Forum home Road cycling forum Pro race

2018 Transfers: Rumours + Facts

dish_dashdish_dash Posts: 4,982
edited February 2018 in Pro race
May as well get this one started. Thread to speculate about and confirm where riders (and teams) end up next season.

Some big big names are looking for new contracts next season. Could see major change at Sky, QS, Lotto, and Cannondale...

Riders with contracts expiring this year apparently include:

Geraint Thomas (Team Sky)
Michał Kwiatkowski (Team Sky)
Mikel Landa (Team Sky)
Kenny Elissonde (Team Sky)
Mikel Nieve (Team Sky)
Ian Stannard (Team Sky)
Danny Van Poppel (Team Sky)
Philip Diegnan (Team Sky)
Michal Golas (Team Sky)
Vasil Kiryienka (Team Sky)
Ian Boswell (Team Sky)
Christian Knees (Team Sky)
Peter Kennaugh (Team Sky)
Dan Martin (Quick-Step Floors)
Niki Terpstra (Quick-Step Floors)
Julian Alaphilippe (Quick-Step Floors)
Bob Jungels (Quick-Step Floors)
Jack Bauer (Quick-Step Floors)
Philippe Gilbert (Quick-Step Floors)
Zdenek Stybar (Quick-Step Floors)
Marcel Kittel (Quick-Step Floors)
Fabio Aru (Astana)
Rigoberto Uran (Cannondale-Drapac)
Tom Jelte Slagter (Cannondale -Drapac)
Davide Formolo (Cannondale-Drapac)
Pierre Rolland (Cannondale-Drapac)
Simon Clarke (Cannondale-Drapac)
Dylan van Baarle (Cannondale-Drapac)
Michael Woods (Cannondale-Drapac)
Ryan Mullen (Cannondale-Drapac)
Alex Howes (Cannondale-Drapac)
Toms Skujins (Cannondale-Drapac)
Stephen Cummings (Dimension Data)
Daniel Teklehaimanot (Dimension Data)
Youcef Reguigui (Dimension Data)
Mekseb Debesay (Dimension Data)
Nathan Haas (Dimension Data)
Alexander Kristoff (Katusha-Alpecin)
Ilnur Zakarin (Katusha-Alpecin)
Michael Hepburn (Orica-Scott)
Simon Gerrans (Orica-Scott)
Chris Juul Jensen (Orica-Scott)
Magnus Cort (Orica-Scott)
Sam Bennett (Bora-Hansgrohe)
Louis Meintjes (UAE Abu Dhabi)
Marko Kump (UAE Abu Dhabi)
Jonathan Castroviejo (Movistar)
Edward Theuns (Trek-Segafredo)
Jurgen Roelandts (Lotto Soudal)
Tony Gallopin (Lotto Soudal)
Jelle Vanendert (Lotto Soudal)
Rafael Valls (Lotto Soudal)
Maxime Monfort (Lotto Soudal)
Sander Armee (Lotto Soudal)
Kris Boeckmans (Lotto Soudal)
Sean De Bie (Lotto Soudal)
Bart De Clercq (Lotto Soudal)
Frederik Frison (Lotto Soudal)
Tomasz Marczynski (Lotto Soudal)
Jelle Wallays (Lotto Soudal)
Ben Hermans (BMC Racing)
Richie Porte (BMC Racing)
Ryan Anderson (Direct Energie)
Tsgabu Grmay (Bahrain Merida)
Dan McLay (Fortuneo-Vitel Concept)
Nacer Bouhanni (Cofidis)
Luis Angel Mate (Cofidis)
Julien Simon (Cofidis)
Javier Moreno (Bahrain Merida)
«13456720

Posts

  • andypandyp Posts: 8,355
    dish_dash wrote:
    Some big big names are looking for new contracts next season. Could see major change at Sky, QS, Lotto, and Cannondale...
    Maybe they could sign some riders who know how to actually win races.
  • m.r.m.m.r.m. Posts: 2,035
    Let's say Geraint Thomas gets 3rd this year at the Giro. Would you resign him if you were running Sky?
    PTP Champion 2019
  • RichN95.RichN95. Posts: 24,276
    m.r.m. wrote:
    Let's say Geraint Thomas gets 3rd this year at the Giro. Would you resign him if you were running Sky?
    I'd resign him regardless
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ProssPross Posts: 25,404
    I'd re-sign him, surely only he can resign? ;)
  • Geraint has a seat on the Sky bus for as long as the wheels of the bus go round and round
  • m.r.m.m.r.m. Posts: 2,035
    I'm not sure he actually has the engine to be a top tier GC contender. I'd re-sign (Pross :P) as him well, but I do wonder what the cut off point would be in terms of results. I wonder if you couldn't possibly sign Esteban Chaves or one of the Yates brothers for less than he is making as a Froome domestique and possible successor.
    PTP Champion 2019
  • andypandyp Posts: 8,355
    m.r.m. wrote:
    I'm not sure he actually has the engine to be a top tier GC contender. I'd re-sign (Pross :P) as him well, but I do wonder what the cut off point would be in terms of results. I wonder if you couldn't possibly sign Esteban Chaves or one of the Yates brothers for less than he is making as a Froome domestique and possible successor.

    Of the Yates twins, Sky can only sign Adam Yates, and I doubt that'll happen.
  • yourpaceormineyourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    Geraint has a seat on the Sky bus for as long as the wheels of the bus go round and round

    Altogether now...

