TV Series - Reviews and Recommendations......

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    daniel_b said:

Finished watching something to hide last night, I was wrong, they managed a very good and credible ending in a way - no big disappointment, a fairly satisfactory conclusion I thought.

On the turbo this am, started watching Artic Circle via Walter Presents.
    Excellent cast, lead by the fabulous Lina Kuustonen - 1.5 episodes in so far, and bodes well, not fast moving, very atmospheric surroundings, I think it will be a good solid series.

Was enjoying this but seem to have got bogged down a bit by episode 3. Finish German collaboration and because of this they regularly speak English as a neutral language which seems to have a detrimental effect on the acting.

Looking forward to season 3 of the Finish detective series Deadwind soon on Netflix, starring the sister of Artic Circle detective, the one with Herpes.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    seanoconn said:

Was enjoying this but seem to have got bogged down a bit by episode 3. Finish German collaboration and because of this they regularly speak English as a neutral language which seems to have a detrimental effect on the acting.

Looking forward to season 3 of the Finish detective series Deadwind soon on Netflix, starring the sister of Artic Circle detective, the one with Herpes.

Agreed, the English bits did not seem that natural.

Hopefully I'll continue to enjoy it, assuming the ecdc bloke will be returning.

Deadwind sounds interesting, quite the unfortunate quote above :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    edited October 2022
    seanoconn said:

daniel_b said:

Finished watching something to hide last night, I was wrong, they managed a very good and credible ending in a way - no big disappointment, a fairly satisfactory conclusion I thought.

Excellent cast, lead by the fabulous Lina Kuustonen - 1.5 episodes in so far, and bodes well, not fast moving, very atmospheric surroundings, I think it will be a good solid series.

Funny you should mention it, as I started watching series one, just yesterday. Seems to be just what one has come to expect from Scandi noir, so I have settled in for the duration.
    Going to give Arctic Circle a whirl too, as it's on the Skybox without any of those irritating All4 ad breaks.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • seanoconn

seanoconn said:

daniel_b said:

Funny you should mention it, as I started watching series one, just yesterday. Seems to be just what one has come to expect from Scandi noir, so I have settled in for the duration.
    Going to give Arctic Circle a whirl too, as it's on the Skybox without any of those irritating All4 ad breaks.

Yep, definitely worth giving deadwind a chance. I watched half the first episode and nearly gave up but persisted and ended up watching the first two seasons twice.
  • seanoconn said:

seanoconn said:

daniel_b said:

Yep, definitely worth giving deadwind a chance. I watched half the first episode and nearly gave up but persisted and ended up watching the first two seasons twice.
    Just started Arctic Circle now and I am amazed how both begin with almost identical “discoveries”.
    Even the home backgrounds are similar.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    Started watching SAS Rogue Heroes. It feels like it has been trailed for months now. The first episode was a bit slow with some scene setting but it picked up in episode 2 and should start getting to the real action in episode 3.

It seems to match up with what I’ve previously read about the lunatics that set up the SAS. Decent soundtrack too with a mixture of music from the era and the likes of AC/DC, similar to Peaky Blinders.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,505
    Pross said:

Started watching SAS Rogue Heroes. It feels like it has been trailed for months now. The first episode was a bit slow with some scene setting but it picked up in episode 2 and should start getting to the real action in episode 3.

It seems to match up with what I’ve previously read about the lunatics that set up the SAS. Decent soundtrack too with a mixture of music from the era and the likes of AC/DC, similar to Peaky Blinders.

I particularly like the soundtrack - AC DC, The Damned, The Stranglers . . .
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771
    Pross said:

Feels like its all a bit cynical. Probably a good yarn in there but too obviously trying to hook the Peaky Blinders fans in. They'll be dressing up in khaki by the end of November.

