TdF 2017: Stage 9 Nantua - Chambéry 181.5KM *Spoilers*

Comments

• ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Uran's emergency handling was excellent, could have very easily gone down there
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    Lunged too early. Time gaps are looking more normal now, I'm not sure Landa is fully committed to Froome's cause either.

Dan remarkably unmarked and sticking the blame firmly at the organiser's door. It does feel like they are trying to out Giro the Giro.
  • So worth watching the highlights then?
    I'd go for a full 5 hour replay tbh.

And I'm not really joking :D
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Dan Martin was very unlucky today. He would have had a great chance in that sprint.

Brave ride from him. Horrendous first crash, another we didn't see, and he still comes in only 1.15 down. Hat.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Pross
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Dan Martin was very unlucky today. He would have had a great chance in that sprint.

Brave ride from him. Horrendous first crash, another we didn't see, and he still comes in only 1.15 down. Hat.

Did he actually crash a second time? It seemed to just be Millar hearing that on race radio.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    imatfaal wrote:
    If LRP & G & others (too many out due to crashes) weren't in back of ambulance I would have said that was as perfect a weekend of racing as imaginable

Yes. Those crashes have taken the shine off for me.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • ShutupJens
    Pross wrote:
    Lunged too early. Time gaps are looking more normal now, I'm not sure Landa is fully committed to Froome's cause either.

Dan remarkably unmarked and sticking the blame firmly at the organiser's door. It does feel like they are trying to out Giro the Giro.

Not convinced by this, they tried it out in the dauphine and it was fine, resurfaced it for the tour. Any descent in those conditions is going to be dodge, same as the one where G went out
  • germcevoy
    germcevoy Posts: 414
    A shame that nobody seems to want to race Froome. Aru with a team mate and other GC contenders manage to isolate him and its Froomne himself that has a dig in the last few K's. A safe podium position is high enough for the rest.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    Any Demare update?
    Rich
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    @Mavic
    @UranRigoberto had a bent hanger + couldn't shift accurately. He asked our mechanic to put it in the 11t and we obliged. Congrats Rigo!

#Legend
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Pross wrote:

How so? Looks a balanced route to me.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Ummmm... did anyone else see Charley Wegelius having to do up his trousers when he got out of the car?
  • ddraver
    RichA wrote:
    Any Demare update?

Will depend on the size of the group he's in I reckon
    - @ddraver
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    Is it me or does uran look younger than 5 years ago
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    Pross wrote:

He might have a point if he'd said that after the Dauphine stage.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ShutupJens
    ddraver wrote:
    RichA wrote:
    Any Demare update?

Looking at how far the other sprinters managed to hang on I'd think the chances are that he didn't manage to get a group together
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Dan M's helmet kept him in the race.

DETaBL2XUAAP3l3.jpg:large

I trashed a Spec helmet in the same way and my head rang for an hour later. How he made it down safely and limited gap

Chapeau! in more ways than one
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    ShutupJens wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    RichA wrote:
    Any Demare update?

Looking at how far the other sprinters managed to hang on I'd think the chances are that he didn't manage to get a group together

Was reported as being outside the cut off time a long time ago with just two teammates and Renshaw for company. Doubt they'll have managed to get up to any autobus that did form.
  • above_the_cows
    Martin did crash a second time according to him.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    As uran crossed the line, he had 31km to go.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532
    Dan Martin confirmed that he crashed twice
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    If you factor in time bonuses it could've effectively cost him 1.29 vs Froome (10s for Martin and 4s less for Froome).
  • Pross
    ShutupJens wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Not convinced by this, they tried it out in the dauphine and it was fine, resurfaced it for the tour. Any descent in those conditions is going to be dodge, same as the one where G went out

I'm not convinced that was a good idea so close to the race. The bitumen binder leeches out of new surfacing for a while and can be very slippery when it gets wet. If it needed resurfacing they should have done it as soon as the snows had cleared to give it time to settle. The organiser's do seem to be trying to get downhill racing that increases the risk of people pushing too hard. I don't have that big an issue with it myself as I think technical skills are part of racing but it does seem to have been a deliberate move.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Is it me or does uran look younger than 5 years ago

Put a current photo of yourself and one from 5 years ago and we'll let you know.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Martin did crash a second time according to him.

Normally you'd add "and he should know", but having seen the state of his helmet I'm not so sure about that.
  • Pross

Wow, that's a wide line!

Seriously though, I started watching at pretty much that point. Demare may as well have saved the pain and got in a car hours ago.
  • above_the_cows
    Pross wrote:
    ShutupJens wrote:
    Pross wrote:

I'm not convinced that was a good idea so close to the race. The bitumen binder leeches out of new surfacing for a while and can be very slippery when it gets wet. If it needed resurfacing they should have done it as soon as the snows had cleared to give it time to settle. The organiser's do seem to be trying to get downhill racing that increases the risk of people pushing too hard. I don't have that big an issue with it myself as I think technical skills are part of racing but it does seem to have been a deliberate move.

Got to up the excitement levels for the full-stage coverage and the easily bored social media generation. Perhaps the organisers have decided this is the answer to all the criticisms of 'boring Tour' over the last few years.
  • ddraver
    Trouble with blaming the route is that Richie is rather good at falling off by himself as it is...
    - @ddraver
  • above_the_cows
    Pross wrote:

Wow, that's a wide line!

Seriously though, I started watching at pretty much that point. Demare may as well have saved the pain and got in a car hours ago.

You missed the World's Prettiest Road™ then.

prettyroadtdf.png
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Pross wrote:

Wow, that's a wide line!

You missed the World's Prettiest Road™ then.

prettyroadtdf.png
    If the local tourist board aren't paying you, they should be :lol: