CMS hearings into the alleged culture of doping and bullying at British Cycling

Comments

• Shadowrider
    Shadowrider Posts: 483
    r0bh wrote:
    AK_jnr wrote:
    How much would he of been given for that little interview?

Sweet FA I expect; I don't think the BBC are allowed to pay for interviews (although I could be wrong on that).

They can pay, normally you negotiate an "appearance fee"
  • CuthbertC
    CuthbertC Posts: 172
    Brailsford in 2011:
    It’s like the no-needles policy. I think that is absolutely great but how’s it being enforced? I’ve spoken to Pat [McQuaid, UCI president] and I told him the UCI needs to get out here and enforce it. Where are they? They need to be on the buses. There are 20 teams, how hard can it be to have an observer on each bus? That’s your window of opportunity for recovery there, between the finish and the hotel, so get someone on the buses.

Freeman in 2011:
    I ask what he makes of the UCI’s new no-needles policy. “I think it’s fantastic,” he says. “It takes away a large window of opportunity for a lot of products. It means that there are no short cuts to proper rest and recovery. And it also removes that ladder of progression. If riders get used to vitamin injections as a matter of routine, it makes it easier to not question what’s in the syringe.”

Sky failing to practice what they preach for the umpteenth time. Shocker.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    CuthbertC wrote:

There's a discussion to be had on just how important this is.

No one is going to be holding Coca Cola to account for their abject failure in teaching the world to sing, however if it was revealed that the Co-operative bank invested in the international arms trade it would be reasonable to have issue with it.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    CuthbertC wrote:
    Brailsford in 2011:
    It’s like the no-needles policy. I think that is absolutely great but how’s it being enforced? I’ve spoken to Pat [McQuaid, UCI president] and I told him the UCI needs to get out here and enforce it. Where are they? They need to be on the buses. There are 20 teams, how hard can it be to have an observer on each bus? That’s your window of opportunity for recovery there, between the finish and the hotel, so get someone on the buses.

Freeman in 2011:
    I ask what he makes of the UCI’s new no-needles policy. “I think it’s fantastic,” he says. “It takes away a large window of opportunity for a lot of products. It means that there are no short cuts to proper rest and recovery. And it also removes that ladder of progression. If riders get used to vitamin injections as a matter of routine, it makes it easier to not question what’s in the syringe.”

Since by Edmonson's own admission he acted alone and Sky ditched him as soon as they found out (although they didn't report it, which I feel they should have - although it sounds like a difficult one if he was as bad as he's suggested), I don't really see the contradiction there.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    CuthbertC wrote:
    Brailsford in 2011:

Freeman in 2011:

You mean "Sky Rider failing to....Etc"

I know it's the internet and truth is barely relevant but personally i try to hold myself to some sort of honest standard
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,702
    Scenario 1) Had Sky reported JE to the UCI at the time, the usual suspects would have been shouting about it being a cynical PR move, just smoke to cover up their doping.
    Scenario 2) Had Sky reported JE to the UCI and said nothing, the usual suspects would now be shouting about the UCI being in Sky's pocket, helping to cover up their doping.
    Scenario 3) Where we are now, with the usual suspects complaining that Sky did not did not go down the scenario 1 or 2 route.
    No reference to the one, optimistic fact must be made.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Scenario 1) Had Sky reported JE to the UCI at the time, the usual suspects would have been shouting about it being a cynical PR move, just smoke to cover up their doping.
    Scenario 2) Had Sky reported JE to the UCI and said nothing, the usual suspects would now be shouting about the UCI being in Sky's pocket, helping to cover up their doping.
    Scenario 3) Where we are now, with the usual suspects complaining that Sky did not did not go down the scenario 1 or 2 route.

You are very keen on telling people what they would have done as well as accusing them of answering questions you didn't ask.

