2018: Tour de Yorkshire (2.1) May3rd-6th. *Spoilers*

Comments

• awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    gsk82 wrote:
    Meanwhile, looks like Astana owe someone a stiff drink or three:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-leeds-44025685/near-miss-for-tour-de-yorkshire-volunteer
    Just saw that, pretty bad but good skillz from the marshall.

Whoever was driving that should be banned for a long time. There's no excuse.

totally, I keep seeing people on social media treating it like it was almost a youll be framed comedy clip :evil:

wtf are the drivers in the team cars doing driving like that at all, and not just the astana driver, but all of them, if a rider falls, ala Froome in his ITT practice, none of those cars are going to be able to stop in time or avoid them, they only missed the marshall because they reacted, but he could easily have ended up running into the path of another team car.

thats crazy, that should be instant ban for the DS and the driver from being in any UCI sanctioned car convoy at all
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    awavey wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-leeds-44025685/near-miss-for-tour-de-yorkshire-volunteer

totally, I keep seeing people on social media treating it like it was almost a youll be framed comedy clip :evil:

wtf are the drivers in the team cars doing driving like that at all, and not just the astana driver, but all of them, if a rider falls, ala Froome in his ITT practice, none of those cars are going to be able to stop in time or avoid them, they only missed the marshall because they reacted, but he could easily have ended up running into the path of another team car.

thats crazy, that should be instant ban for the DS and the driver from being in any UCI sanctioned car convoy at all

He'll have been on the radio while looking at a map and watching the tv at the time, while his assistant does nothing
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    Hahahaha it's funny cause it's true. :lol:
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    It's a surprise it doesn't happen more often to be honest.

But then (playing Devil's Advocate slightly) if you're driving on a closed road, do you need to pay as much attention as normal to your driving?
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    gsk82 wrote:
    awavey wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:

He'll have been on the radio while looking at a map and watching the tv at the time, while his assistant does nothing

So why can't the assistant JUST drive - and the DS can concentrate on being a DS? I'm actually surprised there aren't more 'incidents'. Multitasking behind the wheel of a car isn't a clever idea....
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Great day out yesterday, it's good to see the race getting bigger each year. For the first edition I thought that there was a bit of a honeymoon period from the Tour de France, but now it seems to be getting more popular under it's own steam. Some great racing too, that ride from Stephane Rossetto was superb.

I went out to watch it on Park Rash & Greenhow Hill and I have to say that Yorkshire is definitely growing on me...

27079877167_9c2f982ea2_b.jpgParkRash by Alan Gibworth

27079854947_c91001db1c_b.jpgStephane Rossetto by Alan Gibworth

27079836047_7a1c8181a4_b.jpgGreenhow Summit by Alan Gibworth
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    thegibdog wrote:
    Great day out yesterday, it's good to see the race getting bigger each year. For the first edition I thought that there was a bit of a honeymoon period from the Tour de France, but now it seems to be getting more popular under it's own steam. Some great racing too, that ride from Stephane Rossetto was superb.

I went out to watch it on Park Rash & Greenhow Hill and I have to say that Yorkshire is definitely growing on me...

good pix

how did you take this one!?

27079877167_9c2f982ea2_b.jpg
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    Phil will like this, when he gets home from the race.

https://twitter.com/AliceHBailey/status ... 7403019264

Oh! Thanks for that. The flags on show again! It was absolutely mad in Haworth :)

Got there pretty early to bag a decent spot (right outside the pub at the top). Riding up the cobbles (very flat forgiving ones) to accompanying cheers was great. The atmosphere was amazing.

Here's our brave victor coming through

32073106_10216492879221053_161660941228834816_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=3e490df006dc237ecebec9130e1b38e3&oe=5B5771EB

This is the aftermath

31956038_10216486444420187_2811348161598062592_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=8df1330197773f4a2f06289c306b5c59&oe=5B53B126

From a local's perspective I think it was a fantastic race, and a great few days out with my mates to watch too :D
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    good pix

how did you take this one!?
    Cheers. I was on the other side of the valley, it was a great vantage point.

41230764054_74755424b8_b.jpgPeloton on Park Rash by Alan Gibworth
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    It was good to see Dunbar having a good race, I was worried he might disappear into obscurity but hopefully he'll get picked up by a bigger team soon (appreciate he's still very young). He does look odd on the bike though, almost as though he's riding someone else's bike that's too small for him.

Pidcock showed well for such a young rider and will hopefully have learned a lot for the future.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    Tdy organisers are in discussions to host the start of the vuelta according to bbc.

Do other places not want these events or has Yorkshire just got a pot of cash that no one else has? After seeing Yorkshire i can imagine other minor counties being intimidated mind.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • ducknumber1
    ducknumber1 Posts: 1,172
    gsk82 wrote:
    Tdy organisers are in discussions to host the start of the vuelta according to bbc.

Do other places not want these events or has Yorkshire just got a pot of cash that no one else has? After seeing Yorkshire i can imagine other minor counties being intimidated mind.

Javier Guillén was on stage at the "Eve of Tour Celebrations" in Millennium Square and was asked about it (answer was maybe), can only assume being over here would be part of this. And given the crowds this weekend I'm on the optimistic side of a Vuelta start in Yorkshire (Leeds preferably please :D )
  • thefog
    thefog Posts: 197

Epic solo for sure: a real one off. No other race quite like it.
    I thought that the grovelling was more intense last year, though.
    BMC way too strong for the rest, so the race needs to go to HC, tout suite.

