TDF 2018, Stage 12: Bourg-Saint-Maurice Les Arcs > Alpe d'Huez 19/07/2018 - 175,5 km *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,816
edited July 2018 in Pro race
Bourg-Saint-Maurice Les Arcs > Alpe d'Huez 19/07/2018 - Stage 12 - 175,5 km

Stage 12 of the Tour de France 2018. is 175.5km from Bourg-Saint-Maurice to Alpe d'Huez. Climbs along the way include Col de la Madeleine, the Lacets de Montvernier, and Col de la Croix de Fer. This should be a mountain classic to round off the Tour's stay in the Alps for another year. The iconic 21 hairpins of the Alpe account for a challenging finale with 13.8 kilometres of climbing at 8.1%.

stage-12-route.jpg?01

Alpe d’Huez returns to the Tour de France for the first time since 2015 when Thibaut Pinot soloed to victory ahead of Nairo Quintana, who saw an all-or-nothing attack turn sour. He won 1’20” on Froome, yet it was not enough as the next day the Briton received the overall honours in Paris. Who is going to succeed Pinot?

stage-12-profile.jpg?22

The stage starts in Bourg-Saint-Maurice (départ fictif) on rue Capitaine Desserteaux. If I was taking part in the race, I would be tempted to be Captain Desert-o at this point, and abandon - especially as the first business on the right of the street is a pastry shop. It's possible that the time limit will come into play by the end of the day, and one or two competitors won't have any choice about being Captain D.

The riders head down the Tarentaise valley (the valley of the river Isère) to the départ réel at Bellentre; the route continues following the Isère to Moûtiers.
From Moûtiers, Stage 12 still shadows the river Isère, going through Aigueblanche and la Léchère. It's on the D97 until the turn-off to Bonneval (D213). Now, the riders begin the first categorised climb of the day, the Col de la Madeleine. It's 25.3km at an average 6.2%, with some of the steepest sections coming near the top. The summit is at 2,000m. In the winter, the slopes here form part of the Valmorel ski area.

stage-12-col-de-la-madeleine.jpg

Col-de-la-Madeleine-Climb-Alps.jpg

Over the top of the Col de la Madeleine, there's a 20km descent via the ski resort of Saint-François-Longchamp (linked to Valmorel) to la Chambre in the Maurienne valley. Following the descent the riders hit the short and sharp Les Lacets de Montvernier.

Les Lacets de Montvernier
https://youtu.be/160qwlWGyWU?t=5

climb-profile-lacets-montvernier.jpg

It's nowhere near as high as the Col de la Madeleine, peaking at just 782m, but the Lacets de Montvernier are popular with the Tour de France organisers because of the spectacle of the peloton crawling up the tight hairpin bends, or laces, of the climb.

hf_w1i-FoPjj9u0zPxzfN525kxQ.jpg

According to Maurienne Tourisme, it took 6 years of works, between 1928 and 1934, to build this road from the Maurienne valley to the village of Montvernier. It is one of the most spectacular roads in the Savoie département. The last time the Tour de France came this way was in 2015, on Stage 18.
The riders go back down to the Maurienne valley via Hermillon, and continue by the river to Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne. This is the location of the intermediate sprint on Stage 12, and the line is part-way along the straight rue de la Libération.
Next they arrive at the base of the Col de la Croix de Fer, yet another famous Alp. Peaking 2.067 metres, the Croix de Fer is crested at kilometre 121. It is a 29 kilometres toil at 5.2% to arrive at that altitude.

stage-12-croix-de-fer.jpg

There are three steep ramps - the first from Saint-Jean to Pierrepin-Dessous, the second (after a short descent) to Charvin and a tunnel at 1,275m, then the final steep section after Saint-Sorlin-d'Arves to the summit at 2,067m. This is an hors catégorie climb.

CroixdeFerGuillestre.jpg

4627926662_9c3edefddf.jpg

From the top of the Col de la Croix de Fer, there follows a long (29km) descent to Allemont. The riders pass the Lac de Grand Maison, which marks the border between Savoie and the Isère. This lake is the upper reservoir in a pumped storage hydro-electric scheme, and is formed by a dam of a stream called l'Eau d'Olle.
The descent continues to the lower reservoir at Allemont, the Lac du Verney. The riders go round the east side of the lake, crossing the Viaduc de l'Eau d'Olle.
From Allemont, the peloton takes the flat valley road (D526/D1091) to Bourg-d'Oisans. Then all that remains is the famous climb via 21 hairpin bends to Alpe-d'Huez. This HC climb is 13.8km at an average 8.1%, with the finish line at an altitude of 1,850m.

climb-profile-alpe-d-huez.jpg

alpe10241.jpg

Cycling Weekly have made a good video of the climb to Alpe d'Huez:

https://youtu.be/ELSCR5L5YeE

The publicity caravan sets off from Bourg-Saint-Maurice at 1010, and the peloton at 1210. The projected average speeds are30, 32, and 34kmh, and depending on which is the most accurate, the riders will arrive at the finish line at Alpe d'Huez between 1734 and 1816cet.

