Volta a Catalunya *spoilers*

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    You just gotta love the Spanish spirit of fair play.
    No wonder they applaud successful diving in the penalty box.
    So, they get the race leader they wanted and look as if the actually took a stance on the cheating.
    Hilarious.

C7dN9z7WwAIjtay.jpg
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    If this was Sky in the Tour of Britain MPs would call for a public enquiry
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,339
    andyp wrote:
    http://www.procyclingstats.com/statistics.php?code=riders-active-riders-victory-ranking

He's 13th, and the youngest rider in the top 20, of the current riders victory ranking.
    I'd expect Sagan to catch Cav, but I wonder if Greipel will overtake Cavendish at the end of their careers?
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    Confusion about Trek's time. The official timings seem to have added an extra minute to their time, and an extra 45s on to Contador for good measure (did he get tailed off?)
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    Senõr Hairplugs* is involved, are any of you surprised?

*housewives' favourite, to steal a phrase from Half Man Half Biscuit
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:
    Confusion about Trek's time. The official timings seem to have added an extra minute to their time, and an extra 45s on to Contador for good measure (did he get tailed off?)
    They're corrected it now. Back to normal.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,597
    Real shame they didn't apply the minute rule to all team members, if nothing else it would open up the race again.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • RichN95.
    They've added a 2 minute penalty for Amador and 1 minute for Oliviera.

They're making it up as they go along.
  • Shadowrider
    Shadowrider Posts: 483
    EnacheV wrote:
    ridiculous

always in Spain , spanish riders or members of spanish teams are blatantly favoured.

This
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,564
    Amateur hour. FFS
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    You just gotta love the Spanish spirit of fair play.
    No wonder they applaud successful diving in the penalty box.
    So, they get the race leader they wanted and look as if the actually took a stance on the cheating.
    Hilarious.

C7dN9z7WwAIjtay.jpg

Isn't that open to misunderstanding though?

Question.......'Each rider involved'..could mean the ones involved in the pushing. Not necessarily the whole team?

I am certainly no Valverde fan, but if Sky bent the rules like this and got away with it, I think lots would see it differently.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,564
    No. I min per rider in the team.

A fine for each one actually doing it on top of that time penalty.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • RichN95.
    Markwb79 wrote:
    I am certainly no Valverde fan, but if Sky bent the rules like this and got away with it, I think lots would see it differently.
    But they haven't got away with it. The commissaires have found them guilty of the offence - it's just that the punishment is different to the one clearly laid down in the rules.
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    RichN95 wrote:
    Markwb79 wrote:
    But they haven't got away with it. The commissaires have found them guilty of the offence - it's just that the punishment is different to the one clearly laid down in the rules.

Then why don't the teams come out and protest about it?

Surely calling it out in public will make the UCI or whoever act?
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Markwb79 wrote:

Isn't that open to misunderstanding though?

Question.......'Each rider involved'..could mean the ones involved in the pushing. Not necessarily the whole team?

It does not say "Each rider involved" - it says "each rider in the team". The section following the + is the monetary penalty and you can see that the groups punished with time and with a fine are not necessarily the same (the sanction immediately above is also different personnel for time penalty and monetary fine).
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Just from the clips it looked more like helping place the rider back in line with little more than a touch. Commissars could've chosen the do nothing tbh
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Seems fair to me.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Boyos calm down if getting a tue to shoot up peds in order to win is ok why does this offend so much?? Lmfao
  • RichN95.
    Markwb79 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Markwb79 wrote:

BMC have protested it. Another meeting this evening.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918
    The UCI rules seem very clear. If the race organizers don't correctly apply such rules then the UCI should withdraw their sanctioning of the race.

The Spanish are very happy to condone cheating when it favours their teams / sportsbods.
  • EnacheV
    EnacheV Posts: 235
    late night meeting

jury president might have tried to save Valverde but the rules are so fkin clear that it can't be ignored

imagine 8 sky pushers getting 50 min penalty while Froome gets 2-3 minutes in GC :)
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Aren't the commissaires supposed to be provided by UCI and independent of the race to avoid any potential for bias or missinterpretation of the rules?
    Shame that the UCI is such a bunch of numpties.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    RichN95 wrote:
    Markwb79 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Markwb79 wrote:

Good luck to the next BMC rider who crashes and needs to get back on the peloton....
  • Vino'sGhost
    RichN95 wrote:
    Markwb79 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Markwb79 wrote:

Good luck to the next BMC rider who crashes and needs to get back on the peloton....

Yup
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:
    Markwb79 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Markwb79 wrote:

Maybe Simon Clarke will be on hand to give them a wheel

I don't think you can blame BMC for wanting the rules applied
  • blazing_saddles
    Seems fair to me.

Well, of course it would.............

http://www.velonews.com/2017/03/news/mo ... tch_433280
    Why? Imagine for a moment that Team Sky designated a rider to sit at the back of a team time trial at the Tour de France and push every rider except Chris Froome back into the slipstream. All these riders would pile up one-minute penalties, but who cares? Froome wouldn’t, and his TTT would be faster for it.

............But not for long is my guess.
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Markwb79 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Markwb79 wrote:

Maybe Simon Clarke will be on hand to give them a wheel

I don't think you can blame BMC for wanting the rules applied

Did I say otherwise?
  • Quite challenging tomorrow - how is the Gaudurator(at 20!) going to go in his first WT race?

C5Ct7gVXUAEv8nX.jpg

There's some talent in the white jersey with Soler Latour Oomen and Yates etc - Soler and Gaudu last two GC's from Avenir

This should suit them on stage 5

-volta-ciclista-a-catalunya-2017-stage-5-1489937902.jpg
  • blazing_saddles
    Quite challenging tomorrow - how is the Gaudurator(at 20!) going to go in his first WT race?

There's some talent in the white jersey with Soler Latour Oomen and Yates etc - Soler and Gaudu last two GC's from Avenir

This should suit them on stage 5

-volta-ciclista-a-catalunya-2017-stage-5-1489937902.jpg

And, after that mega long TTT, the all important weather forecast for stage 5 is..........................

C7gQ5V4XkAA5LEh.jpg

:oops: :oops: :lol::lol:
  • rick_chasey
    Good training for last year's liege, right?