2018 Transfers: Rumours + Facts

Comments

• meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433

Looks strong. Do you think it was part of the deal for Landa?
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    That was my thought.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,579
    RichN95 wrote:
    Lefevre making noises that he hasn't found a sponsor yet...
    Hasn't Bakala said in the past that if the worst came to the worst he'd prop the team up for a year?

Quickstep Team instagram saying a surprise announcement on Saturday...
  • lostboysaint
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • dish_dash wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Lefevre making noises that he hasn't found a sponsor yet...
    Hasn't Bakala said in the past that if the worst came to the worst he'd prop the team up for a year?

Quickstep Team instagram saying a surprise announcement on Saturday...

David de la Cruz to SKY - are SKY trying to put together a team that actually looks like they are enjoying themselves ??

DHa_zTDW0AAbcQt.jpg
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716

David de la Cruz to SKY - are SKY trying to put together a team that actually looks like they are enjoying themselves ??

They will still have Kiri to balance out any number of smiles with hundreds of kilometres of scowls. Altho from all accounts he is actually quite a laugh

Sky mentioned that their signings will be like London Buses - so can we expect another today?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,187
    Meanwhile, Quintana is marking his territory on twitter

Mi próximo compromiso representar a COL en el mundial de @bergen2017. En 2018 iré junto al @Movistar_Team por @LeTour

(Translated from Spanish by Bing)
    My next commitment represent COL in the @bergen2017 world. In 2018, I'll go along with the @Movistar_Team by @LeTour
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,217
    imatfaal wrote:
    Sky mentioned that their signings will be like London Buses - so can we expect another today?

Don't think so, de la Cruz was bus number 2 (Castroviejo was bus number 1)
  • RichN95.
    r0bh wrote:
    imatfaal wrote:

Isn't the phrase that London buses turn up in threes?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,198
    RichN95 wrote:
    r0bh wrote:
    imatfaal wrote:

I didn't think it was specific to London buses, but yes I thought that was the saying too...
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,627
    So with Sky's top sprinter now being van Poppel - does that mean they are going to try and sign a top tier sprinter, or perhaps as they tend to be more GC orientated, they might not bother?

They have GC contenders, and plenty for the one day classic attempts, or week long stage races.

Especially with the TDF going down to an 8 man team from next year - is it just the TDF, or all 3 GTs?

Wonder if McLay might sign for a big team anytime soon.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • lostboysaint
    Daniel B wrote:
    So with Sky's top sprinter now being van Poppel - does that mean they are going to try and sign a top tier sprinter, or perhaps as they tend to be more GC orientated, they might not bother?

They have GC contenders, and plenty for the one day classic attempts, or week long stage races.

Especially with the TDF going down to an 8 man team from next year - is it just the TDF, or all 3 GTs?

Have they had one for the last few years then?! ;)
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,627
    Daniel B wrote:

Have they had one for the last few years then?! ;)

Cutting!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • RichN95.
    Daniel B wrote:

Sky have been linked with Kristoffer Halvorsen, the Norwegian winner of the u23 Worlds Road Race last year who is a sprinter.
  • r0bh
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    r0bh wrote:
    imatfaal wrote:

I didn't think it was specific to London buses, but yes I thought that was the saying too...

"You wait ages for a [thing] and then two come along at once" was the saying I thought
  • meursault
    Daniel B wrote:

Been saying for ages, SKY are only TDF oriented. Their results anywhere else (Tour preparation aside) are not good.

Voltaire
  • r0bh
    meursault wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

Been saying for ages, SKY are only TDF oriented. Their results anywhere else (Tour preparation aside) are not good.

Yeah, I mean it's not as though they've won a monument each of the last two years is it... oh wait :roll:
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,919
    r0bh wrote:
    meursault wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

Yeah, I mean it's not as though they've won a monument each of the last two years is it... oh wait :roll:

Or indeed had 4 podiums at other GTs, 12 week long stage race victories and 8 podiums in classics. Oh, and a couple of world TT titles.
  • RichN95.
    meursault wrote:

Kwaitkowski alone has won Milan-San Remo, Strade Bianche and San Sebastien and been on the podium of Amstel Gold and LBL this season
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,579
    RichN95 wrote:
    meursault wrote:

Kwaitkowski alone has won Milan-San Remo, Strade Bianche and San Sebastien and been on the podium of Amstel Gold and LBL this season

Yeah, but some of us like to pretend he doesn't ride for Sky... :wink:
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,198
    r0bh wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    r0bh wrote:
    imatfaal wrote:

"You wait ages for a [thing] and then two come along at once" was the saying I thought
    I always thought it was three. E.g., https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn ... -avoid-it/

More googling suggests any number from two upwards is used though. I can't believe I googled sayings about buses...
  • meursault
    Podiums pffft.

Voltaire
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,173
    Vermote to Dimension Data.

Coquard, plus 14 others including Bert de Backer and Kris Boeckmans, confirmed for Pineau's Vital Concept backed team.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,198
    andyp wrote:

He only does well in regions with 'heavy' roads, does Vermote.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,173
    Just noticed Johan Le Bon is among those moving to Vital Concept. He's always struck me as someone who has the potential to develop in to a decent classics rider.
  • lyn1
    lyn1 Posts: 261
    andyp wrote:

He only does well in regions with 'heavy' roads, does Vermote.

The problem they identified on the cobbles was that other than Bernie, there was no-one to support EBH and Thwaites in the last 150k +. They were looking for someone to provide that support much further into the race.

Presumably Slagter has been signed as a replacement for Haas or Fraile
  • Vital Concept

Bryan Coquard
    Yohan Bagot
    Kris Boeckmans
    Bert De Backer
    Corentin Ermenault
    Marc Fournier
    Steven Lammertink
    Johan Le Bon
    Jérémy Lecroq
    Lorenzo Manzin
    Justin Mottier
    Julien Morice
    Quentin Pacher
    Kévin Reza
    Jonas Van Genechten
    + Five other riders
  • rick_chasey
    lyn1 wrote:

The problem they identified on the cobbles was that other than Bernie, there was no-one to support EBH and Thwaites in the last 150k+.

:lol::lol:
  • lyn1
    lyn1 Posts: 261
    lyn1 wrote:

The problem they identified on the cobbles was that other than Bernie, there was no-one to support EBH and Thwaites in the last 150k+.

:lol::lol:

Unfortunately, Yep. They do not have many decent classics riders and guys were out of their depth and shelled very quickly. There were usually only 3 left by the half way point. Once Bernie pulled off, Thwaites was unnecessarily used up supporting EBH far earlier than ideal.
  • rick_chasey
    ^^ The man speaketh sense.