S*** small race thread 2018

Comments

• DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    Stage 3 of the Vuelta a Burgos is worth a look if you have the time. Fast forward to about 4.2km to go to get to just before the action starts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF-gcArANXY

Some sterling work by Tao Geoghegan Hart on behalf of de la Cruz yet still managed to only lose 8 seconds to his teammate.

Ivan Sosa is a proper climber. Trek-Segafredo have got a real talent if the rumours are true.

I'm not a Miguel Angel López fan but, fair play, he rode aggressively and probably deserved the win. Some of those gradients must be proper steep. They looked as though they were barely moving at times.

Stage 3 Result:

Rnk Rider Team UCI Pnt Time
    1 Lopez Miguel Angel Astana Pro Team 20 30 3:59:30
    2 Sosa Ivan Ramiro Androni Giocattoli - Sidermec 10 18 ,,
    3 de la Cruz David Team Sky 5 12 0:32
    4 Kudus Merhawi Team Dimension Data 7 ,,
    5 Anton Igor Team Dimension Data 4 ,,
    6 Geoghegan Hart Tao Team Sky 3 0:52

General Classification

Rnk Prev ▼▲ Rider Team UCI Time
    1 12 ▲11 Lopez Miguel Angel Astana Pro Team 5 11:38:14
    2 31 ▲29 Sosa Ivan Ramiro Androni Giocattoli - Sidermec 0:02
    3 9 ▲6 Kudus Merhawi Team Dimension Data 0:27
    4 16 ▲12 de la Cruz David Team Sky 0:34
    5 21 ▲16 Anton Igor Team Dimension Data ,,
    6 2 ▼4 Geoghegan Hart Tao Team Sky 0:42
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Stage 3 of the Vuelta a Burgos is worth a look if you have the time. Fast forward to about 4.2km to go to get to just before the action starts.

Cheers for the link, the stage report sounded like it was worth a watch but hadn't bothered trying to find it myself!
  • DeadCalm
    adr82 wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:

Cheers for the link, the stage report sounded like it was worth a watch but hadn't bothered trying to find it myself!
    No worries.

Watched a little bit of the stage live today on the official stream. Had to go out and do stuff so didn't catch the finish but GC remains unchanged. The quality of the stream was pretty good. Final stage tomorrow has a mountain top finish. Hopefully, it'll be worth checking out live.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    My man Kwiatkowski keeps his stellar 1 week palmares of 2018 going by winning the Tour de Pologne.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    M.R.M. wrote:
    My man Kwiatkowski keeps his stellar 1 week palmares of 2018 going by winning the Tour de Pologne.
    He's not winning races, he's completing challenges to win weaponry, like some sort of real life World of Warcraft

KWIATKOWSKI-Michal:-Tirreno-Adriatico-2018---Stage-7.jpgxxl.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    Hat! :lol:
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • DeadCalm
    The finish of stage 4 of the Vuelta a Burgos can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXKnOC5L9K8

Unless you are a fan of watching the final flailing of the break, I'd suggest starting at 9 minutes. It's not the bog standard sprint stage I was expecting, with a fair drag up to the finish. Interesting that Sky seemed to be riding for a TGH stage win.

Rnk Rider Team UCI Pnt Time
    1 Barbero Carlos Movistar Team 20 30 3:55:44
    2 Tizza Marco Nippo - Vini Fantini - Europa Ovini 10 18 ,,
    3 Bagioli Nicola Nippo - Vini Fantini - Europa Ovini 5 12 ,,
    4 Geoghegan Hart Tao Team Sky 7 ,,
    5 Kudus Merhawi Team Dimension Data 4 ,,
    6 Lastra Jonathan Caja Rural - Seguros RGA 3 ,,
    7 Lopez Miguel Angel Astana Pro Team 2 ,,
    8 de la Cruz David Team Sky 1 ,,
    9 Aranburu Alex Caja Rural - Seguros RGA ,,

