/1 ... 1675289601
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    Huge booing at the podium
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • salsiccia1
    davidof wrote:
    Tommie Voekler furious with the crowd. French TV says police seized projectiles at Dutch corner

He's got previous with Dutch Corner, but he's absolutely right.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    Pross wrote:

It's like Puy-de-Dôme: it's had it's day.
    Now it's just not fit for purpose.............the current purpose being to get shitfaced, abuse the riders and generally fark up the race.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    It's not worth getting excited about, enjoy the win if you like Geraint but as for who will be in yellow in Paris, wait and see, a lot can and will probably happen yet.
  • Korhag
    Korhag Posts: 77
    Pathetic boos from the crowd at the podium.
  • FocusZing
    Looks like Nibali went down right when the visibility with the flares was at its worst - presumably clipped wheels or something https://twitter.com/tourdegila/status/1 ... 1675289601

Itv4 said fans? caused Moto to spill and consequently Nibali.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    It looks like the barriers start there and spectators were the wrong side so couldn't move out of the way when nibs and G went up to the motos. Usual amateur organisation.
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    Pross wrote:

It's like Puy-de-Dôme: it's had it's day.
    Now it's just not fit for purpose.............the current purpose being to get shitfaced, abuse the riders and generally fark up the race.
    Seems to be fulfilling that purpose just fine!
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,632
    Pross wrote:

They barriered the top 4K. Should extend it to barriers from 10K up. Charge anyone who wants to go up (to cover the cost of the barriers), and restrict the total numbers allowed up. Restrict booze to 4 cans per person (a la Cricket).
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    The French not covering themselves with glory. Fail to control idiot fans, who take out one of the riders. Their man then attacks when the others try to wait. The crowd then boos the winner. Not good.
  • FocusZing
    Good words from Ned.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Moaning about the booing isn't going to stop it.

I think everybody that's impartial (in addition to all the sky fan tw@ts) find it difficult to accept booing at Thomas as he's done nothing wrong. Yes, it's not nice, but it is what it is though, he wears a jersey with Sky written on it and Sky didn't have to be this disliked, they brought at least some amount of this dislike on themselves.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited July 2018
    Booing is part of sport and everyone loves a villain (Or not as the case may be!).

Noone should be impaired while competing though and those flares are total nonsense.
  • salsiccia1
    BigMat wrote:
    The French not covering themselves with glory. Fail to control idiot fans, who take out one of the riders. Their man then attacks when the others try to wait. The crowd then boos the winner. Not good.

In fairness, I think fans of a few nationalities were at it.
  • hanshotfirst
    hanshotfirst Posts: 397
    BigMat wrote:

The fan trying to pick Nibali up to put him back on the bike as well. This has given me a bit of the rage. Fair enough lend a hand if he picks himself up and help pick the bike up but Nibz looked in a fair amount of pain. If you move someone with a serious injury you risk making it worse.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,632
    Genius line from Thomas on the last corner, won himself 5 or 10 metres for nothing.

Just seen it from the overhead - absolutely. Track skillz init.

Flares definitely need banning / seizing. Impacts all the riders.
  • Pross
    FocusZing wrote:

Itv4 said fans? caused Moto to spill and consequently Nibali.

I think they were just guessing as Froome got held up by the police bike in front of him.
  • Pross
    I'd ban flags as well, especially those festival flags on 5m poles - why do people feel the need to drage them around every cycling event these days? Just watch the race and cheer the riders, it's about them not you.
  • Sagan in at +31'29". Looks understandably not unhappy with how this day has turned out.
  • Pross
    First person to win at Alpe D'Huez whilst wearing yellow apparently.