Comments

• hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    Quatre Jours de Dunkerque stage 2

Nice to see André Greipel back to winning

1 André Greipel LTS
    2 Timothy Dupont WGG
    3 Bryan Coquard VCC

Yesterday's winner Marc Sarreau in fifth while Nacer Bouhanni faded quickly in the final sprint.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,702
    Bouhanni absolutely stranded on the front way too early.
    A lot of shoulders and almost a brush with the barriers, right at the end.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Bouhanni out there earning his Tour spot and not doing a good job

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bouhann ... ance-spot/
  • specialgueststar
    specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
    Bouhanni out there earning his Tour spot and not doing a good job

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bouhann ... ance-spot/

And Coquard trying to show why he should be in Good racing as a continuation of Yorkshire. With one restday/transfer
  • hommelbier
    edited May 2018
    Quatre Jours de Dunkerque Stage 3 - another sprint stage
    If at first...
    Well set up by Geoffrey Soupe, Bouhanni gets a win at last.

1 Nacer Bouhanni COF
    2 Timothy Dupont WGG

GC
    1 Timothy Dupont WGG
    2 Bryan Coquard VCC
    3 Marc Sarreau GFC
  • hommelbier
    Quatre Jours de Dunkerque - Stage 4

Bryan Coquard gets his win at last and moves into the GC lead

1 Bryan Coquard VCC
    2 Jasper de Buyst LTS
    3 Wouter Wippert RNL

GC
    1 Bryan Coquard VCC
    2 Timothy Dupont WGG @ 10s
    3 Marc Sarreau GFC @12s
    4 Nacer Bouhanni COF @ 12s

Perhaps tomorrow's finish in Cassel will shake things up a bit
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier wrote:
    Quatre Jours de Dunkerque - Stage 4

Perhaps tomorrow's finish in Cassel will shake things up a bit

Great ride by André Greipel to take today's stage into Cassel

1 André Greipel LTS
    2 Dmitri Claeys COF @ 6s
    3 Oscar Riesebeek RNL @ 6s

GC
    1 Claeys
    2 Riesebeek @ 2s
    3 Greipel @ 4s
    4 Alexis Gougeard ALM @ 19s
    5 Valentin Madouas GFS @ 50s
  • hommelbier
    ...meanwhile back in French Flanders - 4 days of Dunkerque, sixth and final day
    Not the expected mass sprint, a small breakaway contested the final sprint just ahead of the main peleton

1 Olivier le Gac GFC
    2 Casper Pedersen ABS
    3 Xandro Meurisse WGG

Not much change in the GC
    1 Dimitri Claeys COF
    2 André Greipel @ 1s
    3 Oscar Riesebeek RNL @ 2s
    4 Alexis Gougeard ALM @ 12s
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Alex Richardson, the guy who turned pro a year after his first race, wins the Lincoln GP as a private member a couple of weeks after being let go by One Pro Cycling. Sounds like there must be an interesting story behind that, anyone know what it is?
  • specialgueststar
    specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
    thegibdog wrote:
    Alex Richardson, the guy who turned pro a year after his first race, wins the Lincoln GP as a private member a couple of weeks after being let go by One Pro Cycling. Sounds like there must be an interesting story behind that, anyone know what it is?

we can make one up....?
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    A tale of espionage where fear and suspense turn to lust and lust to madness...!
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • davieb78
    davieb78 Posts: 99
    An update on the Alexandar Richardson story:

https://twitter.com/alexandarricha2/sta ... 41056?s=21
  • Is this where the Tour of California goes? Egan Bernal looked absolutely awesome tonight and Ian Boswell did an incredible ride to set him up. They need to give Bernal a shot at the TDF
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • m.r.m.
    He is the future. Much more than any current contender to Froome's diminishing throne.