Surely BMC were only stronger as a result of the team they entered and even then it was only 6 riders. Which points to a reduction in the number of riders per team - a 2.1 doesn’t need 7 rider teams. Reduce to six and invite 2 more teams.

The Tour of Britain took years to move to HC and its suited to opening up to 70% of entries being world tour byvirtue of position in calendar. Tour of Yorkshire is competing with (previously Romandie) and this year Giro. Perhaps the reason why previous entries Lotto and Mitchelton Scott weren’t there (I am assuming they didn’t enter as it’s unlikely they’d not accept their entries)

I’d keep it 2.1, invite more pro conti teams such as Euskadi and Rally who gave good accounts of themselves and forget the likes of Holdsworth whose invite was, frankly, a waste.
  • thefog
    thefog Posts: 197
    Although I should add that the crowds and racing this year and tee stunning tv pictures, along with rider accounts of how much they loved it, may tempt one or two more WT teams anyway. Perfect race for some of the likes of Quickstep, cannondale and Movistar.
  • mididoctors
    TheFog wrote:

Epic solo for sure: a real one off. No other race quite like it.
    I thought that the grovelling was more intense last year, though.
    BMC way too strong for the rest, so the race needs to go to HC, tout suite.

Surely BMC were only stronger as a result of the team they entered and even then it was only 6 riders. Which points to a reduction in the number of riders per team - a 2.1 doesn’t need 7 rider teams. Reduce to six and invite 2 more teams.

The Tour of Britain took years to move to HC and its suited to opening up to 70% of entries being world tour byvirtue of position in calendar. Tour of Yorkshire is competing with (previously Romandie) and this year Giro. Perhaps the reason why previous entries Lotto and Mitchelton Scott weren’t there (I am assuming they didn’t enter as it’s unlikely they’d not accept their entries)

I’d keep it 2.1, invite more pro conti teams such as Euskadi and Rally who gave good accounts of themselves and forget the likes of Holdsworth whose invite was, frankly, a waste.

mmmm I'm in two minds too ..a load of WT teams would shut the race down too much. yeah sure Astana and BMC (sky?) were way stronger than everyone else but they were left to do all the work. I like that dynamic... Astana were finished defending that jersey for a few days. maybe BMC would have been too [less so I think] if GVA had won on stage 2? it really is a good showpiece for developing riders in smaller teams and it has a sorta pro Conti combine vs the big guys' vibe about it.

if that bunch was full of wt teams the breakaways would be way less likely. it's getting close to a perfect sweet spot where its biased towards the few WT team entries BUT they really need to come with their A game...tactically and close to peak physical condition as possible. a few mistakes and they are out of it. A few better plays tactically on the road by the rapidly learning domestic teams could make life even harder too.

katusha were amusing...they just didn't seem to know how to race those hard roads.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • specialgueststar
    specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
    Stéphane Rossetto après sa victoire au Tour du Yorkshire : «Faut profiter de la forme, c'est tellement dur à avoir»

Take advantage of (your) form It's hard to come by !
  • mididoctors
    Stéphane Rossetto après sa victoire au Tour du Yorkshire : «Faut profiter de la forme, c'est tellement dur à avoir»

Take advantage of (your) form It's hard to come by !

174km break

114km of it solo
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    This race is reet good.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    gsk82 wrote:

Yes I guess of the counties that have the scenery to show off Yorkshire has a big enough population to have the money and a big enough area to run a stage race.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,643
    The Vuelta Yorkshire start was a cycling podcast scoop FYI.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701

Het Nieuwsblad, with today's scoop: Matera, Marseille, Poland and Wales (as reported last year) are interested in running the 2019 Grande Partenza of the Giro d'Italia.

Could get a bit crowded with all these UK Grand Tours.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,643

Het Nieuwsblad, with today's scoop: Matera, Marseille, Poland and Wales (as reported last year) are interested in running the 2019 Grande Partenza of the Giro d'Italia.

Could get a bit crowded with all these UK Grand Tours.

TBH I'd give it to Matera. That place is unreal and deserves to get more attention.

Matera_-_veduta_della_Civita_da_S._Maria_di_Idris.JPG
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    I have a friend who is from there.

I went and stayed in the caves and have a couple of brilliant nights out.

Didn't Cav win last time it went there?
  • mididoctors
    [ignore wrong thread!]
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Is this foreign start thing new for the Vuelta? I can't say I've noticed before (I've got a terrible memory). Which countries has it started in?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Is this foreign start thing new for the Vuelta? I can't say I've noticed before (I've got a terrible memory). Which countries has it started in?

started in Nimes France last year for sure
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Hasn’t it started or finished in Benidorm :lol:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    awavey wrote:

started in Nimes France last year for sure

Lisbon 1997
    Assen 2009

Both race starts
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771
    awavey wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:

Was thinking about this - is a car as part of the race convoy, so part of the closed road contingent, still subject to RTA laws? Or are they suspended whilst in a closed road environment? They dont stop at traffic lights etc, so I guess they can be on phones etc whilst driving?
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Didn't watch any of the race or even follow it tbf, but we were in Filey/Scarborough for our first family holiday last monday-friday and couldn't believe the local support.

Yes, have seen all of the pics of 6 deep fans etc, but we heard a group of 70-80 year old women talking about it in a cafe tues morning. And when I say talking, they knew all of the riders names and we actually commenting on the racing haha.

The whole place has properly taken to it, I'm sure you all knew, but was really nice to see.