TdF 2017: Stage 9 Nantua - Chambéry 181.5KM *Spoilers*

Comments

• EnacheV
    EnacheV Posts: 235
    crazy stage
    gotta love the haters for going spastic about the Froome bump in to Aru :)
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Did Herrada really finish after a dislocated kneecap? :shock:
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Fractured collarbone and hip for LRP
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    - A very tough and dangerous stage we did today. But, our team did it on the high level and we could be happy with the final result. Today, we planned to attack, we had to do it far from the top of the final climb. Thus, I found a good moment on the Mont du Chat and attacked. Honestly, I did not see the moment when Chris Froome has got a mechanical problem. I was fully concentrated on my attacking moment. Later, I was told by radio that Froome had to stop because of a mechanical. So, I stopped as well to wait for him
    , - explained Fabio Aru.

OK - So who believes him? At least Nibali is brutally honest enough to admit to attacking during an incident.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    iainf72 wrote:
    He is very lucky to not have come off worse than that. Hope he recovers well, and quickly
    www.dotcycling.com
  • Hmmmm. I'm tempted to give him the benefit of the doubt but it is remarkable timing that right at the moment he was busy concentrating Froome had his problem :D
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    imatfaal wrote:
    - A very tough and dangerous stage we did today. But, our team did it on the high level and we could be happy with the final result. Today, we planned to attack, we had to do it far from the top of the final climb. Thus, I found a good moment on the Mont du Chat and attacked. Honestly, I did not see the moment when Chris Froome has got a mechanical problem. I was fully concentrated on my attacking moment. Later, I was told by radio that Froome had to stop because of a mechanical. So, I stopped as well to wait for him
    , - explained Fabio Aru.

OK - So who believes him? At least Nibali is brutally honest enough to admit to attacking during an incident.
    If he didn't see it he must go to the same optician as Arsene Wenger.

But no harm done. Tired, nervous riders often make bad decisions.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    iainf72 wrote:

He's lucky to be honest, it would have been a lot worse. :cry:
    Correlation is not causation.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    imatfaal wrote:
    , - explained Fabio Aru.

I do.
    I'm reasonably sure having watched the highlights just now that the Aru attack is just before the Froome mechanical.
    Not the bit about him deciding to stop though - that was peer pressure.
    His fault if he's not got the balls to shrug that off.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    edited July 2017
    imatfaal wrote:
    , - explained Fabio Aru.

He literally rode under Froome's arm, he should stop trying to talk his way out of it.
  • tailwindhome
    Gesink looked to have been in agony.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    adr82 wrote:
    imatfaal wrote:
    , - explained Fabio Aru.

He literally rode under Froome's arm, he should stop trying to talk his way out of it.

Froome's arm goes up after the attack
    No? :lol:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    iainf72 wrote:

When he went down it looked so bad I went through Tony McCoy's wife's checklist - 1. Is he conscious, 2. Is there movement in his legs. (Her reasoning was everything else can be fixed)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    adr82 wrote:
    imatfaal wrote:
    , - explained Fabio Aru.

Try watching the whole clip...
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    adr82 wrote:
    imatfaal wrote:
    , - explained Fabio Aru.

No.
  • emadden
    Genuine question: What was the mechanical that Froome had? Didn't see it
    www.dotcycling.com
  • So, including both injurys and time cuts, how many guys are out of the race today?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    marginal gains...are electronic gear sets worth it. seen a lot of malfunctions at critical times. especially in the wet during stage races.

its not like the tech is brand new.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    emadden wrote:

Gears broke.

He changed bikes
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    emadden wrote:

Stuck in bottom gear, even Froome couldn't spin it quick enough to keep up.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    So, including both injurys and time cuts, how many guys are out of the race today?

