TV Series - Reviews and Recommendations......

Comments

• masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,572
    seanoconn said:

masjer said:

Andor Disney+

Yet another from the Star Wars franchise, but this has an altogether different tone.
    Visually stunning and enjoyable so far...

Youโ€™re watching this with the kids right? ๐Ÿ˜‰
    ๐Ÿ‘Ž The force is weak with you.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,446
    House of the dragon episode 6. I must be in a minority because this series gets an 8.5 on IMDB and 85% on rotten tomatoes. Pants so far and showing no signs of improvement.
    Pinno, ืžืœืš ืื™ื“ื™ื•ื˜ ื•ื—ืจื ืžื›ื•ื ืื™
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,661
    Nah, I think itโ€™s shite too but then I thought GoT was shite as well.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    Me 3

(although not with Pross on GoT 1- 6ish)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    Welcome to Wrexham - the story of Ryan Reynolds' mate buying Wrexham which I'm sure you've noticed. Might be a bit cringe to actual kickball fans but I'm really enjoying it.

Reynolds and MacIlhernay (?) are really (annoyingly) rather lovable and you can tell that they really aren't mucking around with it.

I think it's on disney but I'll admit to using...alternative sources.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    How to sell drugs online (fast). Netflix.

Think a German, comic version of Breaking Bad.

Very enjoyable.

Watched it dubbed which was a mistake as they have anglicised the translations which I think is taking dumbing down too far.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,850
    morstar said:

Very enjoyable.

Watched it dubbed which was a mistake as they have anglicised the translations which I think is taking dumbing down too far.

Having watched both versions of Das Boot a while ago I came to the conclusion that I prefer subtitles. Dubbed voices just never seem to have the right tone.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    pblakeney said:

morstar said:

Very enjoyable.

Having watched both versions of Das Boot a while ago I came to the conclusion that I prefer subtitles. Dubbed voices just never seem to have the right tone.
    Agree, I generally prefer to read the subtitles but sometimes donโ€™t change the settings.

The problem I do have with French and German is that I know a bit of the language but not enough to follow. I end up getting distracted trying (and failing) to translate.

Iโ€™ve watched a few Korean things where that isnโ€™t a problem and you definitely donโ€™t want dubbed.

Weirdly, having watched a dubbed programme with the subtitles on also, itโ€™s surprising how divergent the dubbing and subtitles are.

• crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    I'm a couple of episodes in to "This England" and really enjoying it. Kenneth Branagh is outstanding as BJ. It does claim to be fiction based on fact. Not sure what the actual split is but I found myself warming to Boris a bit. On the other hand, I didn't think I could hate Dominic Cummings any more than I already did, but I surprised myself! What a see you next Tuesday he was/is.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3โ€œWhen I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. โ€œ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,422
    is there a mention for Frozen Planet 2?
    I watched episode 3 last night. Slightly better after the brutal Killer whales.

The Macaque's were fantastic characters, Golden eagles are big, clever and lethal, Puma's are stunningly beautiful (and now protected in Chile)...
    Wonderful stuff.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • masjer said:

Andor Disney+

Yet another from the Star Wars franchise, but this has an altogether different tone.
    Visually stunning and enjoyable so far...

The screenplay is by Tony Gilory who wrote the first three Bourne films and one of my favourites ever Michael Clayton which explains the much darker, bleaker tone. The majority of episodes have been also been directed by Toby Hanes whoโ€™s done a few Sherlocks, Black Mirror, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norell and Brexit: The Uncivil War amongst others, and Susanna White has done a few too โ€“ she was one of the key directors of the excellent Generation Kill.

One of the cinematographers is Jonathan Freeman who filmed Boardwalk Empire, GoT and Ray Donovan.

So the producers have really gone to town on this with a heavy hitting team.
  • bonk_king
    bonk_king Posts: 277
    pinno said:

is there a mention for Frozen Planet 2?
    I watched episode 3 last night. Slightly better after the brutal Killer whales.

The Macaque's were fantastic characters, Golden eagles are big, clever and lethal, Puma's are stunningly beautiful (and now protected in Chile)...
    Wonderful stuff.

I've been watching nature programmes since I was a small boy, most involving Sir David.

Out of all the genres of television, comedy, thrillers, horror, drama etc etc, which on occasion can be a big let down, programmes about nature just never disappoint, ever.

