TDF 2018, Stage 12: Bourg-Saint-Maurice Les Arcs > Alpe d'Huez 19/07/2018 - 175,5 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,645
    You’re amazingly defensive of Froome. Relax. I’m not having a go.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Just watched the highlights. Decent stage. Fairplay to Bardet for having a crack. Is Quintana done? Really happy for Thomas, think he's playing it cool so as not to heap pressure on himself but reckon he wants it big time. Froome not looking on absolutely top form but third week still to come. Think Guiness World Records might want to have a look into a new record for the greatest concentration of bell ends anywhere. Some of the crowd were a joke.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Pross wrote:
    Apparently the bloke who took a swing at Froome was arrested, I hope that's the case but saw it on Facebook so who knows if it's true!
    It didn't look like the same bloke in the pictures I saw. But it's quite possible two people took a swing
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    You’re amazingly defensive of Froome. Relax. I’m not having a go.
    I didn't think you were having a go. You just have a differing opinion.
  • john1967
    john1967 Posts: 366
    RichN95 wrote:
    A fan video shows that Nibali clearly didn't hit the moto. It doesn't show what he hit, but surely someone in the crowd.

https://twitter.com/diegoalvarez12/stat ... 3734559749

As some have said, AdH is a spectacle for TV, but in it's current state not fit for racing.

hes hit the railing. It must be were the railing starts.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Surely precedent should have given Nibz the same time as Thomas?

I think so.
    Not going to count for much though, even if they did.

I know, but they'd made the decision before knowing he was out.

It's been a poor show all round from virtually everyone except the riders today. And Prudhomme was worried about Froome bringing the race into disrepute...
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    RichN95 wrote:
    A fan video shows that Nibali clearly didn't hit the moto. It doesn't show what he hit, but surely someone in the crowd.
    I heard he hit the barrier. Because of the moto, or the smoke, or the people, or whatever, he didn't see the barriers started there, and likely ran into the stick-out foot of the very first barrier.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Looked at bit similar to Luz Ardiden and that Armstrong crash on S15 of the '03 Tour. Perhaps something caught his handlebar.

Can't say I enjoy the stage when there are so many folks hyped up and close to the riders. Tension comes from expecting something like this to happen rather than the racing tbh.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    not sure if this video helps much either, https://twitter.com/radsportcafe/status ... 0724517889 but it doesnt fwiw look like he hits a barrier at first, theres a line of people there the wrong side anyway, looks like hes following froomes wheel,then steers right.

seen a few people claim handlebars caught one of the spectator smurfs group trying to ipad/phone the riders
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,154
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Surely precedent should have given Nibz the same time as Thomas?

I think so.
    Not going to count for much though, even if they did.

I know, but they'd made the decision before knowing he was out.

It's been a poor show all round from virtually everyone except the riders today. And Prudhomme was worried about Froome bringing the race into disrepute...

It would be really tricky here though, if he got given the same time as Thomas he would have either done better than the rest of the group or Thomas would have lost the few extra seconds he gained on the line which would seem a bit unfair.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    I’ve seen people on Twitter claim it was the camera strap of a Dutch bloke dressed as a smurf.
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    edited July 2018
    Looks like something catches on his bars

A camera strap maybe?

XFLBkpE.gif
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    BigMat wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    The French not covering themselves with glory. Fail to control idiot fans, who take out one of the riders. Their man then attacks when the others try to wait. The crowd then boos the winner. Not good.

In fairness, I think fans of a few nationalities were at it.

I did plan to edit that post, but then got called into a meeting! Anyways:

Edit - I have no idea where the idiots are from, but there doesn't seem to be any issue in Italy and I doubt the Vuelta will have it either. Pretty sure I saw someone aim a blow at Froome. They'll ruin it for the rest of us cycling fans, the openness of road racing is a beautifyul thing but its getting hard to argue against 10km barriers and charging to watch.

yeah and anyway now we have video games why not make it safer and do it all virtually. its fairer to the athletes and no mark spectators
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Well done G
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Mattsaw wrote:
    Looks like something catches

XFLBkpE.gif

That really is bad luck, isn't it?
  • salsiccia1
    BigMat wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    The French not covering themselves with glory. Fail to control idiot fans, who take out one of the riders. Their man then attacks when the others try to wait. The crowd then boos the winner. Not good.

In fairness, I think fans of a few nationalities were at it.

I did plan to edit that post, but then got called into a meeting! Anyways:

Edit - I have no idea where the idiots are from, but there doesn't seem to be any issue in Italy and I doubt the Vuelta will have it either. Pretty sure I saw someone aim a blow at Froome. They'll ruin it for the rest of us cycling fans, the openness of road racing is a beautifyul thing but its getting hard to argue against 10km barriers and charging to watch.

yeah and anyway now we have video games why not make it safer and do it all virtually. its fairer to the athletes and no mark spectators

What are you on about?
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907

You could put it down to luck

Or dickheds trying to get too close and not letting the riders past.

