TdF 2017: Stage 9 Nantua - Chambéry 181.5KM *Spoilers*

Comments

• Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    TheBigBean wrote:
    I think (wasn't paying especially close attention) Dan Martin said that Porte's rear wheel locked up when he braked because of the road being damp/slippery. Not sure it's fair to categorise that as a lack of attention - could probably have caught anyone out.

I'd say that is a lapse in concentration. Braking on wet patch whilst riding unnecessarily close to the edge of the road.

Whole road was damp, and it only takes a slight undulation to change the grip you have. Don't think he was unnecessarily close to the edge, either - his line was, if anything, closer to the middle (he's to the right of Martin when it goes wrong). The problems started a long time before he left the road. It's not like G the other day, who seemed to simply not see a corner in front of him.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    TheBigBean wrote:
    I think (wasn't paying especially close attention) Dan Martin said that Porte's rear wheel locked up when he braked because of the road being damp/slippery. Not sure it's fair to categorise that as a lack of attention - could probably have caught anyone out.

I'd say that is a lapse in concentration. Braking on wet patch whilst riding unnecessarily close to the edge of the road.

Whole road was damp, and it only takes a slight undulation to change the grip you have. Don't think he was unnecessarily close to the edge, either - his line was, if anything, closer to the middle (he's to the right of Martin when it goes wrong). The problems started a long time before he left the road. It's not like G the other day, who seemed to simply not see a corner in front of him.

Who knows what caused the crash. I just know I am very sad. :cry:
    Correlation is not causation.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    TheBigBean wrote:

I have to say when I saw the crash I wasn't thinking "what a dangerous road", I was thinking "he's misjudged that". Given everyone else in the group was riding the same lines at the same speed as well.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    ASO and other organisers need to get commitment from local authorities to NOT resurface roads just before the race. It had to be a factor.

All that being said, 150+ other riders managed to not crash. Was the descent too dangerous?

Inrng saying on Twitter they did a bad job of the resurfacing, with uneven 'corrugated' surface in places.

Nieve crashed, we don't know if anyone else crashed, it doesn't mean they didn't, I doubt people further back were pushing so hard with the exception of the autobus.

Trentin rolled in hors delai on his own, others were coming in as small groups on Millar's clip. Wouldn't be surprised to learn an autobus never formed. People were shelled with some ferocity today (to the point where I wonder if the time cuts aren't a bit harsh on days like this).

A group of 50 plus riders came in about 27 minutes back.

Another big group of about 40 riders at 37'26" which is presumably within the time.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    ASO and other organisers need to get commitment from local authorities to NOT resurface roads just before the race. It had to be a factor.

All that being said, 150+ other riders managed to not crash. Was the descent too dangerous?

Inrng saying on Twitter they did a bad job of the resurfacing, with uneven 'corrugated' surface in places.

Nieve crashed, we don't know if anyone else crashed, it doesn't mean they didn't, I doubt people further back were pushing so hard with the exception of the autobus.

Trentin rolled in hors delai on his own, others were coming in as small groups on Millar's clip. Wouldn't be surprised to learn an autobus never formed. People were shelled with some ferocity today (to the point where I wonder if the time cuts aren't a bit harsh on days like this).

No fun otherwise.

It's a race not a 3 week cycling holiday with a few prizes to dish out.

No problem with having a cutoff - just think they're possibly cut a bit short on the hardest stages, most noticeably when the attacks are full on for most of the day.
  • bobmcstuff
    ddraver wrote:
    @Mavic
    @UranRigoberto had a bent hanger + couldn't shift accurately. He asked our mechanic to put it in the 11t and we obliged. Congrats Rigo!

#Legend

OMG *cyclegasm*
    <3
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    Bringing this over from the stage 8 thread for any comments. :):wink:
    Are you guys getting any interviews with Aru?

Seems he doesn't speak to the Dutch press.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    It's not like G the other day, who seemed to simply not see a corner in front of him.