Although nowadays, unfortunately we are seeing more and more nature documentaries regarding climate change and loss of habitat etc, which can be pretty grim viewing.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,019
    Ha, taken a punt on the box set of Cheers for doing my trumpet practice to. 275 episodes for ยฃ35. Will be interesting to see if it still works 40 years after it was first aired. Probably safer than M*A*S*H, which had a laugh track alongside an attempted rape in one episode, which rather put me off.
  • pblakeney
    Probably worth the schmaltz for Norm's one liners.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

Yeah, my memory is that they are well crafted, characters likeable, and some good lines. I suspect that there aren't really any plots, and that it works like a US version of Dad's Army... just laughing at flawed humans, which is, well, all of us.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    I don't think you'll be disappointed in Cheers. Channel 4 show a few episodes early in the morning and I often watch it after nightshift. I don't remember many poor episodes.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3โ€œWhen I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. โ€œ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • @pinno Talking of wildlife stuff Epic Adventures by Bertie Gregory on National Geographic (Disney) is fantastic. Only a mini-series but wonderful cinematography and Bertie is really likeable and knowledgeable guy. He's worked on many of the Attenborough documentaries too.
  • masjer

@pinno Talking of wildlife stuff Epic Adventures by Bertie Gregory on National Geographic (Disney) is fantastic. Only a mini-series but wonderful cinematography and Bertie is really likeable and knowledgeable guy. He's worked on many of the Attenborough documentaries too.

I'll have a look at that, cheers. I started Dolphin Reef, but couldn't tolerate the American style baby narration.
  • briantrumpet

pblakeney said:

Love this.

https://youtu.be/0FNHD_RyoL8

Haha, that made me chortle. More like that, and I'll be happy.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,422

@pinno Talking of wildlife stuff Epic Adventures by Bertie Gregory on National Geographic (Disney) is fantastic. Only a mini-series but wonderful cinematography and Bertie is really likeable and knowledgeable guy. He's worked on many of the Attenborough documentaries too.

Born and bred in Kenya me so spoiled by the Serengeti, the Mara, Amboseli national park etc. Makes me a bit sad when I watch stuff filmed there.
    My sister is chief editor of Pachyderm magazine printed in Kenya, her husbands father founded the Shimba hills reserve (primarily for Elephant conservation), her husbands brother works on another reserve protecting Rhino and Elephant.
    In fact, he has a new multi millionaire American benefactor who just bought a new helicopter! (after they lost one, sadly along with the pilot).

Can't stand those 'merican commentaries.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney

Ha, taken a punt on the box set of Cheers for doing my trumpet practice to. 275 episodes for ยฃ35. Will be interesting to see if it still works 40 years after it was first aired. Probably safer than M*A*S*H, which had a laugh track alongside an attempted rape in one episode, which rather put me off.

Just for everyone's info......
    I was curious and looked. All series, and all episodes are available on 4OD.

That's my short time viewing sorted for a considerable period. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,446
    Mortimer and Whitehouse gone fishing series 5. Getting a little tired but still very watchable.
    Pinno, ืžืœืš ืื™ื“ื™ื•ื˜ ื•ื—ืจื ืžื›ื•ื ืื™
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,957
    seanoconn said:

Mortimer and Whitehouse gone fishing series 5. Getting a little tired but still very watchable.

Didn't realise there were 5. I'm halfway through the second series, it's enjoyable in it's own charming way but I think maybe 3 series will be enough for me.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,445
    pblakeney said:

Just for everyone's info......
    I was curious and looked. All series, and all episodes are available on 4OD.

That's my short time viewing sorted for a considerable period. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    I've probably watched all of Cheers twice over on C4 in the morning over the last few years. It was on every day and I ate breakfast watching it. The script writing is sublime, with some real subtle jokes as well. I prefer the earlier series with Shelley Long as Diane Chambers. She was a much better character than Rebecca (Kirstie Alley) I just found that her and Sam's relationship was just too contrived and it became too slapstick for me.
    Anyway, enjoy. Its a great show.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• pblakeney

I am! 3rd episode so far, quite addictive. The characters are developing nicely. Doing them in order from the start adds nuances which are lost just catching random episodes. Must have seen most episodes at least thrice over the years.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

I am! 3rd episode so far, quite addictive. The characters are developing nicely. Doing them in order from the start adds nuances which are lost just catching random episodes. Must have seen most episodes at least thrice over the years.

I definitely have never seen all the episodes. Not sure when I've caught the ones I have seen... might have been at university, when they first aired... can't remember my tuning in since then, and no TV since 1993...
  • masjer
    seanoconn said:

You mean it's lost its sole. And away.
    Bob is great, especially post Vic Reeves years.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    masjer said:

seanoconn said:

His book. And away is worth a read. Apparently heโ€™s not too good health wise at the moment.
  • masjer
    webboo said:

masjer said:

seanoconn said:

His book. And away is worth a read. Apparently heโ€™s not too good health wise at the moment.
    I didn't think he looked too healthy. His heart problem again?