Merlin Cycles Charged Me for Cancelled Orders!

bungle73
bungle73 Posts: 758
edited January 2019 in Road general
Placed a couple of orders the other day with Merlin. Shortly after I decided to cancel both orders and consolidate them into one order. Just checked my CC account online, and I find that I've been charged for all three orders! :x

Apparently they go home at 4:30 (why when most places finish at 5 or 5:30?), and won't be back until Monday!

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Placed a couple of orders the other day with Merlin. Shortly after I decided to cancel both orders and consolidate them into one order. Just checked my CC account online, and I find that I've been charged for all three orders! :x

Apparently they go home at 4:30 (why when most places finish at 5 or 5:30?), and won't be back until Monday!

Merlin are a great bike shop. Drop them an email and i'm sure they will sort things asap.

Fwiw always check your card balance when you cancel an order as it is not uncommon for the amount to be taken and refunded the next day or two.
  • Always has brilliant service from Merlin. Bitching on here without even giving them a chance to respond to you makes you look bad not them.
  • bungle73
    redvision wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:

Merlin are a great bike shop. Drop them an email and i'm sure they will sort things asap.

Fwiw always check your card balance when you cancel an order as it is not uncommon for the amount to be taken and refunded the next day or two.
    Not sure what you mean check my balance?
  • bungle73
    Brakeless wrote:
    Always has brilliant service from Merlin. Bitching on here without even giving them a chance to respond to you makes you look bad not them.
    Make me look bad? Don't talk bollox. They shouldn't have taken the money full stop.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Merlin are excellent - the best out there. In fact, have just ordered a load of stuff from them for the third time this week.

I’d give them a tinkle before heading off on a “be warned” style thread.

Merlin rock.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Bungle73 wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:
    Always has brilliant service from Merlin. Bitching on here without even giving them a chance to respond to you makes you look bad not them.
    Make me look bad? Don't talk bollox. They shouldn't have taken the money full stop.

You've placed 3 orders. The card issuer confirms the payments. It may take longer for the refunds to show, they may have already been provided by Merlin but have yet to have been fully processed by your card company. There's only one person talking bollox here.
  • bungle73
    Brakeless wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:

You've placed 3 orders. The card issuer confirms the payments. It may take longer for the refunds to show, they may have already been provided by Merlin but have yet to have been fully processed by your card company. There's only one person talking bollox here.

Except that's not how it works. How it works is this: when an order is placed a pre-authorisation charge is applied to the account which reserves the funds, but the money is not actually taken from the account. The money is only taken when the retailer decides to proceed with the transaction, and in most cases the debit of the money is done during the dispatch process.

So you were saying.........
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:
    You are at fault here not the retailer. If you are so disorganised it’s hardly their fault. When you place an order the money is allocated so they know the payment is good and they can proceed with the order. You are the one wasting their time because you didn’t think about what you wanted before ordering. Talk to them in a civilised fashion on Monday and it will all be sorted, bad mouthing a company on a public forum because you are too disorganised is bad form and yes it does make you look bad.
  • Bungle73 wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:

Except that's not how it works. How it works is this: when an order is placed a pre-authorisation charge is applied to the account which reserves the funds, but the money is not actually taken from the account. The money is only taken when the retailer decides to proceed with the transaction, and in most cases the debit of the money is done during the dispatch process.

Rubbish. I run an internet business. Once I receive notification I have a customers money there is no further information about supply or shipping given back to the payment provider.They give me the money. I can issue a refund but I have the money, the card company does not know whether goods have been shipped or not. You gave Merlin the money, they didn't take it from you. This is how Sagepay, Worldpay, and most other payment providers work.
  • bungle73
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:
    You are at fault here not the retailer. If you are so disorganised it’s hardly their fault. When you place an order the money is allocated so they know the payment is good and they can proceed with the order. You are the one wasting their time because you didn’t think about what you wanted before ordering. Talk to them in a civilised fashion on Monday and it will all be sorted, bad mouthing a company on a public forum because you are too disorganised is bad form and yes it does make you look bad.
    Don't talk rubbish. A retailer made an unauthorised debit from my account. It's as simple as that. Please refrain from making stupid excuses.
  • Bungle73 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:
    Don't talk rubbish. A retailer made an unauthorised debit from my account. It's as simple as that. Please refrain from making stupid excuses.

You authorised it - 3 times.
  • bungle73
    edited February 2018
    Brakeless wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:

Rubbish. I run an internet business. Once I receive notification I have a customers money there is no further information about supply or shipping given back to the payment provider.They give me the money. I can issue a refund but I have the money, the card company does not know whether goods have been shipped or not. You gave Merlin the money, they didn't take it from you. This is how Sagepay, Worldpay, and most other payment providers work.

Do you think I just got off the banana boat? How I described is EXACTLY how it works. So don't give me your load of old twaddle. Maybe that's what you want your "customers" to think, but you and I both know that is not how works.

And we're not talking about Worldpay or any other pay. We are talking about credit card transaction which operates exactly the way I said it does.
  • bungle73
    Brakeless wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:

And I cancelled two of them so the money should not have been taken.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    edited February 2018
    No idea about the rights and wrongs of payment systems, but agree with the others that Merlin are very good indeed. My first choice (by a long way) internet store. You can even phone them and talk to a human. Friendly, helpful, good prices, what’s not to like.
    To come on a forum anD start shouting without giving Merlin a chance to unscramble your cock up is very bad form.
  • bungle73
    proto wrote:
    No idea about the rights and wrongs of payment systems, bu5 agree with th3 others that Merlin are very good indeed. My first choice (by a long way) internet store. You can even phone them and talk to a human. Friendly, helpful, good prices, what’s not to like.
    I've already emailed them, but as I said, no one is there until Monday.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    So wait until Monday before shooting your mouth off. They are entitled to go home early on a Friday. My company finishes at 13:30 on Fridays.
  • You are wrong. Using capitals doesn't make you right. You authorise the payment, a retailer doesn't provide any information back to the payment provider to say whether goods are shipped or not. All internet transactions are processed by companies such as sage pay and worldpay.
  • bungle73
    proto wrote:
    So wait until Monday before shooting your mouth off. They are entitled to go home early on a Friday. My company finishes at 13:30 on Fridays.