GT's also seem to be heading away from super long ITT's due to them being so un-telegenic. So, future GC contenders will be climbers first and time trialists second, putting riders like Dumoulin and Rohan Dennis etc. at a disadvantage compared to the past.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,448
    Is this where the Tour of California goes? Egan Bernal looked absolutely awesome tonight and Ian Boswell did an incredible ride to set him up. They need to give Bernal a shot at the TDF

Boswell rides for Katusha. You're mixing up your redheads, that was Tao Geoghegan-Hart.
  • topper_harley
    topper_harley Posts: 597
    andyp wrote:
    Is this where the Tour of California goes? Egan Bernal looked absolutely awesome tonight and Ian Boswell did an incredible ride to set him up. They need to give Bernal a shot at the TDF

Boswell rides for Katusha. You're mixing up your redheads, that was Tao Geoghegan-Hart.
    every time I've watched him race he's been amazing
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Other Yates in third too. Tao wasn't far behind concidering all the work he did.
    Bernal, what is there to say? The future
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    bit miffed the tour tracker video streaming doesn't work in the uk this year.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    edited May 2018
    M.R.M. wrote:
    He is the future. Much more than any current contender to Froome's diminishing throne.

GT's also seem to be heading away from super long ITT's due to them being so un-telegenic. So, future GC contenders will be climbers first and time trialists second, putting riders like Dumoulin and Rohan Dennis etc. at a disadvantage compared to the past.

i think race organisers are (should be) trying to find the formula of balance of tt kms vs Meters climbed. TD winning the giro still looks doable. but yes there does appear to be a shift towards both shrinking tt length and technical nature in GTs
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • andyp wrote:

Oh damn, you’re right. I’m blaming the commentator, who made the same mistake! Anyhow, Hart was incredible!
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771
    Immense work on the front by TGH yesterday - supreme effort and that was fully justified the way Bernal rode away. Classy stuff.

Talking of class - those 'runners' on the ToC - they are in another league huh? :lol:
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    My god that kid is good.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    davieb78 wrote:

Cheers. Can't say that I'm any the wiser though!
  • m.r.m.
    M.R.M. wrote:

i think race organisers are (should be) trying to find the formula of balance of tt kms vs Meters climbed. TD winning the giro still looks doable. but yes there does appear to be a shift towards both shrinking tt length and technical nature in GTs
    It is also sabotaging pure time trialists like Tony Martin or Alex Dowsett. Martin is exiting the sport with a whimper which seems a shame for someone that good at that one thing.
  • mididoctors
    stage 3 ToC bunch bluffed themselves out of the race LOL
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    M.R.M. wrote:

i think a problem with reducing TT miles is that it makes the times closer and therefore makes bold attacking less profitable. Nicking seconds with late attacks or sprints for bonuses are more efficient.

Cycling doesn't seem to be able to deal with the idea that a certain person (who can TT and climb with the best) is just the best rider there. Other sports laud their champions, cycling tries to undermine them at every turn, and it doesn't work.

People need to accept what sport is and that in stage races the best rider who avoids misfortune usually wins.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,702
    bit miffed the tour tracker video streaming doesn't work in the uk this year.

I guess the fact that Eurosport now seem to had ads placed every few minutes is the answer to that.
    Money talks and the sport is fast becoming the monopoly, both in terms of who organises it and who shows it.
    stage 3 ToC bunch bluffed themselves out of the race LOL

Further to what I said above, most of the stage was made almost unwatchable, thanks to Eurosport and the ad free finale wasn't worth watching. I fell alseep when they should have kept me awake.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    My Man Toms Skujiņš returns after last year's crash at the ToC to take the stage 3 win. He's now taken a ToC stage win in 2015, 2016, and 2018!

Nice little finish celebration also...

SKUJINS-Toms302.jpg&q=82
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    thegibdog wrote:
    davieb78 wrote:

Cheers. Can't say that I'm any the wiser though!

The gist of it is that One Pro have some fairly crazy nutritional practices (among other things) that mean that some riders really struggle as a result.