    The Geraint on the bus goes Weeeeelsh cakes, Weeeeelsh cakes etc
  • dish_dashdish_dash Posts: 4,982
    Bouhanni stays at Cofidis for another 2 years on the same dough apparently...
  • rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 52,620 Lives Here
    dish_dash wrote:
    Bouhanni stays at Cofidis for another 2 years on the same dough apparently...

    Boy done good.
  • milton50milton50 Posts: 3,856
    "BMC to bolster Classics line-up after Van Avermaet 'let down' at Amstel"

    "We will strengthen the traditional core around Greg," Peiper added. "At least two classics riders are coming in. The profile? Guys who can assist Greg in the final and who are able eventually to take over the torch from him."

    Not many riders who can offer genuine help in the finale but are young enough to take over the mantle in a few years. Stuyven maybe? Naesen?
  • andypandyp Posts: 8,355
    milton50 wrote:
    Not many riders who can offer genuine help in the finale but are young enough to take over the mantle in a few years. Stuyven maybe? Naesen?

    Both Stuyven and Naesen have contracts for next year with their current teams.
  • rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 52,620 Lives Here
    milton50 wrote:
    "BMC to bolster Classics line-up after Van Avermaet 'let down' at Amstel"

    "We will strengthen the traditional core around Greg," Peiper added. "At least two classics riders are coming in. The profile? Guys who can assist Greg in the final and who are able eventually to take over the torch from him."

    Not many riders who can offer genuine help in the finale but are young enough to take over the mantle in a few years. Stuyven maybe? Naesen?

    It'll be one of the lotto boys.
  • RichN95.RichN95. Posts: 24,276
    Gazzetta are reporting that Egan Bernal has signed for Sky for next year.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddlesblazing_saddles Posts: 16,122
    RichN95 wrote:
    Gazzetta are reporting that Egan Bernal has signed for Sky for next year.


    http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racin ... ear-328657

    When will these, young talented riders realise, it's not about the money, care and expertise, it's about keeping forum groupies happy. Already much wailing and gnashing of teeth amongst the CN kindergarten.
    Sky need to sign up David Gaudu, next. :P
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • andyracandyrac Posts: 508
    In Cross, Tom Meeusen has moved/ or will be moving from Telenet-Fidea to Beobank-Corendon; and they've also signed British junior Ben Turner.


    All Road/ Gravel: tbc
    WInter: Trek Domane ALR3
    MTB: Canyon Grand Canyon 8.0
    Road: tbc
  • dish_dashdish_dash Posts: 4,982
    Apparently Bryan Coquard is leaving Direct Energie. Presumably in search of a WT team... wonder who might sign him
  • bobmcstuffbobmcstuff Posts: 9,134
    Apparently Dumoulin has extended with Sunweb.

    Interesting to see what else they do with the team as they need a stronger GT team to support Dumoulin IMO.
  • ShadowriderShadowrider Posts: 483
    I think Sky will move on 7 or 8 riders this year.

    I also think Bob Jungels will be riding for Sky next year, and Tom D the year after that.
  • The_BoyThe_Boy Posts: 3,099
    I think Sky will move on 7 or 8 riders this year.

    I also think Bob Jungels will be riding for Sky next year, and Tom D the year after that.

    The same Tom D who's apparently just extended with sunweb until 2021?
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • bobmcstuffbobmcstuff Posts: 9,134
    I think Sky will move on 7 or 8 riders this year.

    I also think Bob Jungels will be riding for Sky next year, and Tom D the year after that.
    I don't- Dumoulin's extension with Sunweb apparently till 2021.

    Edit - teach me not to read the last page before replying...
  • ShadowriderShadowrider Posts: 483
    The_Boy wrote:
    I think Sky will move on 7 or 8 riders this year.

    I also think Bob Jungels will be riding for Sky next year, and Tom D the year after that.

    The same Tom D who's apparently just extended with sunweb until 2021?

    If the money is right it will happen. Sky need a rider to replace Froome long term and Tom D fits that bill.

    And he's not signed but said he would be open to doing so. But if Sky come in with their resources, he has a real chance of winning the Tour, he won't do that at Giant.
  • wombly_kneeswombly_knees Posts: 657
    Dan Summerhill of UHC, who recently won a stage in the Tour of Japan, nominates himself for the dumbest f*ck in the cycling world with this.
  • Strange as it may seem, crazy idea though it is, it is and will be possible for a rider like TomDum to win the Tour without riding for Sky

    I am also unconvinced that Sky will renew sponsorship beyond the current term
  • dish_dashdish_dash Posts: 4,982
    Been away and catching up on the podcast, Doug Ryder making pretty clear that he's working to bring Louis Meintjes back to Team DD/Qhubeka.
  • dish_dashdish_dash Posts: 4,982
    dish_dash wrote:
    Apparently Bryan Coquard is leaving Direct Energie. Presumably in search of a WT team... wonder who might sign him

    Rumours that he might head to a new French team being put together by Jerome Pineau
  • which reminds me, with the news re Fortuneo-Vital Concept, Dan McLay shouldn't be lacking offers
  • dish_dashdish_dash Posts: 4,982
    which reminds me, with the news re Fortuneo-Vital Concept, Dan McLay shouldn't be lacking offers

    off to Team Sky? :lol::lol::lol:
  • rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 52,620 Lives Here
    Quick Step gonna stay for nowz, though not a done deal yet.

    http://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20170530_02905288
  • inseineinseine Posts: 5,772
    dish_dash wrote:
    Been away and catching up on the podcast, Doug Ryder making pretty clear that he's working to bring Louis Meintjes back to Team DD/Qhubeka.
    and then a black African GC rider? That would be a breath of fresh air for the sport.
Sign In or Register to comment.