A lot of riders were delayed by a crash in the finale and virtually everyone got given the same time as the winner. GC top 10 remains unchanged.
  • M.R.M. wrote:

He is an incredible rider.
    According to Tony Gibb on Eurosport ( 2 days in a row) he was even leading the race last year, before Dylan Teuns wrestled the jersey from his shoulders.
    Yet still found time to sit in the box and do guest commentary on his performance for TVP, while the racing was on.
    Apparently Wout Poels was on holiday that week......................in Poland. :roll:

One down, three races left.
    Burgos (2pm)
    http://www.vueltaburgos.com/es/
    Portugal (3-30pm)
    https://www.rtp.pt/play/direto/rtpinternacional

and Utah (9pm Eurosport) all have MTFs today.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    RichN95 wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:
    He's not winning races, he's completing challenges to win weaponry, like some sort of real life World of Warcraft

KWIATKOWSKI-Michal:-Tirreno-Adriatico-2018---Stage-7.jpgxxl.jpg

He's really, really upset he didn't win the Polish ITT.

DgTiqQTX4AAA9H1.jpg

Oh and Bodnar challenged him to a duel back then.
    Maciej Bodnar
    ‏Verified account @maciejbodnar
    Replying to @kwiato @TeamSky

@kwiato, I challenge you to a duel! I take the sword and you bring your trident from the Tirreno-Adriatico!!!
    9:46 PM - 22 Jun 2018
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • DeadCalm
    Sosa wins Vuelta a Burgos in impressive fashion. He's a talented kid.
  • A nice tactical battle.
    An isolated Lopez forced onto the front to chase Anton and de la Cruz.
    He drops everybody bar Sosa who then lit the afterburners.

Portugal currently climbing the second of three-first cat climbs...
  • DeadCalm
    A nice tactical battle.
    An isolated Lopez forced onto the front to chase Anton and de la Cruz.
    He drops everybody bar Sosa who then lit the afterburners.
    Indeed. After Lopez's performance in the Giro, I quite enjoyed seeing him experience the shoe on the other foot.

Sosa is cool customer. And it is a good job I'm not his DS. I was shouting for him to go when Pardillla attacked off the front group and even more so when de la Cruz attacked. It's a shame he apparently doesn't have a decent TT. He can certainly climb.

Sky with an impressive four in the top ten. I thought de la Cruz did more than enough to warrant team leader status for the Vuelta but wonder if Tao did enough to justify the Geraint plan B role?

Disappointed Merhawi Kudus slipped so far off the podium. Dimension Data got three in the top 10 but I'm not entirely sure I understood their tactics.

Video is here for those who didn't manage to catch it live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKZZgPpoxuc

Top 10 on GC:

Rnk Prev ▼▲ Rider Team UCI Pnt Time
    1 2 ▲1 Sosa Ivan Ramiro Androni Giocattoli - Sidermec 200 150 19:00:37
    2 1 ▼1 Lopez Miguel Angel Astana Pro Team 150 110 0:17
    3 4 ▲1 de la Cruz David Team Sky 125 90 0:53
    4 5 ▲1 Anton Igor Team Dimension Data 100 80 1:04
    5 6 ▲1 Geoghegan Hart Tao Team Sky 85 70 1:25
    6 8 ▲2 Pardilla Sergio Caja Rural - Seguros RGA 70 60 1:27
    7 3 ▼4 Kudus Merhawi Team Dimension Data 60 55 1:41
    8 11 ▲3 Henao Sebastián Team Sky 50 50 2:23
    9 9 - Meintjes Louis Team Dimension Data 40 45 2:33
    10 20 ▲10 Elissonde Kenny Team Sky 35 40 2:34
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    Tour of Utah

Sepp Kuss (Lotto Jumbo), current leader, putting in an impressive ride in today's stage 5. He almost seems to be enjoying it from the smile on his face. Lots of 'Incroyable' from the French commentators on L'Equipe.

