First road bike - Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016

15678911»

Comments

• I ordered the x12 adapter from Tacx direct as the stud part that fits in the mech side has a 6.4mm dia as opposed to a 6.8mm for most thru axles. The 6.4mm version is not available in stores but they will supply direct.

https://flic.kr/p/2fpiZ4x

https://flic.kr/p/2fpiZ4x
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,845
    Anyone else starting to think about replacement chainrings, which typically means you may as well buy a whole new chainset?

Had a look at 50T teeth yesterday and there's definitely a "shark fin" developing, just under 7300 miles on the clock since May 2017.

What made me have a good look is Merlin have some promo deals on some Shimano components, including the R7000 compact chainset, making it ~£89 before adding at least an innertube to than use a £10 reward voucher code... Making it cheaper than the typical 105 5800 chainset price (£82 at Merlin). I could cut costs by buying a FC-RS510 chainset for ~£60 but I've no idea how it compares.

I've yet to google-fu, but I have a nagging feeling that R7000 chainsets don't play nicely out of the box with the 5800 front mech, can anyone confirm? The R7000 front mechs are also in the Merlin promo, so could always grab one in the same order.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • I’ve done around 6000 miles on mine and it’s fine, but I’m fairly fastidious about replacing chains.

As for it not playing with the front mech, I’m not sure why that would be, I thought all the latest Shimano kit was compatible?
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    The R7000 front mechs are also in the Merlin promo, so could always grab one in the same order.

Grab the R7000 FD if you can. Far superior to the 5800 since it now has the in-built cable tension gizmo that precludes the need for in-line or downtube barrel adjusters
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    Forgot about putting an order in until I had no time to complete order before work yesterday and when I got back home, the Shimano 10% promo had ended! I don't urgently need a new chainset (well replacement 50T chainring more than anything), so I'll just keep an eye out for deals to have it ready in the spares box.

As regards front mech, I've read reports of chain rub when using the 5800 mech with R7000 chainset. I currently sometimes use 50/28 (second largest sprocket) up gentler inclines and extremely rarely might use 34/12 (second smallest sprocket) for a brief easing of gradient on a steeper incline.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Anyone had a go at replacing the rear derailleur shifter cable on their Cube? Found mine sheared inside the white cable guide under the rubber hood yesterday afternoon, which might well explain why I only had limited shifting between the 32-18 sprockets on Sunday!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Anyone had a go at replacing the rear derailleur shifter cable on their Cube? Found mine sheared inside the white cable guide under the rubber hood yesterday afternoon, which might well explain why I only had limited shifting between the 32-18 sprockets on Sunday!
    I've had it replaced but didn't do it myself, a mate in my club did it for me. Said it wasn't too difficult competed to some internals he's had to deal with.
  • Having bought a full gear cable kit at Xmas, I ended up just winging my way through replacing the sheared inner last week, so I finally have 2x11 after months. Looking to just get through the next ~5 weeks as is, before finally installing the R7000 GS rear mech and HG700(?) 11-34 cassette I've had sitting in the spares box for ~14 months! :lol:

The bar tape is starting to look a bit dog-eared after ~35 months, but it's still ok to use, so I was wondering if anyone could tell me if either the gear or brake cables are internally routed through the supplied alloy bars?

... Thinking about maybe doing a bar "upgrade" to something carbon and maybe even with aero tops, if all cables are externally routed.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Just treated my Cube to a bit of an upgrade...

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,314
    What's your impression of the wheels so far? Been for a ride yet?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • lettingthedaysgoby
    lettingthedaysgoby Posts: 1,732
    edited June 2020
    pangolin said:

What's your impression of the wheels so far? Been for a ride yet?

I've literally only just fitted them, perfectly timed with it starting to rain for the first time in weeks. Brilliant. :D

They're LightBicycle R45 rims, with DT Swiss 350 hubs, Sapim CXRay spokes, brass nipples. Approx 1500g for the pair, so a decent weight saving over the Fulcrum 77's that came with it.

As soon as the weather sorts itself out I'll go for a ride...
  • lettingthedaysgoby
    lettingthedaysgoby Posts: 1,732
    edited June 2020
    First ride on the new wheels done.

First impressions: They look cool, sound cool, and I got a KOM*, so job done B):D

*obviously this was down to the wheels, nothing at all to do with all the lockdown enforced turbo/zwift sessions :*
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    Wondering if anyone has fitted 32mm GP5000s to their Cube, either on the supplied 19mm internal rim width Fulcrum Racing Sport 77 DBs, or any custom wheels?

28mm GP4000S IIs measure ~31.5mm and fit, while https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/ reckons the 32mm GP5000 measure 31.8mm on 17mm IRW wheels.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • I ran 28mm 4000's for a while and yes, they come up huge on the original rims but still had plenty room, so I'd assume 32mm 5000's (which by all reports that I've read come up to size accurately) will be fine.
  • courtmed
    courtmed Posts: 164
    long time bump here - looking at selling my one of these. it's in pretty good condition, I'd say 8/10, any idea how much I should be asking for it? I paid £1k. cheers all!
  • m1g
    m1g Posts: 11
    edited December 2020
    Hi! I'm wondering if anyone have tried 32mm tires on the Cube Attain? Looking for a "comfortable" bike that will be 85% road and 15% gravel...(so I will use 32mm Panaracer Gravel king, Schwalbe One, Continental 4 seasons or something like that... )
  • Ressurrecting this thread from the dead! >:)

I've had a 32mm GP5000 on the default rear Fulcrum (19mm internal rim width?) wheel for most of this year, initially it measured ~30mm and has now grown a bit to ~31mm.
    Has anyone managed to fit anything wider on the rear without a mudguard installed? Thinking about trying the 35mm Marathon Supreme I have on the Marasa, which measures small at ~33mm.

On my 58cm Cube, seat post clamp to top of saddle along middle of post is currently ~19cm using my carbon Selcof post upgrade, due to my short bow legs for my height and my knees often needing ~30 degrees bend at bottom dead centre.
    Is this way below the norm amount of exposed seat post and why I tend to struggle with saddle discomfort, even when using ~80PSI in the 32mm GP5000, with me weighing ~86Kg kitted out and the Cube weighing ~11Kg including two water bottles?

Maybe a big part of my comfort issues are really a deterioration in the tarmac on the western South Downs lanes I use, but as much as I'm tempted to make my next bike something more racey/aero, I'm getting increasingly swayed by the idea of my next bike being an adventure bike such as the Boardman ADV 8.9 or 9.0 for ~45mm tyres at low pressure for increased comfort!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Anyone else still using this purchase?

Using an adjustable 120mm stem these days to lower the tall front end when my back is ok; carbon post; Selle SMP Extra saddle; carbon Primavera 38cm bars; 25/32mm front/rear GP5000 tyres; 11-34 cassette which gets an awful lot of use at the gear end these days after my weight gain and lost fitness from long covid.

Had a pair of Vel RL 50 wheels to fit for the last ~14 months, but hardly used bike in '23 and not going to get much aero gains at sub 18mph.

================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • pangolin

Mine developed a small crack about 6 months ago so has been replaced

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • pangolin

A Dolan Tuono frameset, moved most stuff over from the cube (with a few teething troubles you can read about in this thread: https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/13120501/dolan-tuono-build-was-headset-struggles)

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Yep, still pleased with mine from 2020, no problems, only cables and brake pads, still enjoy riding it. Only upgrade is a Shockstem for the appalling road surfaces round here.