S*** small race thread 2018

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    bit miffed the tour tracker video streaming doesn't work in the uk this year.

I guess the fact that Eurosport now seem to had ads placed every few minutes is the answer to that.
    Money talks and the sport is fast becoming the monopoly, both in terms of who organises it and who shows it.
    stage 3 ToC bunch bluffed themselves out of the race LOL

Further to what I said above, most of the stage was made almost unwatchable, thanks to Eurosport and the ad free finale wasn't worth watching. I fell alseep when they should have kept me awake.

i loved the American tour trackers...the commentary from the US guys, makes one feel part of the "US scene". which has its own history and culture. they should not abandon that aspect.

I prefer the US races when they had more low rent us teams in them. WT status of the race doesn't help the spectacle...what do you think? I prefer the tour of Utah. its amateur vibe works for me. the pro-America challenge Colorado thing is rubbish. the ToC has had some good editions...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,154
    Crampeur wrote:
    thegibdog wrote:
    davieb78 wrote:
    An update on the Alexandar Richardson story:

https://twitter.com/alexandarricha2/sta ... 41056?s=21
    Cheers. Can't say that I'm any the wiser though!

The gist of it is that One Pro have some fairly crazy nutritional practices (among other things) that mean that some riders really struggle as a result.

I didn't get that from the Twitter post, more that Richardson put himself under pressure to lose weight to be better and made himself ill / devoid of energy / stressed in the process. He seems at pains to point out it was his problem and that the team did everything they could to help him :?
  • davieb78
    davieb78 Posts: 99
    Pross wrote:
    Crampeur wrote:
    thegibdog wrote:
    davieb78 wrote:

The gist of it is that One Pro have some fairly crazy nutritional practices (among other things) that mean that some riders really struggle as a result.

I didn't get that from the Twitter post, more that Richardson put himself under pressure to lose weight to be better and made himself ill / devoid of energy / stressed in the process. He seems at pains to point out it was his problem and that the team did everything they could to help him :?

Yeah, that was how I read it too.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    davieb78 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Crampeur wrote:
    thegibdog wrote:
    davieb78 wrote:

Yeah, that was how I read it too.

Yep. Me too. Remember his backstory... https://magazine.bikesoup.com/alex-rich ... clist-year
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    Pross wrote:
    Crampeur wrote:
    thegibdog wrote:
    davieb78 wrote:

It's not so much from the twitter post, although some of the comments are worth reading, but more from what others have said.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    Fantastically strong ITT from Lady Garden today. Every now and again he shows what all the fuss is about.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,307
    Every now and then isn't enough for someone who was talked up as the next 'big thing'. The next big thing is leading the Giro and were riding away from Lady garden on stage 2.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    Yeah he should simply be a super domestique.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    I looked for a ToC thread to post on as well, but didn't find one.
    Actually got out of bed to watch My Man Tao ripping everyone's legs off on Monday, and then Bernal showing again he's the real deal.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,702
    Eurosport currently showing the Tour de L'Ain, live now.
    30kms to go.
    All stages live after the Giro..
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    It’s nearly over but there’s been some good racing in California this evening
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    That was well worth watching, a couple of very impressive rides there.
  • RichN95.
    Anyone looking forward to the demise of Sky is going to be waiting some time
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Are there highlights or something?
  • RichN95.
    Adam Yates in second, probably feeling this week like Meghan Markle’s sister.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Are there highlights or something?

Full stage is on Youtube
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    RichN95 wrote:
    Anyone looking forward to the demise of Sky is going to be waiting some time

They've both looked awesome this week. Do you know how long Sky have them under contract for?
  • specialgueststar
    specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
    Tour l'Ain finish in blooming beautiful Arbent

A younger Alaphilipe there in 2014
    julian-alaphilippe-of-team-omega-pharma-quick-step-during-stage-four-picture-id453694526
  • RichN95.
    Mitchelton-Scott dominated the first day of the Hammer Series in Norway. So who who are the real winners today?
  • RichN95.
    Meanwhile in Norway, Sky put into practice everything they learned at the Bouygues Telecom Team Time Trial Academy

https://twitter.com/HammerSeries/status ... 0462225408
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    "may just be the most talented bike racer on the planet"* Mathieu van der Poel pips Marc Sarreau to take the first stage of les Boucles de la Mayenne - a race he also won last year.

*https://cyclingtips.com/2017/11/mathieu-van-der-poel-is-most-talented-bike-racer-on-planet/
  • blazing_saddles
    hommelbier wrote:
    "may just be the most talented bike racer on the planet"* Mathieu van der Poel pips Marc Sarreau to take the first stage of les Boucles de la Mayenne - a race he also won last year.

*https://cyclingtips.com/2017/11/mathieu-van-der-poel-is-most-talented-bike-racer-on-planet/

I forgot that the race is being broadcast live on L'Equipe tv. There's a full re-cap tomorrow, before stage 2 though. :)
  • bobmcstuff
    Hammer series Limburg is on at the moment. Not quite sure how this sprint one differs from a crit (I assume they have sprints every lap?), but it's not terrible racing at the moment.

Live streaming on Facebook
  • hommelbier
    Boucles de la Mayenne.

Nacer Bouhanni beats Benoit Cosnefroy to take the second stage - at one time teammate Geoffrey Soupe in the five man leading group almost looked set for the win.

Mathieu van der Poel keeps the yellow jersey
  • bobmcstuff
    Mitchelton Scott smashing the hammer sprint.

Ewan is so fast! And aero.
  • blazing_saddles
    hommelbier wrote:
    Boucles de la Mayenne.

Nacer Bouhanni beats Benoit Cosnefroy to take the second stage - at one time teammate Geoffrey Soupe in the five man leading group almost looked set for the win.

Mathieu van der Poel keeps the yellow jersey

I watched a good chunk of it. M vd P was on the rivet over the harder climb before the circuit, but that course was never likely to force a selection. Certainly a stage race set up for the sprinter types.
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Mitchelton Scott smashing the hammer sprint.

Ewan is so fast! And aero.

I watched the rainy Hammer climb yesterday. Seeing how Bahrain went, I'd stick a tenner on Nibs for the Dauphine.
    Absolutely dominated the race.
  • bobmcstuff
    I actually enjoyed the hammer sprint. Pretty lightweight viewing, but the action was constant. I'd watch it again.
  • hommelbier
    Boucles de la Mayenne - Third and final stage

Nacer Bouhanni wins his second stage ahead of Marc Sarreau. Final kms pretty much controlled by Cofidis, esp Jimmy Turgis.
    Mathieu van der Poel takes the final GC for a second succesive year.
  • blazing_saddles
    Not so much about a small race, as young Mr Pidcock and some Sagan like skill.

https://twitter.com/Tompid/status/1002999750864637952/
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Not so much about a small race, as young Mr Pidcock and some Sagan like skill.

https://twitter.com/Tompid/status/1002999750864637952/

Raced against him a few times a couple of years ago in town centre crits and I was amazed by his bike handling. Yet almost every time he races he does something that's even more impressive! Incredible