Bourg-Saint-Maurice Les Arcs

2 previous stages

Chef-lieu of a canton in Savoie (73)

7,644 inhabitants (Borains and Arcadiens)

16,789 in the 8 communes of the Haute Tarentaise Community of communes.

BOURG SAINT-MAURICE AND CYCLING

Two individual time trials were held in Bourg-Saint-Maurice in 1939 and again in 1996. The last one followed a historic day, during which "King Miguel" lost control of the race he had dominated since 1991 in the climb to Les Arcs. As the finish approached, Indurain was dropped from the front group. It was the end of an era. In 2009, the winner here was Sandy Casar.
The timed effort of 1939 was also a date in the history of the Tour de France since it was the first individual time trial ever held in the race. Starting from Bonneval-sur-Arc, the riders had to climb the 14 km of the Iseran pass in gruelling conditions as it was -4 ° at the summit while a bitter wind was blowing on the wet tarmac bordered by snow. Yellow Jersey holder Sylvère Maes crushed his rivals, relegating René Vietto to almost ten minutes on the 64.5 km of this half-stage. The final general classification was already established.

pecialities: Beaufort (Bourg-Saint-Maurice dairy cooperative), upholstery (César Carasco)

ec783

Alpe d'Huez

29 previous stages

Ski resort in Isère (38)

1,440 inhabitants (Huizats)

10,747 for the 20 communes of the Oisans community of communes

L’ALPE D'HUEZ AND CYCLING

In 1952, Fausto Coppi was the first to conquer the 21 corners leading up to L’Alpe d’Huez. The succession of wins by Zoetemelk, Kuiper or Winnen earned the climb the nickname of "Dutch Mountain" before the Italians also showed up with riders like Gianni Bugno or Marco Pantani. On the French side, Bernard Hinault was the first crowned at the top in 1986. In 2011, Pierre Rolland took the baton and, in 2013, for the first double ascent of this monument, French colours were again honoured thanks to Christophe Riblon. The series continued in 2015 with the victory of Thibaut Pinot. In the list of stage victories, the Netherlands are still leading with eight successes against seven to the Italians, four to the French and three to the Spaniards.
In 2013, for its centenary, the Tour de France allowed itself the luxury of climbing l’Alpe d'Huez twice.
However, the first finish in the resort in 1952 had not convinced the organisers, who did not return before 1976. Fausto Coppi is perhaps to blame. He showed so much ease on the climb that the organisers were led to believe that the dreaded ascent was in fact too easy! This is what Max Favalelli, a special correspondent on the event, wrote with humour: "If you found yourself on Friday on the steep slopes that lead to Alpe d'Huez and you saw Coppi ride past, upright on his bike, hands up the handlebars, you probably thought: Come on, you have been kidding me, the road is perfectly flat!"

_D2X5653.jpg

Specialities: Caillette (pork meat pâté), Farcis de l'Oisans (leek, cabbage, potato, egg and bread rolled in balls and cooked in a soup), Gratin dauphinois, Ganèfles (gratin made from grated potatoes), Oreilles d'âne (donkey’s ears, calzone stuffed with spinach or meat), crozets (potato gnocchi). Spirits: Chartreuse, Génépi.

caillette.jpg

37959_w420h344c1cx2376cy1584.jpg

Liqueur-genepi.jpg
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    If you go SW from Moutiers on that map, toward St. Martin, there is a grey line going up an empty valley. We stayed in a Mountain refuge over night then, having waved the guests off at 5am, drover round to the Maurienne Valley over a misty, dawn Madeline. It was so quiet that halfway up I was confronted by a massive Stag in the middle of the road.

We had a moment me and that Stag.

(I then think I totally buggered the brakes on the van comng down the other side way too fast :oops: )

Also, the lacets make a great climb for a quick evening ride as they get the sun. They re also not so steep so nice for the larger (or tired) cyclist. It's a great way to get out of the valley...which is a god awful place frankly. Nothing to reccomend it at all.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Funny, the TdF app on my phone has just informed me that this stage has just finished...
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,329
    I'll be impressed if Sagan takes the intermediate sprint i this. Genuinely.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    A classic stage profile that.

