2018: Tour de Yorkshire (2.1) May3rd-6th. *Spoilers*

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    stage :)
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • sagalout
    sagalout Posts: 338
    Pross wrote:
    It's back on form this year, from memory last year was a bit disappointing. My only issue is the length at 4 days is a bit odd, I'd love to see an annual 1 day WT level race in the area. Really looking forward to tomorrow's stage and next year's Worlds.

Apparently the teams/riders really wanted 4 days as it’s a good block of riding for this stage of the season
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    Great stage again. Who said sprint stages are boring? Excellent tactics from BMC not quite paying off, Chavanel doing what Chavanel does and so nearly hanging on before what I assume was a headwind got the better of him then a very good sprint with Coquard messing up going too early into the wind after all the effort from his team mates.
  • Pross
    sagalout wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    It's back on form this year, from memory last year was a bit disappointing. My only issue is the length at 4 days is a bit odd, I'd love to see an annual 1 day WT level race in the area. Really looking forward to tomorrow's stage and next year's Worlds.

Apparently the teams/riders really wanted 4 days as it’s a good block of riding for this stage of the season

They certainly seem to turn up to race.
  • mididoctors
    the crowds inject enthusiasm into the teams somewhat too I suspect. makes people want to race
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    good course, great scenery. amazing crowds. domestic teams at their peak form..its their big show each year.

all adds up. organisation good (a few teething issues)
  • Pross
    the crowds inject enthusiasm into the teams somewhat too I suspect. makes people want to race

I also wonder if the amount of points on offer are sufficiently small that the big teams will risk going all out for the win?
  • Pross
    Good to see Yorkshire doing their bit to stop the objectification of podium girls! The riders aren't quite sure whether to go for the traditional cheek kisses or a handshake.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Who won!?
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325

I rode out to Sutton Bank for today's stage. Was a great atmosphere, with crowds at least ten deep at the top. What we noticed was the number of team cars with people filming the crowds - pretty much every car had at least one person filming it on their phone. It certainly gave the impression that the teams were enjoying it as much as we were.
  • Pross
    Max Walscheid from Sunweb
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    Thought I would go and watch it on the tv in the sun with a load more people,this was still with about 70k to go

28039955798_f32b60e7a9_b.jpg
  • mididoctors
    Who won!?

almost didn't matter.

bizarre but true
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    Just watched pretty much the lot.
    Wow.
    That sprint stage had pretty much everything, while the Giro stage had pretty much nothing.
    Gotta love the French teams when they come here, to an ASO race.
    They don't half give it a go.
    Poor old Sylvain C: so close.
    I think I saw his last win live, but that was on the track.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    cofidis who often get derided deserve some credit for adding firepower to the breaks
  • rob13
    rob13 Posts: 430
    It's the race that keeps on giving! Sprinters as least got a chance today although Chavanel ran them close. Incredible crowds, we were in the throng up Sutton bank and there was a great atmosphere. Weather fantastic and like it's been said, organisers and team cars filming the route. Most spectated 2:1 race?
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    One Pro have really earned there place in this race, but you see the difference with the quality of the world tour guys
  • mididoctors
    stg 4: race blowing tp pieces on the first climb of the day...groups forming everywhere.
  • mididoctors
    got mugged early Astana. they have to hope the groups out front fade.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    got mugged early Astana. they have to hope the groups out front fade.

It all seems to have settled down with no signs of panic, and Cavendish has made it into that main bunch so they can't be chasing that hard.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    best place in the world is this Yorkshire
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    I bet a few of these riders are hating today.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    gsk82 wrote:
    best place in the world is this Yorkshire

:D
  • mididoctors
    you think they have judged this right? slowly drifting away from them?
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    you think they have judged this right? slowly drifting away from them?

Long way to go into a headwind. It's that second group of riders they need to mark, not Rosetti.
  • mididoctors
    Rossetto may die a thousand deaths but who's going to help Astana chase the Bookwalter group?
  • ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    Who's in the bookwalter group?

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • Pross
    I'm amazed Astana allowed such a big group to go that's filled with riders within a minute on GC. I can't see anyone else working with them and they seemed to let the gap grow in favour of keeping numbers. Park Rash looked brutal, 7km/h at one point!
  • Pross
    Who's in the bookwalter group?

It's a big group and contains Doull, Christian, Pidcock, Chavanel, Cras, Ligthart and Scott Davies
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Pross wrote:
    I'm amazed Astana allowed such a big group to go that's filled with riders within a minute on GC. I can't see anyone else working with them and they seemed to let the gap grow in favour of keeping numbers. Park Rash looked brutal, 7km/h at one point!

Yeah, Park Rash has sort of been removed from my tentative list of things I really ought to get round to doing at some point after seeing that. The GB rider who was stopping with every pedal stroke was perhaps the one that sealed the deal - I know what it feels like to fall over whilst still clipped in, and don't see why I'd want to winch myself halfway up a cliff to repeat the experience.