First road bike - Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016

Comments

• The long hoods make the sizing slightly odd. When I first got my 53 the position of the bars made me think I'd need to get a longer stem. A couple of rides later and I'd realised I actually needed to go shorter - only by 1cm but that was enough to get everything where I wanted it.
  • Don't suppose it was anyone here I passed this morning heading up towards Boldmere? :D
  • benws1
    benws1 Posts: 415
    I've done quite a few miles on mine now and it's due back at the lbs for the free service on Saturday. I'm really enjoying riding it and it's a completely different experience to my old hybrid. It soaks up the miles with ease and I've already done my biggest ever single session bike rides on it (35 miles and 36 miles on the last two Saturday's).

Only things I have noticed in terms of niggles are as follows:

1. The gears are going out of sync and the front derailleur is rubbing the chain when on the biggest cog. This is to be expected on a new bike, of course, and some adjustment is needed.
    2. There is an annoying rattling noise coming from around the headset and handlebar/front of the bike area. I'm trying to figure out what it is, but still looking. It sounds like something is loose on the handlebars, but it isn't. It also sounds a bit plastic (sort of like when a bit of stone gets stuck in a tyre as it rotates).
    3. A little pin seems to be sticking out of the front brake calliper. It's like a small piece of metal with an angled bit on the end and is supposed to slot into the caliper more. I've tried pushing it in, but it won't budge. It's located between the two cylinder shaped bits of the calliper.
    4. The disc brake pads seem to rattle and there is a tinny sort of metallic noise coming from the brake areas when riding. I guess this is normal for disc brake bikes?

Apart from the above, I can't complain. To be honest, I can ignore the noises above anyway, just need to make sure they are normal. :)
  • corriebee1
    corriebee1 Posts: 390
    Can i be in the gang?!

Just ordered the Cube as a replacement for my Felt Z6 which came to a sad end on Monday :(

Bike being built at Rutland in Histon on Tuesday and very much looking forward to it! Pleased to see positive feedback here.
  • corriebee1 wrote:
    Can i be in the gang?!

Just ordered the Cube as a replacement for my Felt Z6 which came to a sad end on Monday :(

Bike being built at Rutland in Histon on Tuesday and very much looking forward to it! Pleased to see positive feedback here.

All are welcome. I think you'll be pleased with your choice :D

RIP to the broken Felt - sad to see old friends go :(
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • Quite an owners club we're building up here :D
  • corriebee1
    I'm a total newbie to discs, and have no idea on the systems and their maintenance. No doubt i'll be after some advice shortly!
  • RobiEli
    RobiEli Posts: 25
    corriebee1 wrote:
    I'm a total newbie to discs, and have no idea on the systems and their maintenance. No doubt i'll be after some advice shortly!

This is my first bike with discs. When I first got them I was kind of regretting not getting rim breaks because it seemed like such a pain to do maintenance on them but after a little while I got used to them and don't think I'll ever go back to rim breaks. I haven't gotten to a point where I would need to bleed them yet but if I do, I'll take it to the bike shop...no idea how to do that lol.
  • djone101
    djone101 Posts: 29
    I found the brakes were only average until they'd bedded in - now they're amazing. It gives you much more confidence approaching junctions in sketchy traffic.

Planning on riding 100 miles on it tomorrow - then sleeping all day Sunday.....
  • corriebee1
    Took delivery of my new CUBE this morning. Delighted.

Now.... It is a little heavier than my old Felt, which could probably be rectified by upograding the wheels. Has anyone considered this yet? The Racing 77's don't appear to have a claimed weight, but i suspect they're not far off the 2 kilo mark!
  • corriebee1 wrote:
    Took delivery of my new CUBE this morning. Delighted.

Now.... It is a little heavier than my old Felt, which could probably be rectified by upograding the wheels. Has anyone considered this yet? The Racing 77's don't appear to have a claimed weight, but i suspect they're not far off the 2 kilo mark!
    I'm strongly considering it. It's my 40th birthday in a couple of months and I'm thinking of treating myself...

