• Catalunya's usually cray, weather-wise
  • Shadowrider
    Shadowrider Posts: 483
    BMC now winners and Herman leader.
  • EnacheV
    EnacheV Posts: 235
    BMC now winners and Herman leader.

good

if french can send Bardet home for sticky cars then it's the normal thing to do here. curious how mnay minutes penalty for Movistar.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    TTT pushing rules - glad they have finally followed rules to the letter - they're not ambiguous - so why try and bend them - just makes the organisers look like they're cheating!

TTT pushing rules 2 - I can't see why pushing is such a bad thing? Cycling is an individual team sport - there's no other sport like it - for TTT it's fastest x riders to the finish - it shouldn't matter how that's physically achieved - so long as there's no motors or short cuts involved .. Ok, perhaps by doing so you're getting your less able TTer to the finish faster so he can go climbing mountains tomorrow - but that's it isn't it? It's a team event - or perhaps it isn't...
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    According to Cycling News (yes, I know) the French version of the rule punishes the individual riders doing the pushing, but the English version of the rule punishes the team...

WTAF?
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    edited March 2017
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    According to Cycling News (yes, I know) the French version of the rule punishes the individual riders doing the pushing, but the English version of the rule punishes the team...

WTAF?

1’ de pénalité au classement de l’étape à chaque coureur de l’équipe et 200 par coureur impliqué

free translation
    1' penalty in the stage classification to each rider of the team and 200 per rider involved

So No it is the same. And Cycling News are talking bollox

taken from http://fr.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/Rulesandregulation/16/26/68/12-DIS-20170202-F_French.PDF
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    imatfaal wrote:
    And Cycling News are talking bollox

say it ain't so...
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    imatfaal wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

WTAF?

1’ de pénalité au classement de l’étape à chaque coureur de l’équipe et 200 par coureur impliqué

free translation
    1' penalty in the stage classification stage to each rider of the team and 200 per rider involved

So No it is the same. And Cycling News are talking bollox

taken from http://fr.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/Rulesandregulation/16/26/68/12-DIS-20170202-F_French.PDF

No surprises there then :roll:

Merci beaucoup
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    dish_dash wrote:
    imatfaal wrote:

say it ain't so...
    But they have the best sources Twitter can find.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,391
    Slowbike wrote:
    TTT pushing rules - glad they have finally followed rules to the letter - they're not ambiguous - so why try and bend them - just makes the organisers look like they're cheating!

TTT pushing rules 2 - I can't see why pushing is such a bad thing? Cycling is an individual team sport - there's no other sport like it - for TTT it's fastest x riders to the finish - it shouldn't matter how that's physically achieved - so long as there's no motors or short cuts involved .. Ok, perhaps by doing so you're getting your less able TTer to the finish faster so he can go climbing mountains tomorrow - but that's it isn't it? It's a team event - or perhaps it isn't...

A gap was appearing which would have meant either the rider struggling would get dropped and the last rider in the line would also have to work harder to close the gap left,
    or,
    both riders would have been dropped as the rider being pushed couldn't hold the wheel.

Either way, the remaining riders would have to all work harder.
    Thier time was therefore faster than it would have been without the pushing.
  • dish_dash
    RichN95 wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    imatfaal wrote:

say it ain't so...
    But they have the best sources Twitter can find.

:lol:
  • slowbike
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

A gap was appearing which would have meant either the rider struggling would get dropped and the last rider in the line would also have to work harder to close the gap left,
    or,
    both riders would have been dropped as the rider being pushed couldn't hold the wheel.

Either way, the remaining riders would have to all work harder.
    Thier time was therefore faster than it would have been without the pushing.

The gap looked like the back end marker wanted the other rider to move in leaving him at the back - the push looked like no more than a short shuv to get them back into line - I get that it's against the rules - I just don't see the point in it being against the rules.
    Ultimately you could have each rider taking it in turns to push the protected rider - saving his legs for the following stages - but that's the point of the team isn't it? Unless the rule is there to discourage too much physical contact between riders - which has the potential for being quite dangerous?
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,973
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Pfft.

This is something that the UCI would do well to sort out.

Winning by jury is rubbish. It was rubbish on the ventoux, and it's still rubbish now.

It cannot be that hard for a TTT to have a commisare following each TTT. If he doesn't spot anything cheating (with the exception of doping) by the time they finish, the time stands. Can do all the bike checks etc beforehand.

The rules can't be that difficult to sort out. Honestly.
  • slowbike
    actually - looking at the video GCN shared on facebook - same as linked above - the first "push" looks like it could be just a "I'm here" push as the rider pulls into the group - may be not realising where his last teammate is - the group is at the side of the road and could've easily ended up with the last guy in the ditch.
    Less of an excuse for the second one though ...
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    Irrespective of the rights or wrongs of the decision, the race is now poised nicely with the BMC trio of Sanchez, TJVG and Dennis fending off Sky, Movistar and Trek for the remaining stages.
  • Spanish cycling fans on the Twatter, accepting it gracefully as you would imagine
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Slowbike wrote:
    actually - looking at the video GCN shared on facebook - same as linked above - the first "push" looks like it could be just a "I'm here" push as the rider pulls into the group - may be not realising where his last teammate is - the group is at the side of the road and could've easily ended up with the last guy in the ditch.
    Less of an excuse for the second one though ...

Where the rider at the back just nudges the rider dropping back into the paceline in front of them because they're not capable of doing a turn on the front should be fine IMO.

Pushing a rider along is not fine according to the rules, but I have to say I don't really care about it!
  • RichN95.
    andyp wrote:
    Irrespective of the rights or wrongs of the decision, the race is now poised nicely with the BMC trio of Sanchez, TJVG and Dennis fending off Sky, Movistar and Trek for the remaining stages.
    Indeed. Valverde was (still is) likely to pick up at least 20 seconds in bonus seconds which would made it difficult for anyone to overcome. TJVG and Dennis less difficult. The likes of Contador remain in contention.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    I am gutted for both Valverde and Vino's G..........not.
    Not often the correct application of the rules improves the prospects of attacking racing, but this is one instance.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/movista ... t-penalty/

Seems the good folks on CN only get sympathetic and defensive towards teams who actually break the rules.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • '...team director Jose Luis Arrieta hinted strongly that Movistar could take a more passive attitude than usual in the Volta from hereon when he told Biciciclismo before the start that “we’ll be in the race, but we may not be there.”

El sulkz :D
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    I thought he was describing Valverde's normal riding style.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    We need a handy reference guide of what UCI rules should and shouldn't be applied. Actually, it would probably need to be a matrix of rules versus teams :roll:
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    r0bh wrote:
    We need a handy reference guide of what UCI rules should and shouldn't be applied. Actually, it would probably need to be a matrix of rules versus teams :roll:

This can be added to the list of unwritten rules that seem more important than the written ones.
  • RichN95.
    r0bh wrote:
    Rule 1: I reserve my right to completely change my mind from one incident to the next
  • EnacheV
    EnacheV Posts: 235
    Landa and Rosa again crap

from the "good at Astana crap out of Astana" series ...
  • dish_dash
    Valverde takes it from Martin...
  • dish_dash wrote:
    Valverde takes it from Martin...

With the standard response of me shaking my fist and shouting 'GAH' at the screen
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Strong finish by Martin though, non?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    Cor blimey, that was another waste of mountain time.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.