2018: Tour de Yorkshire (2.1) May3rd-6th. *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
edited December 2018 in Pro race
Might as well get this one started, since ITV 4 have wall-to-wall live coverage of both the men's and women's races, starting breakfast time, tomorrow.

Stage one:-
tour-de-yorkshire-2018-stage-1-profile-5819157996.png
tour-de-yorkshire-2018-stage-1-map-a9afec3dc8.jpg

Stage two:-
tour-de-yorkshire-2018-stage-2-profile-4f68226e86.jpeg
tour-de-yorkshire-2018-stage-2-map-7ef5c3627c.jpg

Stage three:-
tour-de-yorkshire-2018-stage-3-profile-207dab2a6d.jpeg
tour-de-yorkshire-2018-stage-3-map-70317fc0b1.jpg

Stage four:-
tour-de-yorkshire-2018-stage-4-profile-51739cb02c.jpeg
tour-de-yorkshire-2018-stage-4-map-9820b65666.jpg

The women's course.

Stage one:-
tdy18_profile_s1_women.png

Stage two:-
tdy18_profile_s2_men.png
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    You can literally see my tiny little village on the map (Glusburn, stage 4), the race comes within a mile or so every year and yet I'll be missing it again, always busy on this weekend it seems!

Looking forward to a cracking race though, some serious climbing to be done and proper grippy roads, not pleasant to race on
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    ShutupJens wrote:
    You can literally see my tiny little village on the map (Glusburn, stage 4), the race comes within a mile or so every year and yet I'll be missing it again, always busy on this weekend it seems!

Looking forward to a cracking race though, some serious climbing to be done and proper grippy roads, not pleasant to race on

I know the road well, many years of riding the Keighley club run up to Gragrave. Looking forward to the Cow and Calf finish.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Shame I'll be cycling on Barra and/or Uist on Sunday, or I'd go up to Hebden Bridge.

Also a shame they aren't going over Cragg Vale, interested to see just how much faster they do it than me :lol:
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    My brother-in-law's family live in Hornsea, and my brother-in-law (and by association my sister) live in Leeds. Parents are in Sheffield too, but it's only gooing to Barnsley and Stocksbridge this year.

Oh, and I'm working. All weekend. Hrumph
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,313
    The award for the most Yorkshire sounding names...
    1. Alfred Wright (b.1864)
    2. Thomas Pidcock (b.1867)
    3. Jake Womersley (b.1863)
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    What about Gerty Berwick. She is immortalised in stone at the bottom of the Cow, she might not be riding this year though.
  • specialgueststar
    specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
    OCDuPalais wrote:

and those that dont

Perrig QUEMENEUR
    Jonas VAN GENECHTEN
    Robbert DE GREEF
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    So this looks like a sprint fest aprt from stage 4 perhaps which looks good for a breakaway.

Edit just saw the end of stage 2. Uphill sprint :lol: Ouch
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Stage 4 is brutal. Some really savage steep bits in there.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    inseine wrote:
    ShutupJens wrote:

I know the road well, many years of riding the Keighley club run up to Gragrave. Looking forward to the Cow and Calf finish.

You were a bronte wheeler weren't you? I remember it coming up a while ago. Probably in a TdY thread

Stage 4 will be a great watch, up and down the cassette all day, will be really tough
  • inseine
    ShutupJens wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    ShutupJens wrote:

You were a bronte wheeler weren't you? I remember it coming up a while ago. Probably in a TdY thread

I was. Happy days!
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    this event is growing on me.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    insane cone road furniture on final roundabout!
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • gregster04
    gregster04 Posts: 1,753
    Almost a decisive intervention from the traffic cones in the women’s race there. Might want to sort them out before the men get to Doncaster later on.
  • mididoctors
    gregster04 wrote:
    Almost a decisive intervention from the traffic cones in the women’s race there. Might want to sort them out before the men get to Doncaster later on.

lucky they didn't stack there..though it always looks worse from above/behind
  • mididoctors
    I like the unpatronising presentation itv4 do for women racing. feels positive.
  • inseine
    Beautiful day in Yorkshire as Kirsten Wild wins first stage (again)
    little-weighton.jpg
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    I like the unpatronising presentation itv4 do for women racing. feels positive.

I agree, although I couldn't pay too much attention as I'm at work. Lizzie Deignan added some useful insight about things like judging sprints etc, at least from the bits I heard.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    this event is growing on me.
    As it is me... odd feeling !
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,643
    Home office f*cks up again and denies 2 Kazak Astana riders visas.
  • mididoctors
    yeah they didn't play up the race..it was a bit of a foregone snoozefest in many regards and said as much.
  • mididoctors
    really?
  • rick_chasey
    Aye.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    OCDuPalais wrote:

4. Cyril Heppleston (b. 1912)

Not quite peak Yorkshire but we're getting there
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    OCDuPalais wrote:

4. Cyril Heppleston (b. 1912)

Not quite peak Yorkshire but we're getting there
    For the women there is Emily Wadsworth leading the way
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Denies? Really? Are we sure Astana didn't mess this up, possibly by thinking UK is in Schengen?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    S'what Ned said on commentary. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Meanwhile, I return at 4pm and there's still 93km to go.

Sloooooooooooooooooooow
  • mididoctors
    tougher going than expected they are working into a head wind i think?
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,666
    Nice to see they've fixed some of the pot-holes for them. Roads still look rough as f#ck though from viewing the moto footage. They'll need to be running 32's on their rims in a year or two.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    ShutupJens wrote:

Well we lived in Crosshills when I was tiny, and I was christened in Silsden parish church, but then grew up near Ferrybridge. Spent a lot of time cycling up and down Wharfedale though, and still have a lot of relatives up there, so I feel all nostalgic when I see it on the telly. I'm stuck in East Anglia.

Sister and brother-in-law are moaning about the road closures when it goes through Pontefract, the miserable sods.