Two HCs, then flat along the valley into the Alp.

Nomnom.

You think Froome’s been watching reruns of the 2008 edition? ;)
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091

It's like a child's drawing of a tour stage isn't it?

What a terrible day to be 'working' from home, rather than the office...
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195

It's like a child's drawing of a tour stage isn't it?

What a terrible day to be 'working' from home, rather than the office...

Faster internet for streaming multiple feeds?
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Hope Team Sky are on the lookout today

DhF31bPWsAE5CkU.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    I have this feeling Dumolin is going to absolutely fly through corner 7 on the Alp....

Hey DD - you’re always asking waar de feestje is?

Ga maar naar bocht 7.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Shoulda done this summer, but I suppose I should also try real life again for a few months...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    Excellent intro, Blazing Saddles.

I hope the bedlam on the Alpe d’Huez doesn’t prevent an honest race.
  • rick_chasey
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHUmh3Xg2pc
    This ought to get everyone in the mood.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786

Just read that he's getting divorced (that didn't last long), but it doesn't seem to be affecting his riding..
  • rick_chasey
    Oh no!
  • alanparsons
    alanparsons Posts: 529
    inseine wrote:

Just read that he's getting divorced (that didn't last long), but it doesn't seem to be affecting his riding..

Which movie do you think he will make a film of to document his heartbreak/relief at the end of the marriage?

This was the the engagement one:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYUZIW0kEPM
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406

climb-profile-alpe-d-huez.jpg

I always knew that bit after Huez village was the steepest, this is the only profile I've seen it acknowledged.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    I’ve done the Lacettes a couple of times now. It’s great fun but over far too quickly unless you decide to go up the Col du Chaussey. The ‘YATES YOU CAN’ paint is still there from 2016 on nearly every stretch of road. Went up the first time with an old guy who’d bought a house in the village at the top just so he could climb it on his commute!
  • rick_chasey
    That's why it's a goodie ABC. Tough start to sort out the boys who struggle to find a rhythm early on and punish bad positioning into the climb, and then the steep bit deep enough in that it can really hurt, but then you get that flattening out which always suits the rider who has enough left in the tank to get it in the big ring and POWEEEER.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    What Bocht 7 looks like without hundreds of crazy Dutchies...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXYI52glNow/?taken-by=pollypallisterwilkins
    Correlation is not causation.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    My prediction for how it will go today. If Thomas can keep it together, Froome will attack on the latter part of the Alpe and take a minute (plus maybe the 10 second bonus) out of Thomas' lead. That will leave Thomas in yellow until stage 17 in the Pyranees where Froome will smash everyone to win the stage and effectively the Tour.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    Rigoberto Uran has abandoned
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    RichN95 wrote:

Vuelta head to head with S Yates?....
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    RichN95 wrote:

And Porte
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • yorkshireraw
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

And Porte

hmmm, reckon Ritchie's head will be down for a while yet. Just may not be up for it.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

And Porte

hmmm, reckon Ritchie's head will be down for a while yet. Just may not be up for it.

If Porte is recovered, surely the Vuelta will be his best chance to win a GT.
  • yorkshireraw
    NorvernRob wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

And Porte

agree - but must be mentally bruised after crashing out the TDF 2 years in a row when in top form.Also, will BMC even send him there if he's leaving?....
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

And Porte

and Froome
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • inseine
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

And Porte

and Froome

lol
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    NorvernRob wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

And Porte

agree - but must be mentally bruised after crashing out the TDF 2 years in a row when in top form.Also, will BMC even send him there if he's leaving?....

I don’t know about Porte’s state of mind, but surely BMC wouldn’t give away the chance to win a GT, particularly as it’s the last they’ll ever ride in their current guise?
  • inseine
    NorvernRob wrote:
    NorvernRob wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

And Porte

I don’t know about Porte’s state of mind, but surely BMC wouldn’t give away the chance to win a GT, particularly as it’s the last they’ll ever ride in their current guise?

and the future team will be classics orientated. They've slowly built a GT squad but looks like they're knocking that on the head.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    inseine wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

And Porte

and Froome

lol

There were mutterings on the ITV podcast that Froome might well do the Vuelta. Millar suggested that it's harder to keep/gain race fitness as you get older, so going from GT to GT isn't so silly. Not sure if that stacks up in reality, but it's interesting that there's already talk of Froome going for it.