I make it 12 - Le Gac going from 193 to 181. Herrado surely a doubt to start Tuesday though.
  • emadden
    Thanks guys... DI2 failure or mis-fire then. Good though that he got a bike change so quick.
    www.dotcycling.com
  • imatfaal
    Stage nine abandonments
    Richie Porte (BMC) – Crashed
    Geraint Thomas (Team Sky) – Fractured Collarbone
    Robert Gesink (Lotto NLJumbo) – Crashed
    Arnaud Démare (FDJ) – Outside of time limit
    Jacopo Guarnieri (FDJ) – OTL
    Ignatas Konovalovas (FDJ) – OTL
    Mickaël Delage (FDJ) – OTL
    Jos Van Emden (Lotto NLJumbo) – OTL
    Mark Renshaw (Dimension Data) – OTL
    Matteo Trentin (Quick-Step Floors) – OTL
    Juraj Sagan (Bora-Hansgrohe) – OTL

Stage eight abandonments
    None

Stage seven abandonments
    None

Stage six abandonments
    None

Stage five abandonments
    Mark Cavendish (Dimension Data) – DNS, fractured shoulder blade

Stage four abandonments
    Peter Sagan (Bora-Hansgrohe) – disqualified from race

Stage three abandonments
    None

Stage two abandonments
    Luke Durbridge (Orica-Scott) – ankle ligament damage

Stage one abandonments
    Ion Izagirre (Bahrain-Merida) – fracture to lower back
    Alejandro Valverde (Movistar) – broken knee cap, broken ankle
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    imatfaal wrote:
    Stage nine abandonments
    Richie Porte (BMC) – Crashed
    Geraint Thomas (Team Sky) – Fractured Collarbone
    Robert Gesink (Lotto NLJumbo) – Crashed
    Arnaud Démare (FDJ) – Outside of time limit
    Jacopo Guarnieri (FDJ) – OTL
    Ignatas Konovalovas (FDJ) – OTL
    Mickaël Delage (FDJ) – OTL
    Jos Van Emden (Lotto NLJumbo) – OTL
    Mark Renshaw (Dimension Data) – OTL
    Matteo Trentin (Quick-Step Floors) – OTL
    Juraj Sagan (Bora-Hansgrohe) – OTL

You've missed Mori - dislocated shoulder / collapsed lung.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

When he went down it looked so bad I went through Tony McCoy's wife's checklist - 1. Is he conscious, 2. Is there movement in his legs. (Her reasoning was everything else can be fixed)

I had Giro 2011 flashbacks.

Apparently LRP was worried that he'd lost his glasses and the race doctor is sorry she couldn't find them. Shock and a blow to the head does funny things to your priorities.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    Hmmmm. I'm tempted to give him the benefit of the doubt but it is remarkable timing that right at the moment he was busy concentrating Froome had his problem :D

He didn't see his arm go up as he ducked under it.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal wrote:
    Stage nine abandonments

Well spotted. I am glad I missed seeing the Gesink / Mori crash it seems to have been awful - wasn't a third rider involved?
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,973
    imatfaal wrote:
    , - explained Fabio Aru.

I never knew Aru did standup... he's definitely having a larf.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    Aru certainly saw Froome’s arm, but why should there not be a cost to using extremely puncture-prone tyres (i.e. very fast ones), derailleurs that can’t be trusted to last 200 km, and experimental gizmos of the sort often botched together by pro race mechanics? Or to being inept at changing gears, grabbing a musette, cornering at speed, or performing other necessary actions of cycling?

The expectation that everyone should wait every time something goes mildly wrong, usually because of the rider’s/team’s own fault, has become excessive. There’s too much waiting around for people who have real or imagined mechanical issues, toilet stops, etc. And too much debate over the non-issue of who saw what.

Treating it like a race would clarify a lot of things.
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    imatfaal wrote:
    imatfaal wrote:
    Stage nine abandonments

Well spotted. I am glad I missed seeing the Gesink / Mori crash it seems to have been awful - wasn't a third rider involved?

What you rarely hear in these crashes is a rider screaming out in pain which is what Mori was doing. Very uncomfortable viewing.