Thomas said in an interview that he was looking around trying to dish out water bottles and didn't see the corner. Pretty poor for a pro rider
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    OTLRenshawMarkDimension Data ,,
    OTLKonovalovasIgnatasFDJ ,,
    OTLGuarnieriJacopoFDJ ,,
    OTLDelageMickaëlFDJ ,,
    OTLDémareArnaudFDJ ,,
    OTLSaganJurajBORA - hansgrohe ,,
    OTLTrentinMatteoQuick-Step Floors ,,
    OTLvan EmdenJosTeam LottoNL-Jumbo
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Ooof. Heftig slijtage.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    OTLRenshawMarkDimension Data ,,
    OTLKonovalovasIgnatasFDJ ,,
    OTLGuarnieriJacopoFDJ ,,
    OTLDelageMickaëlFDJ ,,
    OTLDémareArnaudFDJ ,,
    OTLSaganJurajBORA - hansgrohe ,,
    OTLTrentinMatteoQuick-Step Floors ,,
    OTLvan EmdenJosTeam LottoNL-Jumbo

Not the best tactics from FDJ losing three other riders when it was pretty obvious that Demare was going to be in big trouble today.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532
    FDJ didn't think that through losing 4 riders.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    TheBigBean wrote:

it's mental, isn't. They should have pulled Demare straight away and told the others to get on with it.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

it's mental, isn't. They should have pulled Demare straight away and told the others to get on with it.
    Yeah, but you know what Madiot is like. The Tricolore must be honoured. He probably stood on the finish line singing La Marseillaise as they rode the last 100m.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

The weird bit is that Demare only had two with him when he went straight off the back. Were they really stupid enough to send another rider back to him?
  • salsiccia1
    Don't know if anyone's mentioned it, but fractured L1 vertebra for Gesink.
  • r0bh
    Thomas saying that Majka crashed in front of him and took him down:

http://www.velonews.com/2017/07/news/th ... ent_443190
  • above_the_cows
    Ooof. Heftig slijtage.

Voor FDJ, tsjonge jonge.
  • above_the_cows
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Don't know if anyone's mentioned it, but fractured L1 vertebra for Gesink.

Echt waar? Jammer. A col de la biche of a stage.
  • bobmcstuff
    adr82 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    r0bh wrote:
    Contador has dropped 2 minutes already.

What will the excuse be today..? Allergies again?
    From CN: "Contador, it transpires, received a heavy blow to the knee in the same crash that saw Thomas abandon. The Spaniard also hit the deck when Nairo Quintana bumped into him on the Grand Colombier."
    I assume he had to see his leg back on before bravely riding to the finish after losing 3 pints of blood.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    From the only website I could find to mention it (Colombian), Mori appears to have had a dislocated shoulder. Dodgy Google translate used, so if anyone speaks Spanish and can confirm:

Manuelle Mori (UAE) se cayó y se le salió el hombro, y, dando unos gritos tremendos tuvo que abandonar.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Bora saying things looking bleak for Majka - who is in back of ambulance (or medical truck in their tweet)
  • salsiccia1
    imatfaal wrote:
    Bora saying things looking bleak for Majka - who is in back of ambulance (or medical truck in their tweet)

How bleak?
  • r0bh
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    imatfaal wrote:

How bleak?

As far as I can find out he finished the stage (+36") but has now abandoned (maybe)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    imatfaal wrote:

How bleak?
    Apparently Kwiatkowski, who finished with him, said he was astonished that he was still in the race with his injuries.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    imatfaal wrote:

How bleak?

I think it is touch and go whether he will restart on Tuesday - they at least have a whole day to consider his medical condition
    Rafa will undergo further medical examinations at the hospital and the team will take a decision after making an assessment of his condition.

From Bora description of the stage
  • above_the_cows
    Carnage as the French like to say.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    edited July 2017
    delete
    www.dotcycling.com
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Dan Martin thinks he's basically okay:
    Crazy day on @LeTour Remarkably it seems I bounced well and I'm relatively ok. Sure to be sore tomorrow. Best wishes @richie_porte

The even better news is that if he can manage to catch the highlights on ITV4, there's about sixty firms willing to help him if he's had an accident that wasn't his fault.