Hard to get used to Miles Jupp in such a role too!
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • seanoconn
    Pross said:

Just finished this, really enjoyable. While it shouldn’t be necessary, the soundtrack does help you appreciate what complete badass MF’s those guys were.
  • Pross
    seanoconn said:

Pross said:

Just finished this, really enjoyable. While it shouldn’t be necessary, the soundtrack does help you appreciate what complete badass MF’s those guys were.
    I've seen the first 4 episodes, if you didn't know the history you would probably think it was a bit OTT. As recently as 2006 there was a campaign in Parliament to get Paddy Mayne a VC and at the time the King apparently even pushed for it. He also played rugby for Ireland and the Lions before the war.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Industry is still one of the most enjoyable TV series I've watched in ages.

Characters are all interesting, it's fun that it's set in the City, it's actually really funny and the sheer volume of drugs and pron-spec sex is also fun

First programme I've ever seen that captures the humiliation of grad level jobs in professional services.

9/10, love it.
  • daniel_b
    seanoconn said:

Wisting season 2 BBC iplayer. Nordic detective series. Good cast of characters, reasonable amount of gore. Trinity from the Matrix in a few episodes as an FBI agent. Worth a watch.

Thanks for mentioning this, would have totally missed it - watched the first 2 episodes on the turbo this morning, seems like it will be good.
    iPlayer claims it (series 1) is only available for 3 weeks, though it may renew, shame they don't put that in the description.

Nearly finished Arctic Circle - really enjoyed it, just one episode left, may get to watch it at lunch today.
    A little bit far fetched at times, but over all it has been an enjoyable series, though it seems it will be a one off.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532

Industry is still one of the most enjoyable TV series I've watched in ages.

Characters are all interesting, it's fun that it's set in the City, it's actually really funny and the sheer volume of drugs and pron-spec sex is also fun

First programme I've ever seen that captures the humiliation of grad level jobs in professional services.

9/10, love it.

This doesn't surprise me.

I got bored. It doesn't help when in those great TV moments like an anonymous caller phoning up to buy a load of shares all I can think of is that writers clearly don't know about KYC.
  • rick_chasey
    Haha the guys are practically always on the gear, constantly have sex all over the place with each other, clients, the lot, but it's the lack of KYC that tips it into the realm of unrealistic for you?
  • TheBigBean

Haha the guys are practically always on the gear, constantly have sex all over the place with each other, clients, the lot, but it's the lack of KYC that tips it into the realm of unrealistic for you?

No. The sex and drugs thing is a bit dull and over the top, but I'd imagine at least some of it goes on though.
  • We've recently watched this mini series on Prime, not a bad watch.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Devils-Hour-Season-1/dp/B0B5LHM1CG
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • rick_chasey

No. The sex and drugs thing is a bit dull and over the top, but I'd imagine at least some of it goes on though.
    Ah the sex is hilarious. If the scene in the back of the cab in season two or the gay sex scene moments before aren't funny to you then it's definitely not the right programme for you.
  • I had "Yellowstone" recommended to me on another forum so I started watching it. I'm on episode 4 of the first season and already I'll stick my neck out and say it's got the potential to be one of the best series I've seen, and I've seen a lot!
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    My wife's fooled me into watching "Lost". This speaks volumes of her persuasive skills, considering I know full well she hated the ending (which she didn't spoil for me!). Deep inside, I suspect she wants me to get hooked and get just as disappointed with it as she was.

Also, what sort of idiot plays the Lost lottery numbers in real life? It's a fantastic way to earn much less money in the exteremly unlikely case you won anything.

Other than that, I'm finding Andor somewhat mixed. Some of the stories I find quite interesting, while others I couldn't really care less about.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    drhaggis said:

My wife's fooled me into watching "Lost". This speaks volumes of her persuasive skills, considering I know full well she hated the ending (which she didn't spoil for me!). Deep inside, I suspect she wants me to get hooked and get just as disappointed with it as she was.

Also, what sort of idiot plays the Lost lottery numbers in real life? It's a fantastic way to earn much less money in the exteremly unlikely case you won anything.