Reasonable thing for them to have done would have been to report it and put a programme of support in place for the rider. If Edmondson is telling the truth they had a duty to report it and committed an offence by not doing so.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • EnacheV
    EnacheV Posts: 235
    this Peters doc should be give a rise, awesome guy, also MP's should stay the fk out of the private owned stuff

better for MP's to check how the tax money are burned by the totally crap BBC entity. Salaries for idiots like Dan Roan who tweets lies like this:

https://twitter.com/danroan/status/842633039935102976
    Dr Peters told me Sky didn't report Edmondson needle case due to concern over his mental state. Yet weeks later they publicly said this

5 months + is few (0-3 everywhere on earth) weeks. He finds a contradiction that isn't there. Here are tax payer money wasted, the place where MP's should use their time, not in fkin matter that they have no jurisdiction over.
  • CuthbertC
    ddraver wrote:
    CuthbertC wrote:
    Brailsford in 2011:

Freeman in 2011:

You mean "Sky Rider failing to....Etc"

I know it's the internet and truth is barely relevant but personally i try to hold myself to some sort of honest standard

No, I mean team management failing to practice what they preach. Have you even read the BBC article?

Team management (including Brailsford) failed to report the incident to the UCI. Failure to report meant that the UCI could not enforce the policy in this instance. This clearly contradicts their previous statements in relation to the policy.

No one should be surprised about this incident given that Sky have a history of failing to live up to their own PR. We're a zero tolerance team, but let's sign Rogers the Ferrari client, Cioni, Julich and Knaven regardless. We're a transparent team, unless we need to hide behind medical confidentiality to hinder a UKAD investigation. We care about the welfare of our riders so much that we promote tramadol use for the sake of performance enhancement.
  • CuthbertC
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    CuthbertC wrote:
    Brailsford in 2011:

Freeman in 2011:

Since by Edmonson's own admission he acted alone and Sky ditched him as soon as they found out (although they didn't report it, which I feel they should have - although it sounds like a difficult one if he was as bad as he's suggested), I don't really see the contradiction there.

Ditching him doesn't constitute enforcement of the no needle policy.
  • blazing_saddles

You are very keen on telling people what they would have done as well as accusing them of answering questions you didn't ask.

I wasn't referring to you.
    Currently no usual suspects here.
  • blazing_saddles
    CuthbertC wrote:

No one is going to be holding Coca Cola to account for their abject failure in teaching the world to sing, however if it was revealed that the Co-operative bank invested in the international arms trade it would be reasonable to have issue with it.

Looks like somebody has read your posts, TWH. :wink:

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,154
    CuthbertC wrote:

He's some investigative journalist - took him nearly 24 hours to find what people on here had already said. I guess it shows how little he knows or cares about cycling in the normal course of his career.
  • Pross wrote:
    CuthbertC wrote:

He's some investigative journalist - took him nearly 24 hours to find what people on here had already said. I guess it shows how little he knows or cares about cycling in the normal course of his career.

Have you ever seen DRONE (sic) and TWH in the same room? Hmm? I rest my case
  • Scenario 1) Had Sky reported JE to the UCI at the time, the usual suspects would have been shouting about it being a cynical PR move, just smoke to cover up their doping.

Flags, banners and posters declaring JE's utter badness, Saddles. Nothing less.

I note with amusement many of the usual suspects out there who huffed and puffed that Sky had been mean to poor little Tiernan-Locke by standing him down when his ABP pinged.
  • blazing_saddles
    Regardless of Slater's slanted wording, it now looks as if Dan Roan has indeed thrown Josh under the press's Sky bus:-

https://twitter.com/mjshrimper/status/8 ... 6870107137
  • CuthbertC
    Regardless of Slater's slanted wording, it now looks as if Dan Roan has indeed thrown Josh under the press's Sky bus:-

How so? Edmondson made a a voluntary confession. Roan didn't put a gun to his head.
  • blazing_saddles
    CuthbertC wrote:

How so? Edmondson made a a voluntary confession. Roan didn't put a gun to his head.

He did? Do you have a link for that?

Regardless of how the story came out, I really hope that events don't end up driving Josh further into a dark place.
  • CuthbertC
    CuthbertC wrote:

Regardless of how the story came out, I really hope that events don't end up driving Josh further into a dark place.