Entitled? Er in the real world most people work exactly the same hours on a Friday as they do on every other day. In any case their hours are the same on every day, so the point is moot.
  • Bungle73 wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:

Nope - Too late, you authorised your card company to give Merlin money which is what they did.You'll have to wait for a refund which Merlin will give you as they are an excellent company
  • bungle73
    Brakeless wrote:
    You are wrong. Using capitals doesn't make you right. You authorise the payment, a retailer doesn't provide any information back to the payment provider to say whether goods are shipped or not. All internet transactions are processed by companies such as sage pay and worldpay.

I'm not sure why you're lying to me? Is this some kind of troll?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authorization_hold

https://securionpay.com/blog/credit-car ... orization/
  • bungle73
    Brakeless wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:

Nope - Too late, you authorised your card company to give Merlin money which is what they did.You'll have to wait for a refund which Merlin will give you as they are an excellent company

Er it's not "too late" when I cancelled the orders the evening before they were going to be processed.
  • You have completely misunderstood how it works. The payment is authorized by the bank to the retailer, this then allows the retailer to ship goods immediately if possible despite them knowing they won't actually get the money from the bank for a few days. If the retailer issues a refund to cancel the transaction it is a seperate transaction to the payment and may even be part of a seperate settlement batch from the bank and will show up as a seperate transaction on your account. The authorization hold is there to allow retailers to be paid in batches of transactions rather than hundreds of individual sales going into a bank account everyday. You authorize the payment to be given, the retailer doesn't ask to be given it in any way.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Like name, like nature.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bungle73
    Brakeless wrote:
    You have completely misunderstood how it works. The payment is authorized by the bank to the retailer, this then allows the retailer to ship goods immediately if possible despite them knowing they won't actually get the money from the bank for a few days. If the retailer issues a refund to cancel the transaction it is a seperate transaction to the payment and may even be part of a seperate settlement batch from the bank and will show up as a seperate transaction on your account. The authorization hold is there to allow retailers to be paid in batches of transactions rather than hundreds of individual sales going into a bank account everyday. You authorize the payment to be given, the retailer doesn't ask to be given it in any way.

I'm afraid that you're the one who doesn't understand how it works (despite claiming to run an "internet business")
    Authorization hold (also card authorization, preauthorization, or preauth) is the practice within the banking industry of verifying electronic transactions initiated with a debit card or credit card and holding this balance as unavailable until either the merchant clears the transaction, also called settlement, or the hold "falls off." In the case of debit cards, authorization holds can fall off the account, thus rendering the balance available again, anywhere from one to eight business days after the transaction date depending on the bank's policy. In the case of credit cards, holds may last as long as thirty days, depending on the issuing bank.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authorization_hold
    Yet, the merchant must obtain the funds within a week; otherwise the money will be released back to the credit card by the issuing bank.
    https://securionpay.com/blog/credit-car ... orization/

The ONLY reason a debit would appear as a completed transaction is because the retailer has cleared it. I've made and cancelled enough online orders over the years to know exactly how it works.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Brakeless wrote:

Agreed.
  • If you're going to copy and paste you missed this

Voided transactions
    Only banks have the ability to remove preauthorizations from the card holder's card. Thus, a merchant may void a transaction, but the hold will remain on the account.[2]

Rarely, banks will remove authorization holds with a verbal (or, for larger amounts, written) request from the authorizing merchant. Such requests usually require information such as the cardholder's name, card number, authorization number and transaction amount. Since most banks cannot verify that the letter from the merchant is someone who has authority to ensure that the charge will not settle, they require the hold to remain according to their bank policies.

Preauthorizations aren't cancelled, refunds are given. Seperate thing.
  • bungle73
    Brakeless wrote:
    If you're going to copy and paste you missed this

Voided transactions
    Only banks have the ability to remove preauthorizations from the card holder's card. Thus, a merchant may void a transaction, but the hold will remain on the account.[2]

Rarely, banks will remove authorization holds with a verbal (or, for larger amounts, written) request from the authorizing merchant. Such requests usually require information such as the cardholder's name, card number, authorization number and transaction amount. Since most banks cannot verify that the letter from the merchant is someone who has authority to ensure that the charge will not settle, they require the hold to remain according to their bank policies.

Do you actually understand the difference between a pre-authorisation hold, and the money actually being taken from the account and appearing on a statement? You don't do you............
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329
    Bungle73 wrote:
    I've made and cancelled enough online orders over the years to know exactly how it works.
    You really are a complete waster aren’t you. People like you are why I don’t do retail and only deal with trade now. Companies really don’t need customers like you.
  • Bungle73 wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:
    If you're going to copy and paste you missed this

Voided transactions

Do you actually understand the difference between a pre-authorisation hold, and the money actually being taken from the account and appearing on a statement? You don't do you............

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: You really are a moron. I'm out.
  • bungle73
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:
    I've made and cancelled enough online orders over the years to know exactly how it works.
    You really are a complete waster aren’t you. People like you are why I don’t do retail and only deal with trade now. Companies really don’t need customers like you.
    Who the hell do you think you are?

I've done NOTHING wrong, so kindly get the f off your high horse.