TV Series - Reviews and Recommendations......

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,768
    pblakeney said:

morstar said:

Trainwreck Woodstock 99 on Netflix.

Very good - a succession of terrible decisions building on each other told with a good selection of footage and interviews.

My personal favourite moment is when the Chili Peppers are asked to go on and calm the crowd down because there's some arson going on and the fire crew won't go out because it's all gone to hell, so they go out and instead play a cover of Fire by Jimi Hendrix.
    Itโ€™s an interesting insight into leadership minds that simply ignore all negative feedback.

The biggest oddity is that you have an idea in mind of a hippy fest (a la Woodstock) but create a lineup that simply wonโ€™t attract that crowd.

Itโ€™s a bit like inviting hip hop acts to a village fete.
    As a counter argument The Who and Jimi Hendrix were hardly hippies either.
    Apropos of nothing, this showed up on my FB feed. If you can read it.
    Apparently the original Woodstock wasn't all hippies. ๐Ÿ˜‰

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    masjer said:

^ That is good.
    The Assassination of Gianni Versace (American crime story) was good too. The actor who played Andrew Cunanan was superb.

Indeed. Unquestionably the best actor to have come out of Glee...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,534
    ddraver said:

masjer said:

^ That is good.
    The Assassination of Gianni Versace (American crime story) was good too. The actor who played Andrew Cunanan was superb.

Indeed. Unquestionably the best actor to have come out of Glee...
    Havenโ€™t most of them died in unusual ways?
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,402
    House of the Dragon. Game of thrones prequel.

Watched one episode so far. Annoying funny looking cast. Needs less dragons, more sex and head squishing.
    Pinno, ืžืœืš ืื™ื“ื™ื•ื˜ ื•ื—ืจื ืžื›ื•ื ืื™
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,580
    edited August 2022
    Watched the first episode of this at the weekend - really good I thought.
    Could have sworn I recognised the main actor, but a search of imdb proves I am mistaken.

Quite 'out there' but highly enjoyable so far - slightly frustratingly despite watching it from All4, it would seem, so far at least, that they are only releasing the episodes one week at a time - old school.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b said:

Could have sworn I recognised the main actor, but a search of imdb proves I am mistaken.

Quite 'out there' but highly enjoyable so far - slightly frustratingly despite watching it from All4, it would seem, so far at least, that they are only releasing the episodes one week at a time - old school.

Me too!
    His face is so similar to another actor, but as yet I canโ€™t recall who.
    I quite enjoyed it as itโ€™s much lighter than the usual Swedish fare.
    Noir light.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • daniel_b
    edited August 2022

daniel_b said:

Me too!
    Noir light.
    Exactly - I'll be very interested to see how the series develops.

Mistakenly I had assumed it would be one case per episode, but it looks like it will be a thread running throughout the series.

I found it rather refreshing I have to say, and yes the polar opposite to the usual Scandinavian fare, which is perfectly good and watchable, but I think made this different tact all the more surprising, and unexpected, but in a good way.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • bonk_king
    bonk_king Posts: 277

daniel_b said:

Me too!
    Noir light.
    Do you not think he has a look of Mandy Patinkin who was in Homeland, amongst other things.

I don't think it is him but he favours him.
  • daniel_b
    bonk_king said:

daniel_b said:

Me too!
    Noir light.
    Do you not think he has a look of Mandy Patinkin who was in Homeland, amongst other things.

It's definitely not him, but yes I see what you mean.
    His name is: Johan Rheborg
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • ddraver
    seanoconn said:

Watched one episode so far. Annoying funny looking cast. Needs less dragons, more sex and head squishing.

Yeah, I'm quite enjoying it so far. A bit more The Westeros Wing rather than the blood fest of before but some of the old glory is back. Not quite season 1 & 2 back, but certainly not the clusterfuck of Season 8
    - @ddraver
  • bonk_king said:

daniel_b said:

Me too!
    Noir light.

On first glance I thought it looked like the bloke from The Bridge / Killing Eve?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,492
    Rediscovered The Shield recently - US cop series from the noughties with Michael Chiklis as the anti-hero. Good watch.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,563
    Stevo_666 said:

Rediscovered The Shield recently - US cop series from the noughties with Michael Chiklis as the anti-hero. Good watch.