Finally takes the stage by 38s from Ben Hermans.
  • hommelbier wrote:
    Tour of Utah

Sepp Kuss (Lotto Jumbo), current leader, putting in an impressive ride in today's stage 5. He almost seems to be enjoying it from the smile on his face. Lots of 'Incroyable' from the French commentators on L'Equipe.

That ride was bonkers.
    Thank goodness he rides for Lotto Jumbo, not Sky.
    TJVG lasted about 3 seconds on his wheel.
    Massive time gaps.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    hommelbier wrote:
    Tour of Utah

The official highlights weren't up to much, more of the broadcast here for anyone who needs it (Kirby warning!)
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    The tour of Utah is definitely at home in this thread but what am awesome place to ride.
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    My Man Sepp bringing it home!
  • adr82 wrote:
    hommelbier wrote:
    Tour of Utah

The official highlights weren't up to much, more of the broadcast here for anyone who needs it (Kirby warning!)

I can't believe that the gibberish he is currently spouting is considered to qualify as commentary, by Eurosport.
    Second race in a day that he's spoiled.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Another stage win for Kuss on the final day, from Brent Bookwalter & Jack Haig, which means he won the GC by over 2 mins.

DkbiNuCW4AEQ5FV.jpg:large

I know he's likely to ride in support of Steven Kruijswijk in the Vuelta, but one to watch!
  • RonB
    The Steephill link for live coverage of today's BinckBank stage is currently showing "Dagcarrousel". Very enlightening :D
  • hommelbier
    Very wet conditions for today's flat stage in the Binck Bank.
    Bunch sprint sees Fabio Jacobsen (Quick Step) just hold on to beat Marcel Kittel with Caleb Ewan fading back into third.
    One Katusha (Kuznetsov?) rider down in crash in the final meters - doesn't look too good.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    QST's consistency with a range of riders is astonishing. Kittel can't be happy...
  • RonB
    From his team's Twitter

UPDATE and sad news from @v_kuznetsov89: he won't start tomorrow in stage 2 #BinckBankTour. Final diagnosis: fractured sternum, concussion of the brain and bruised kidney. Get well soon, Slava!
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    dish_dash wrote:
    QST's consistency with a range of riders is astonishing. Kittel can't be happy...
    Doubt he is ever, rumours are he's a bit (read a lot) petulant. bit like Bouhanni. blames others for his own misgivings.
  • hommelbier
    BinckBank Tour Stage 2 - time trial
    Current leader, with 10 more to finish, is Stefan Kung (BMC), with Victor Campanaerts at 14s and S K Andersen at 15s
  • Interesting fact:
    This race is Tom Dumoulin's only other senior GC win, but he won it last year, after he'd won the Giro.
  • hommelbier
    BinckBank Stage 2

None of the final 10 troubled the leaders so Stefan Küng takes the win ahead of Campanaerts and Andersen.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    philbar72 wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    Doubt he is ever, rumours are he's a bit (read a lot) petulant. bit like Bouhanni. blames others for his own misgivings.

From the snippets that I've seen on Twitter I'd tend to agree, the infamous bike throw was indicitive of that I felt
  • hommelbier
    Today in the BinckBank

For once the break made it to the finish. Van Der Hoorn escaped in the run in to hold on and win, while De Bie and Mohoric watched each other hoping to pick up the most bonifications.

1 Taco Van Der Hoorn (Roompot)
    2 Max Vantomme (WB Aqua Protect) - st
    3 Sean de Bie (Verandas Willem Crellan) - st
    4 Matej Mohoric (Bahrain Merida) - st
    with the peleton at 1min 11s behind

GC
    1 Matej Mohoric (Bahrain Merida)
    2 Sean de Bie (Verandas Willem Crellan) at 1s
    3 Stefan Küng at 25s

Now back to the Tour de Limousin
  • hommelbier
    Tour de Limousin
    Antony Perez, Perrig Quemeneur and Angel Ruiz in break at 45s with 15km left. Vital Concept leading peleton - setting it up for Bryan Coquard?