TdF 2017: Stage 9 Nantua - Chambéry 181.5KM *Spoilers*

1212223242527»

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Also, we've all seen riders who shake their heads because they've got no energy left to work with a break and miraculously recover for the sprint.
    Linking into the waiting/no waiting debate - I've argued in the past that if waiting rather than not attacking is the standard faked mechanicals may start to become a thing.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    RichN95 wrote:
    but when your sport had a decade or two of an EPO free for all the moral high ground is as shaky as a half hour old game of Jenga.

Which football teams were implicated in Puerto again?

I do agree with you though, sportsmen bending the rules for competitive advantage shocker.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    RichN95 wrote:
    Also, we've all seen riders who shake their heads because they've got no energy left to work with a break and miraculously recover for the sprint.
    Linking into the waiting/no waiting debate - I've argued in the past that if waiting rather than not attacking is the standard faked mechanicals may start to become a thing.

I think that's exactly the sort of issue that the peloton would deal with fairly harshly. We've seen in football that kicking the ball out is no longer guaranteed, it happens if the player down is reasonably well thought of or clearly injured. Otherwise it's up to the ref to stop the game.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    Dan Martin fractured his L2 and L3 vertebrae in the crash on the descent of the Chat.

Then rode 12 more stages and finished 6th overall on GC. F**k.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    Wow. Not sure if something like that is chapeau, or if his team doctors should rather pull him from the race.

Incredible perseverance though. A real hard man of cycling. Chapeau I guess, Dan!
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    andyp wrote:
    Dan Martin fractured his L2 and L3 vertebrae in the crash on the descent of the Chat.

A whole rack of chapeaux, in that case - no wonder he struggled to stand upright at the end of some stages.

Was it Hincapie who refused to have an x-ray, on the basis that if they found something wrong he'd have to stop, whereas if he simply knew he was broken he could carry on?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    andyp wrote:

Made of different stuff to the rest of us.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Nails.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    However had he wished to ride the race, he may not have had any other choice but to miss it. On Thursday his team announced that a post-Tour examination had revealed two small transverse process fractures to his L2 and L3 vertebrae. “During the Tour I didn’t have any problems when racing, but off the bike I wasn’t feeling very comfortable,” he stated in a team release. “So this week I did a scan and got the news. It’s a real pity I won’t ride San Sebastian, because the legs were there and it’s a race I like. But fortunately this injury isn’t something to worry about.

“In order to tackle my future goals in good condition, it’s better to take a break and give the fracture time to heal. There’s nothing else I can do, just rest and then build up for the final part of the season.”
    https://cyclingtips.com/news/dan-martin ... fractures/
    No wonder he looked so damn uncomfortable getting off the bike. Tough Guys.
  • We are not worthy
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    andyp wrote:

Made of different stuff to the rest of us.

Pffft, speak for yourself. I had an undiagnosed posterior shoulder dislocation for 4 months and managed to turn up to my job and produce high quality technical solutions.

:P
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Blimey, how did anyone manage not to guess your shoulder was dislocated if it was down there?