First road bike - Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016

Comments

• courtmed
    courtmed Posts: 164
    efc_barm wrote:
    Anyone using a turbo trainer with the Attain GTC Pro Disc? New to this so not sure of the thru axle compatability.

Yes I had to buy a thru axle adapter, this is the one i bought, works perfectly.

You have to use spacers to get it in the right position. If you remove your thru axle then lay alongside the adapter it's pretty easy to work out same spacing

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FJGWYDQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Are you using this with a Kinetic trainer? Just wondering if it'll work with other brands as it's the cheapest one I've seen by far
  • efc_barm
    efc_barm Posts: 20
    efc_barm wrote:
    Anyone using a turbo trainer with the Attain GTC Pro Disc? New to this so not sure of the thru axle compatability.

Yes I had to buy a thru axle adapter, this is the one i bought, works perfectly.

You have to use spacers to get it in the right position. If you remove your thru axle then lay alongside the adapter it's pretty easy to work out same spacing

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FJGWYDQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the reply. Would it work ok with something like this:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/elite-qubo-digital-smart-b-fe-c-trainer/
  • davesnothere
    davesnothere Posts: 620
    courtmed wrote:
    efc_barm wrote:

Are you using this with a Kinetic trainer? Just wondering if it'll work with other brands as it's the cheapest one I've seen by far

No, not a kinetic trainer. I'd say they would work with any trainer, they just have tapered cones on the end that sit in the cups
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • courtmed
    Brill, cheers
  • Passed 1000 miles on mine today :)

Still love it :)
  • davesnothere
    davesnothere Posts: 620
    Passed 1000 miles on mine today :)

Still love it :)

Coincidentally I'm on 976.2 miles on mine. Quick 24.8 miler after work tonight and I'll be there too :D
  • courtmed
    Has anyone used a frame bag with this? I purchased a large Restrap frame bag ahead of an upcoming long ride but it's just too long for it. Think it might be due to the sloping top tube - I've seen a few people say it fits on their bike with a horizontal one but not a sloping one

Just a word of warning if you're looking for one. Also, the Restrap bag seems quality - I'm going to return this one & order a medium sized one!
  • Another question...anyone fitted any gravel(ish) tyres to this? Starting to look in to getting some different tyres for Autumn/Winter to include a bit of gravel & just wondering how big I can go
  • courtmed wrote:
    Another question...anyone fitted any gravel(ish) tyres to this? Starting to look in to getting some different tyres for Autumn/Winter to include a bit of gravel & just wondering how big I can go

Not tried it myself, but I've read comments a while ago suggesting safe clearance for 31/32mm wide tyres.

The default 25mm Continental Grand Sport Races measure ~27mm bead to bead and the 28mm version on my Wazoo measure ~31mm bead to bead (which I will try fitting on the Cube soon as we go into autumn).

A safe bet should be 30mm G-One Speeds, but they aren't cheap!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Thanks, let me know how the Wazoo tyres go if you can. I was eyeing up some Panaracer Gravel King ones actually - might see if I can get them in 30 or 32
  • Literally just swapped the default front 25mm Grand Sport Race for a 28mm I had on the Wazoo until yesterday, ~4mm clearance @60PSI on each side and ~10mm clearance to the fork crown.

Just measured the sidewall-to-sidewall width on both sizes and visually, they are bang on stated size, yet I've seen online reports of +2 for the 700x25s and +3 for the 700x28s. I'm going to conclude those bigger measurements were taken on wheels with a larger internal rim width than the Fulcrum Racing Sport Disc's 17mm.

Shame I didn't think to measure the 28s yesterday while they were on the Wazoo's ~20.5mm internal rim width!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • stumpym4
    stumpym4 Posts: 216
    Looking for mudguard recommendations for my attain ? .. was hoping to get hold of the proper cube attain guards but none around and even cube dont know if or when they will be available again ?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    On One 853 single speed
    Pinnacle Arkose 2 - cross bike
    Pinnacle Ramin 3 plus - Bike packing bike
    Cube attain GTC Pro road bike - more relaxed road bike
    Giant scr1 road bike
  • stumpym4 wrote:
    Looking for mudguard recommendations for my attain ? .. was hoping to get hold of the proper cube attain guards but none around and even cube dont know if or when they will be available again ?

Jeez, this CubeGuard saga is dragging on!

