2018: Tour de Yorkshire (2.1) May3rd-6th. *Spoilers*

Comments

• RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Great to see so many fans out to cheer on the riders in the women's race over the past couple of days. Good commitment from ITV4 to go for 100% coverage as well.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Men's race has started. Riders being shed off the back already due to the pace at the front as potential breaks form and are shut down.
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    Big crash on the left hand bend, into a stone wall, about 6/7 riders down
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Group of six out front including Stannard and Swift, couple of people trying to bridge across. Looks like this break might stick, but still marginal - it's been pretty fast and brutal so far.
  • RonB
    Swift gets the intermediate sprint and bonifications.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    The break has finally been shut down after a 30km chase. A Cofidis (remember them?) rider immediately pops off the front to annoy everyone else...
  • RonB
    Looking more like a one day classic, this stage. I can imagine that there will be a mad race to get into Ilkley before the start of that final climb, so that teams' favoured riders get into a good position for the finish, LBL stylee.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    It's weird watching.
    It's as if the Giro crowds have turned up in Yorkshire and the 2.1 crowd went to Israel.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RonB
    Whoops. Lead group took a wrong turn!
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    RonB wrote:

could have been nasty
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    RonB wrote:

could have been nasty

Having seen the women's race get caught out there, I'm amazed anyone was allowed to park there later on.
  • blazing_saddles
    The marshals woke up between the break and the bunch.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    The marshals woke up between the break and the bunch.

Will teams have access to tv in a race like this? Presume at least some were on the radio.
  • blazing_saddles
    Seems the Astana afterburners are still functioning.
    Cort Nielsen rockets past GVA to take the stage with Prades 3rd.
    Current champ, Serge Pauwels blew, 100 metres from home.
    So, sprinter, puncher, climber podium......on a HTF.
  • mididoctors
    this race deserves credit. that victory was celebrated as thou it was at a gt.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    this race deserves credit. that victory was celebrated as thou it was at a gt.

It deserves a better startlist.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    This race has it all. Tough enough to be selective but the climbs aren't long enough for someone to just bugger off - can't get round without solid tactical knowledge and the legs for some seriously hard days out.

And it seems like everyone turns up to race, whether that's the domestic pros or the Olympic champs

Oh yeah and big guns over here picked the winner twice in a row
  • mididoctors
    ShutupJens wrote:
    This race has it all. Tough enough to be selective but the climbs aren't long enough for someone to just bugger off - can't get round without solid tactical knowledge and the legs for some seriously hard days out.

And it seems like everyone turns up to race, whether that's the domestic pros or the Olympic champs

Oh yeah and big guns over here picked the winner twice in a row

well done
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    I only just caught up on the highlight show from yesterday as i was out from 8:30 to 19:30 watching the race.

Great finish :D

We saw the Women flash through Thorner. where there was a reasonable turn out to watch (apart from my club of course), and a cracking little cafe for refreshments

31934386_10156342094408582_7158349862562430976_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=150c119b892e7c9d8a0af63384fa05ac&oe=5B556BAA

Then off for a nice pub lunch with a big TV to watch the end of the Women's race. And on to Cote de Old Pool Bank for the men. Now I am far from a climber at 6'2 and 87kg, but that is a brutal little climb. several short steep ramps that had me standing and gurning my way up them!

We got there good and early and grabbed a spot just at the top of the climb and settled in for a few hours, enjoying the atmosphere and cheering random spectators as they either struggled or flew up the hill.

31531509_10211750420062960_1306561834928570368_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=fc65353fabced5759f0273c22efaa989&oe=5B5D7B78

The crowd grew to a huge size by the time the race came through and the marshalls and police did a fantastic job of keeping everyone well back from the riders without being too heavy handed

A fantastic day out in lovely weather and great scenery.

[edit] Someone just posted a pic of me with the flag so adding that in :D

31946478_10156342371118582_502121830551650304_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=6409b82beb382f137387c35434ee338b&oe=5B9C20B1
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    That finish yesterday reminded me of Fleche Wallone. Very good racing
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    It's back on form this year, from memory last year was a bit disappointing. My only issue is the length at 4 days is a bit odd, I'd love to see an annual 1 day WT level race in the area. Really looking forward to tomorrow's stage and next year's Worlds.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    Laaaaarvley weather here in yorkshire.
  • mididoctors
    crowds!
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    One of our chaingang in the break
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810

Lars Bak? X
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031

Lars Bak? X

Yeah he flies in every Tuesday for the steady group
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    DccOJNfW4AA-tH8?format=jpg&name=large
  • mididoctors
    kicking off
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Dav1d1 wrote:
    DccOJNfW4AA-tH8?format=jpg&name=large

If Carlsberg did crowds!
  • mididoctors
    cav needs more miles in his legs for this sort of racing.