I'm a huge fan of being able to get close to the riders, but the past few years have gone beyond the pail.

The fool trying to get a selfie with Kruiswijk earlier on in the climb was 'lucky' not to do the same,
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • salsiccia1
    Mattsaw wrote:

XFLBkpE.gif

It's not bad luck, it's shithouse carelessness from the spectator
  • salsiccia1
    Mattsaw wrote:
    The fool trying to get a selfie with Kruiswijk earlier on in the climb was 'lucky' not to do the same,

That guy needs a good stiff kick in the boIIocks. Repeatedly.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    The spectator pulls back to give them all space, but the strap takes time to move. If he'd gone half a second earlier Nibali escapes. If he's half a second later the strap wouldn't have opened up as much by the time he got there, reducing the chance of it catching. He'd probably have instinctively steered away from it too if the spectator cleared out later.

So from that point of view, to hook up on that strap is bad luck. Funnily enough, i have more issues with the position of the guy filming it, as they have to swerve to avoid him!
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    RichN95 wrote:

https://twitter.com/diegoalvarez12/stat ... 3734559749

As some have said, AdH is a spectacle for TV, but in it's current state not fit for racing.

Looks like some numptys camera strap got caught on his handlebars and he went down.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Today saw stacks of over excitable drunk fans causing strongly worded outrage from a bunch of tv watching beige squares who had a little sniffle about it distracting from their own enjoyment, boo hoo. Write a stern nerdy letter to the UCI, or, just wait and see if anything is done about fans in the future, moaning doesn't affect anything.

On a minor point the talk of track skills by G on the last corner was a complete joke, track skills my arse, it's a bloke taking cycling round a corner. Maybe it was Johnathan God-Bothering Triple Jumper Edwards who started that crap though.

The video of the punch guy I'm not sure looked like a genuine attempt at a punch, looked just as likely he ran up shouting at Froome and as Froome past waved his fist in anger. The video is far from definitive, but people see what they want to get outraged about rather than looking properly I suppose.

A wonderful result for Geraint today, and it was all about the result more than the performance, but the racing on the Alpe was certainly not dull though.

Talk of G winning? Forget it, just see what happens, plenty of time to go yet.
  • RichN95.
    mfin wrote:
    Today saw stacks of over excitable drunk fans causing strongly worded outrage from a bunch of tv watching beige squares who had a little sniffle about it distracting from their own enjoyment, boo hoo. Write a stern nerdy letter to the UCI, or, just wait and see if anything is done about fans in the future, moaning doesn't affect anything.

On a minor point the talk of track skills by G on the last corner was a complete joke, track skills my ars*, it's a bloke taking cycling round a corner. Maybe it was Johnathan God-Bothering Triple Jumper Edwards who started that crap though.

The video of the punch guy I'm not sure looked like a genuine attempt at a punch, looked just as likely he ran up shouting at Froome and as Froome past waved his fist in anger. The video is far from definitive, but people see what they want to get outraged about rather than looking properly I suppose.

A wonderful result for Geraint today, and it was all about the result more than the performance, but the racing on the Alpe was certainly not dull though.

Talk of G winning? Forget it, just see what happens, plenty of time to go yet.
    Why do you watch? You're just a cycling version of Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons.
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397
    The spectator pulls back to give them all space, but the strap takes time to move. If he'd gone half a second earlier Nibali escapes. If he's half a second later the strap wouldn't have opened up as much by the time he got there, reducing the chance of it catching. He'd probably have instinctively steered away from it too if the spectator cleared out later.

So from that point of view, to hook up on that strap is bad luck. Funnily enough, i have more issues with the position of the guy filming it, as they have to swerve to avoid him!

Ok. So the next time a car pulls out in front of me when I'm riding, causing me to crash heavily, I should just shrug it off and put it down to bad luck?

Poor phrasing which ever way you look at it.

A spectator directly causes a top pro rider to crash. That is unacceptable.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Nibali was 13secs down on Thomas on Alpe D'huez with a fractured vertebra

Respect.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Any thoughts on why so many sprinters have been eliminated?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Nibali was 13secs down on Thomas on Alpe D'huez with a fractured vertebra

Respect.
    They waited...well G, Froome and tom did....Bardet didn’t
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Mattsaw wrote:

XFLBkpE.gif

The really bad luck was that the sperm found the egg and that d!ckhead was the result.... :roll:

One less obstacle for Thomas, err, I mean Froome on the way to Paris....
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    Nibali was 13secs down on Thomas on Alpe D'huez with a fractured vertebra

Respect.
    They waited...well G, Froome and tom did....Bardet didn’t
    What Donald Trump-style version of reality do you exist in?
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    DeadCalm wrote:
    From Cyclingnews(not a day for the tinfoil hat brigade):
    Geraint Thomas was the fastest today on Alpe d'Huez today, with a time of 41:15.
    That's 4: 35 sec slower than Marco Pantani's record and not fast enough to enter the Top 100 fastest Alpe d'Huez ascents.

Well yes were you not watching the final 3km?
    Fair point.