A BBC journalist coerced a rider into making a confession? Is that what you're saying?
  • CuthbertC wrote:

Not sure truthers are so worried about that, Saddles
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    CuthbertC wrote:

Not sure truthers are so worried about that, Saddles

This is the only thing that matters, As someone who has suffered from depression, it is very easy to fall down very quickly and you can end up doing stupid and irrational things.

Hope Josh (and by his own admission) is getting all the help that he needs.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    rubertoe wrote:
    This is the only thing that matters, As someone who has suffered from depression, it is very easy to fall down very quickly and you can end up doing stupid and irrational things.

Don't come on here with your concern and proper perspective, as if anyone involved are real people with real feelings who sometimes get things wrong, with different shades of light and dark to deal with. This whole thing is just a morality tale for spectators to pin their prejudices and petty agendas on, and apply black-and-white judgements to, and don't you forget it.

*waves fist*
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Salsiccia1 wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

Don't come on here with your concern and proper perspective, as if anyone involved are real people with real feelings who sometimes get things wrong, with different shades of light and dark to deal with. This whole thing is just a morality tale for spectators to pin their prejudices and petty agendas on, and apply black-and-white judgements to, and don't you forget it.

*waves fist*

Gah!
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

*waves fist*

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

*waves fist*

Gah!

I forgot it was the interwebs.

The BBC article does make me laugh though..
    "a cocktail of vitamins"..... Isn't that pimms.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • blazing_saddles
    Roan's latest effort:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/39306190
    His opening line being:-
    A cycling anti-doping body (CADF) is investigating claims by British rider Josh Edmondson that Team Sky covered up his use of banned injections.
  • spam02
    spam02 Posts: 178

A cycling anti-doping body (CADF) is investigating claims by British rider Josh Edmondson that Team Sky covered up his use of banned injections.

I see anti-doping crusader Dan is in Dublin to watch the Rugby. I wonder if he'll ask questions about the large amount of rugby players currently on the UKAD ADV banned list compared to the 5 cyclists.
    - nope, I thought not.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    SPaM02 wrote:

I see anti-doping crusader Dan is in Dublin to watch the Rugby. I wonder if he'll ask questions about the large amount of rugby players currently on the UKAD ADV banned list compared to the 5 cyclists.
    - nope, I thought not.

He knows on which side his bread is buttered...
  • CuthbertC
    CuthbertC wrote:
    CuthbertC wrote:

A BBC journalist coerced a rider into making a confession? Is that what you're saying?

I'll take that as a no. Trying to cast Roan as a villain is a very poor attempt at deflecting attention away from Sky.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

*waves fist*

Quite.

Though I'd add that there is a large amount of humiliation avoidance. I think (and this is all relative, and not really in the context of a rider's depression) more fans were essentially let down or even humiliated by Armstrong's admission. We've all had the conversation for 10 years between 2002 and 2012 with some ardent fan where we went "chances are he did dope" "nuh uh, he's a cancer survivor. He does charity work. He's my idol".

Now of course you look a bit like a fool if you said that. So now there's a whole bunch who are desperate not to be fooled again, so call dope at everything just in case.

Some like to feel or hope that their humiliation wasn't unique. The glee which an (unsurprisingly) American forum has when they feel it's "Armstrong all over again with sky and Brits" is fairly strong.

There's also some evidence to suggest more broadly that humiliation is one of the triggers for troll like behaviour in people, so again, it's no surprise most of the pro race trolls are trolling about doping, and mainly about a team that in many ways does resemble US Postal (dominant, similar tactics, English speaking, new set of fans as a result of their success with little prior interest).

The thing is, if sky are caught doping, they think geezers like me will be humiliated like they were.

Only they're so hot for it, they can't see a more nuanced argument. They also can't see, because they haven't been watching for long enough, that for a lot of people, we can contextualise it, and have done already in the past, and move on.

So when (and they're mainly American) trolls come on here shouting "sky dope" until their keyboards groan under the pounding of the keyboard, they don't want people to really agree with them, unless it's to admit humiliation. They want the denial, because it validates their own previous mistake and offers them the chance to be the "I told you so" hero, and witness the humiliation of others.