Volta a Catalunya *spoilers*

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    Anyway, I can't see Bouhanni featuring today.

I read somewhere that today's TTT has the time taken on the 4th rider to cross the line, rather than the 5th as is usual. Which should make it a bit more tactically interesting than your normal TTT.
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    Milton50 wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    I like Bouhanni, sprinters should be a bit ballsy and full of self confidence, and he is. Somewhat contrarily though, I like it when he gets beaten by FDJ riders other than Demare. It must really p!ss him off.

The problem for him though is that if you are a bit cocky and aggressive, but don't back it up with results, then you just end up looking like a bit of a be!lend.

Whilst he has racked up a fair few wins, he hasn't really won anything against the top drawer sprinters. There was a stage in the Vuelta that he won ahead of Sagan and Matthews, but apart from that I'm struggling to think of him outsprinting Greipel et al.

What became of the pre TdF fracas? Did it ever go anywhere in the court's or did it just get forgotten about?
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    He still seems considerably better than Viviani on the road. Can't recall Viviani ever winning anything meaningful on the road to justify his occasional team captain status.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    M.R.M. wrote:
    He still seems considerably better than Viviani on the road. Can't recall Viviani ever winning anything meaningful on the road to justify his occasional team captain status.
    Yeah, but Bouhanni has a team built around him. Viviani is more an afterthought who can make do with one rider to support him.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    andyp wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:
    The problem for him though is that if you are a bit cocky and aggressive, but don't back it up with results, then you just end up looking like a bit of a be!lend.

53 pro wins at the age of 26, including 5 GT stages would suggest that he does back it up with results.

He doesn't.
  • yourpaceormine
    Only just realised Hugh Cathy is riding. Wasn't he in the top ten last year, 9th or so? Wonder if he'll be allowed to ride this year, or if he will be subservient to Talansky.
  • RichN95.
    Only just realised Hugh Cathy is riding. Wasn't he in the top ten last year, 9th or so? Wonder if he'll be allowed to ride this year, or if he will be subservient to Talansky.
    Cannondale's meagre ambitions will no doubt be determined by the TTT today. If they lose 2mins+, it'll be stage hunting all round.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Cannondale's meagre ambitions will no doubt be determined by the TTT today. If they lose 2mins+, it'll be stage hunting all round.

Ah. The glory days of Garmin Slipstream (and all its name incarnations) smashing TTTs seems looong ago
  • yourpaceormine
    Oh the jolly japes that feckinautocorrect throws up Sagan = Satan, Carthy = Cathy. My how we laughed. Not.

But more importantly will Radcliffe and Maconie be giving race updates on 6 Music? Got to be better to listen to than CK.
  • RichN95.
    Oh the jolly japes that feckinautocorrect throws up Sagan = Satan, Carthy = Cathy. My how we laughed. Not.

But more importantly will Radcliffe and Maconie be giving race updates on 6 Music? Got to be better to listen to than CK.
    I saw Chris Groomed on here yesterday.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    RichN95 wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:
    Yeah, but Bouhanni has a team built around him. Viviani is more an afterthought who can make do with one rider to support him.
    That's fair.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:
    Ah. The glory days of Garmin Slipstream (and all its name incarnations) smashing TTTs seems looong ago
    And they're 1 min 53 down on BMC at the half way point.
  • yourpaceormine
    RichN95 wrote:

I saw Chris Groomed on here yesterday.

One of mine. I blame having a new phone which has not been taught the language of the professional sport of cycling (™ Paul Sherwin)
  • yourpaceormine
    BMC 48:57
  • RichN95.
    BMC 48:57
    I expect that will win. Few will be under 50 minutes.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Both teams I have seen finish seem to have crossed the line as a full team - I would have thought they would have dropped a few; or is it too long a tt to risk that (ie personal elimination)?
  • imatfaal
    Saying that - SKY just jettisoned Diego Rosa
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Is the clock stopping on 4th (as has been mentioned on this forum) or 5th, which Carlton K keeps talking about? If the former it would be funny listening to Carlton going mental about a team only having four riders finish. Sadly the whole teams finishing together probably mean we won't get to see that.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    edited March 2017
    I doubt that TJVG can win with a minute and a bit head start.
    Dennis? Not sure.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • yourpaceormine
    edited March 2017
    Nice aerial shot, gives the impression of speed.
    Sky @halfway down on BMC. 2s?
    Edit 22s.
  • yourpaceormine
    squired wrote:
    Is the clock stopping on 4th (as has been mentioned on this forum) or 5th, which Carlton K keeps talking about? If the former it would be funny listening to Carlton going mental about a team only having four riders finish. Sadly the whole teams finishing together probably mean we won't get to see that.
    Pretty sure it is 4th. Read it somewhere else too
  • yourpaceormine
    Lotto Jumbo 50:43
  • RichN95.
    Dennis? Not sure.
    It might depend on who Sky are riding for. If it's Thomas, that suits Dennis & TJ. If it's Froome, then that's a problem for them. And Contador can't wait for one big attack either.
  • blazing_saddles
    RichN95 wrote:
    Dennis? Not sure.
    It might depend on who Sky are riding for. If it's Thomas, that suits Dennis & TJ. If it's Froome, then that's a problem for them. And Contador can't wait for one big attack either.

Dennis lost a chunk of time on the Terminillo to Thomas.
    3 climbs tomorrow and Friday.
    Hard to call.

Samu may be hard to shift.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    oooft shipped one from Sky
  • yourpaceormine
    AG2R 51:10
  • imatfaal
    edited March 2017
    ag2r finished with 4 and clock stopped. down about 2mins
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    hahahahaha conversation about tube crushing
  • blazing_saddles
    Meanwhile, Kirby doesn't realise that it's 4 men counting today.
    He puts so much effort into getting his race info sorted. :oops:
  • imatfaal
    oooft shipped one from Sky

I think Landa got back on as it turned up hill