I managed to get hold of the (now discontinued), old Cube Guards from Leisure Lakes. I dont actually know what the original recall was for, but mine have worked faultlessly all last Winter. You could try contact as many Cube stockists as you can in the off-chance they still have a set of the original guards lying about.
  • The guys at the Cube store in Durham told me that they have been told new guards are "imminent", whatever that means :D

Apparently the originals were recalled due to a high rate of failure on the bit that clamps the rear one to the seat stays.
  • I'm still on the trail of a Turbo Trainer. Going down to the LBS on Monday to have a look at a couple. Anyone using this bike with a wahoo kickr snap or tacx vortex?
  • For those of you still awaiting the new version of the mudguards- I wouldn't hold your breath. Just had this message from Cube in response to my enquiry:

"thank you for your message.
    Unfortunalety we cant give you an exact date because we are still testing it and trying to make it perfect and that just takes the time its takes I guess.
    We are trying our best to make it available as soon as possible. Hopefully early next year.

Best Regards,

Your CUBE TEAM"

So, looks like they'll be out just as winter finishes :mrgreen:
  • Gib90
    Gib90 Posts: 1
    I have fitted the older model guards (i think). and the front one is fine. but the rear one is a pain! always rubbing the tyre (I do have 28mm)

bit of a let down because its one reason I chose this over the agree. aw well live and learn!!!
  • Gib90 wrote:
    I have fitted the older model guards (i think). and the front one is fine. but the rear one is a pain! always rubbing the tyre (I do have 28mm)
    IIRC they were only spec'd as fitting up to 25mm though...
  • Anyone else got a tiny bit of fork wobble, that pre-loading with the top-cap bolt and then tightening the stem bolts, will not get rid of?

It really is a tiny wobble, but it shows up when applying brakes and shifting bike forwards and backwards. I can slide the spacers a tiny fraction side to side. Might try swapping out a spacer for one slightly deeper.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Hey,

I've previously asked in this thread about Turbo Trainers and the thru axle compatibility. Despite digging round for weeks on the net trying to get an answer I took a punt on the Tacx Vortex and the T1711 E-Thru adapter. Had my first ride on Zwift today and the wheel didn't fall off so looks to be good!

Thought I'd put it in here as I couldn't get a definitive answer from anyone about which I needed (Tacx do about 5/6 versions).
  • I'm also waiting for the mudguards from Cube to reappear. I've owned my GTC for 10 months or so, but haven't rode it since for a few months now.

Quite disappointed that the date keeps being put back and put back. Do people think these guards will ever see the light of day again?
    Commencal Meta AM
    Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc
  • funkybaj wrote:
    I'm also waiting for the mudguards from Cube to reappear. I've owned my GTC for 10 months or so, but haven't rode it since for a few months now.

Quite disappointed that the date keeps being put back and put back. Do people think these guards will ever see the light of day again?
    I just bought some clip on ones from SKS. Do the job and fit my 28mm tyres properly...
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,314
    Anyone else got a tiny bit of fork wobble, that pre-loading with the top-cap bolt and then tightening the stem bolts, will not get rid of?

It really is a tiny wobble, but it shows up when applying brakes and shifting bike forwards and backwards. I can slide the spacers a tiny fraction side to side. Might try swapping out a spacer for one slightly deeper.

Yeah I noticed this when I lowered my stem and then tightened everything up again. Did you solve it?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pangolin
    So after a short ride setting up bars, saddle etc, and trying to remove headset wobble, I notice this on the fork.

mwV9NnU.jpg

ApXtyrE.jpg

I certainly haven't banged it. Emailed Rutland and foolishly said I noticed it post set up, now they say as I've ridden it they can't help, but can offer £25 credit.

Do I keep pushing them? You can hardly inspect whether a bike is ok without getting on it for a short ride.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pangolin
    Update - they have agreed to replace the fork. Fair play Rutland.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pangolin wrote:
    Update - they have agreed to replace the fork. Fair play Rutland.

Yes, fair play. I've found them decent to deal with in the past
  • I just bought some clip on ones from SKS. Do the job and fit my 28mm tyres properly...

Interesting, thanks. Do you know which model SKS guards you've got?
    Commencal Meta AM
    Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc
  • funkybaj wrote:
    I just bought some clip on ones from SKS. Do the job and fit my 28mm tyres properly...

Interesting, thanks. Do you know which model SKS guards you've got?
    Raceblade XL Stealth
  • Raceblade XL Stealth

Ta, they look good. Do you have a pic of them on your bike at all?
    Commencal Meta AM
    Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc
  • funkybaj wrote:
    Raceblade XL Stealth

Ta, they look good. Do you have a pic of them on your bike at all?
    Apologies for the crap pic, but should give you an idea.

vivs0yL.jpg