Yeah, I recommended it here too. I liked its non PCness and blistering pace. The Forest Whitaker season was particularly good.
  • Stevo_666
    masjer said:

Stevo_666 said:

Yeah, I recommended it here too. I liked its non PCness and blistering pace. The Forest Whitaker season was particularly good.
    Spot on. Mind you, I'm only on season 1....so not got to the Forest Whitaker series but on the upside, plenty more to get through.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • masjer
    edited September 2022
    Stevo_666 said:

masjer said:

Stevo_666 said:

Spot on. Mind you, I'm only on season 1....so not got to the Forest Whitaker series but on the upside, plenty more to get through.
    You've got some good viewing ahead then. It gets even better. How low will Mackey go? Very.
  • seanoconn
    Watched the first couple of Shield seasons when it originally aired. Tried to give it another go a while back but found it a bit dated ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ
  • daniel_b
    edited September 2022
    I thought I had posted this one, but seemingly not.

Had seen it on the All4 player for ages, but not tried it - it's awesome.

Great comedy, set in the 70s, very very watchable, both series available:

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Stevo_666
    seanoconn said:

Watched the first couple of Shield seasons when it originally aired. Tried to give it another go a while back but found it a bit dated ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ

I'm quite into it now. As long as you remember it's 20 years old, no problem.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    The Capture. Currently has season 2 on bbc iPlayer.
    National security drama based on the premise of the ability to manipulate and replace CCTV footage.

Enjoyed the first series, second series currently half way through and fully invested. Really tense story lines and something to make you wonder about.
  • ddraver
    I'm not quite sure how, but I have gotten well into Friday Night Lights on Netflix (I think) and for a few more weeks on 4OD.

Think that film with Dawson's Creek in it who plays footbawwl in Wehst Tehxas but turned into a series. Somehow it's annoyingly addictive even if it does provide an interesting look into how the lives of these towns and kids revolves so tightly around what is just an interschool sports team...
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    (if you'd ever wondered where "the kids" from The Wire went, a few of them are here ^.)
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    ddraver said:

... it does provide an interesting look into how the lives of these towns and kids revolves so tightly around what is just an interschool sports team...

Just for a little perspective. Texas high school football match.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • morstar
    pblakeney said:

ddraver said:

... it does provide an interesting look into how the lives of these towns and kids revolves so tightly around what is just an interschool sports team...

Just for a little perspective. Texas high school football match.

Yep, itโ€™s not inter school in GB sense. Itโ€™s the third tier of the sport.

NFL, college, high school are the equivalent of PL, championship and D1 (or whatever it is these days).
  • morstar
    Although outside of football, here in Blighty, some of the biggest crowds for minority sports are for varsity games.

Nottingham varsity ice hockey is a sell out crowd of 6k. Not many ice hockey games in GB get that sort of crowd.
  • ddraver
    edited September 2022
    True...but they're re still school kids!

15 to 18 max. It's not really like they're Sheffield Wednesday...

And to be fair to the series, only the "state fahnal" looks like that in it. The other games a little more bleachers and mud.
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    seanoconn said:

Caught up to episode 4....bit of a slow burn this innit...

Milly Alcock is a potential superstar but, she's not been given much to work with.
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    ^ Episode 6 and all the "kids" have grown up. Paddy Considine is carrying it but it's a heavy burden.

The new "Top Gear" - A Scandi Flick - struggling now. I forgave them the lockdown episodes as making the best of very difficult circumstances but that excuse doesn't hold water anymore. It's sad, but it is time to let it die now....
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    ddraver said:

^ Episode 6 and all the "kids" have grown up. Paddy Considine is carrying it but it's a heavy burden.

The new "Top Gear" - A Scandi Flick - struggling now. I forgave them the lockdown episodes as making the best of very difficult circumstances but that excuse doesn't hold water anymore. It's sad, but it is time to let it die now....

Tbf, James May did try. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • masjer
    Andor Disney+

Yet another from the Star Wars franchise, but this has an altogether different tone.
    Visually stunning and enjoyable so far...
  • seanoconn
    masjer said:

Andor Disney+

Yet another from the Star Wars franchise, but this has an altogether different tone.
    Visually stunning and enjoyable so far...

Youโ€™re watching this with the kids right? ๐Ÿ˜‰