Other than that, I'm finding Andor somewhat mixed. Some of the stories I find quite interesting, while others I couldn't really care less about.

I enjoyed lost at the time but the ending is crap.

The most frustrating thing about the ending is that at the time when there was massive hype, I saw an interview with the writer saying how he felt privileged they were able to make the ending he had always wanted to make.

If that is what he planned well…

Actually considered watching it again about a year ago. Turned it on on Netflix and about 10 minutes in turned it off realising it doesn’t stand a second watch as nothing comes together. It’s fun when you are lost in those stories wondering where it is all going, when you’re not, I don’t think it has much to offer.

Currently re-watching breaking bad and that is the opposite, you really see the depth and contradictions of the characters in every scene and the penny drops of how significant some seemingly throwaway moments are.
  • daniel_b
    Finished series 1 of Wisting, very entertaining, and quite gripping I thought.

Started series 2 which is also looking excellent - noticed it is only 8 episodes.

A 3rd series has been shown, though not on iplayer yet, but it is only 4 episodes, apparently it was originally meant to all be part of series 2.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • You'll be disappointed to find that series 2 and 3 are only 4 episodes each but BBC iPlayer lumps them all together as series 2.
  • daniel_b
    Oh bugger, yes I will, but saves me waiting for a series 3, so thankyou :)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    Wisting all done and dusted - his daughter is a bit of a trouble magnet eh!
    Hoping there will be subsequent series.

Started watching SAS Rogue heroes thing whilst on the turbo yesterday, and watched part 2 in the evening.

Both of those are scene setters I would suggest, but it strikes me as a highly entertaining series.

The soundtrack is good, though being from random points in time not connected with the period they are portraying took a little bit of getting used to - nice touch though, really colourises some scenes in my opinion.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,972
    daniel_b said:

Started watching SAS Rogue heroes thing whilst on the turbo yesterday, and watched part 2 in the evening.

I thought it was entertaining but appeared to be a number of stories/scenes stuck together. Could have done with more depth and been longer.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    pblakeney said:

daniel_b said:

I thought it was entertaining but appeared to be a number of stories/scenes stuck together. Could have done with more depth and been longer.
    I though the opposite was the case. Could have cut half the plotlines out and shortened it
  • Pross
    Finished SAS Rogue Heroes now and it was entertaining after those first couple of slower episodes. The last episode covered what was probably their most famous WW2 raid. Not sure why they felt the need to bring in the fictional Eve Mansour character though, it didn't really add anything.
  • TheBigBean
    Pross said:

Finished SAS Rogue Heroes now and it was entertaining after those first couple of slower episodes. The last episode covered what was probably their most famous WW2 raid. Not sure why they felt the need to bring in the fictional Eve Mansour character though, it didn't really add anything.

That's really irritating when that happens. I read 7 years in Tibet and then watched the film which was mostly about a love interest that never featured in the book. Apparently, TV/big screen viewers need a love interest.
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2022

Pross said:

That's really irritating when that happens. I read 7 years in Tibet and then watched the film which was mostly about a love interest that never featured in the book. Apparently, TV/big screen viewers need a love interest.
    Same goes for the almost shot-for-shot remake The Departed.

Basically took an excellent chinese thriller infernal affairs, and added an irrelevant love interest. Bit of a pisstake that they gave Scorsese the oscar for best director, given more than half the shots he nicked.
  • 'The English' on BBC is very good. Not actually much of a fan of the Western as a genre as they are usually just a celebration of some fairly horrendous aspects of American history. This is a bit more nuanced though. Strange to think that the Writer/Director Hugo Blick started out doing 'Marion and Geoff' with Rob Brydon.

Just finished re-watching 'This Life' and 'People Just do nothing' on iplayer. TL seems very dated. People just do nothing really holds up well though, the gags are far more intricate and subtle than I remember, the characters portrayals are also pitch perfect.