Not sure what I'd go for though, any ideas?
  • courtmed
    courtmed Posts: 164
    I haven't considered it really, but I'd have a good look through the Hunt range if I was going to. They seem to get consistently good reviews in a variety of places
  • benws1
    Does anyone know what is covering the front derailleur cable as it exits the frame? I'm intrigued.

It looks like there is a thick outer that goes from the handlebars to the frame entry point. Where the cable comes out near the bottom bracket, there is a thinner outer (like a sheath) that covers the cable as it exits (maybe to stop it damaging the frame). It then goes to the front derailleur as bare cable.

Anyone know what this little bit of sheath is? Does it run the full length of the cable inside the frame?
  • TinRobot
    TinRobot Posts: 5
    New member here and new owner of the bike in part thanks to this thread - so thanks.

Haven't ridden in over 25 years and in a very short test run was amazed at it. Waiting for pedals, shoes, helmet, sensors etc to arrive so will miss this bank holiday but cannot wait to get started.
  • RobiEli
    TinRobot wrote:
    New member here and new owner of the bike in part thanks to this thread - so thanks.

Haven't ridden in over 25 years and in a very short test run was amazed at it. Waiting for pedals, shoes, helmet, sensors etc to arrive so will miss this bank holiday but cannot wait to get started.

Enjoy! This is also my first road bike after about 20 years. Road a hybrid for 3 years and just upgraded to my Cube....absolutely love it.
  • mike1-2
    mike1-2 Posts: 456
    Davesnothere. Road bikes are gay. What are you doing? :lol:
  • benws1
    Had an odd thing happen with my Cube the other day. The saddle titled forwards. I was out on a ride and noticed that it didn't feel the same. When I stopped and checked it, it had gained quite an angle.

I've put it back now using the odd (to me) bolt setup and torqued it to 7nm. Let's hope it stays there now.

The only thing I can think that caused it was me hitting quite a deep ridge in a road. It was on a chipped surface so I couldn't see it. The bike just bounced and around 10 seconds later made a popping sound.
  • Anyone here riding a 58cm frame, who is ~179cm (a fraction over 5'10") and a cycling (not trouser) inseam of ~81cm ( a fraction over 31.5")?

The 202mm headtube on the 58cm sounds great for my weakish lower back.

I've known about this £1k bargain for ~2 months, but wrote it off because I was fixated with wanting more tyre clearance than 30c, I was hoping to find something capable of at least 38c and proper hydraulic discs under £1k. I test rode a Boardman CX Team recently, but unless it was a poor PDI setup, I found the Sram Rival gear changes horrid/weird and the cost of replacement cassettes were an eye-watering ~£80!

So now there are only a few of these Attain GTC Pros left and in limited sizes, I've started to wonder about this one again. Sadly I seemed to have missed the boat entirely in seeing these at Totton's Hargroves and Rutland only have 58cm/60cm left.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • I'm fairly sure 32c tyres will fit, not quite the 38's you wanted but, still... :)
  • RobiEli
    I also had my heart set on some nice gravel grinding size tires (40c) for a long time and came across a great bargain on my GTC Pro......I'm not regretting my purchase. I love this bike and the speed of the 25c's...so I just have to stay on the roads more and skip the trails...no biggy.
  • Anyone here riding a 58cm frame, who is ~179cm (a fraction over 5'10") and a cycling (not trouser) inseam of ~81cm ( a fraction over 31.5")?

The 202mm headtube on the 58cm sounds great for my weakish lower back.

I think the 58cm might well work for you, they seem to size up a bit. I would usually ride a 54cm but between the 53cm and 56cm frames (I tried both) the 56 was a much better fit.

I'm 5'7'' long arms, deep pockets if that helps

33441410354_5126970d1e_z.jpg
  • RobiEli
    Maybe I'm abnormal lol but I'm 185cm and ride a 56 frame....I'm happy with the fit.
  • RobiEli wrote:
    Maybe I'm abnormal lol but I'm 185cm and ride a 56 frame....I'm happy with the fit.

56cm here @183cm (as are all my other bikes)
  • courtmed
    I'm 5ft 7 & also ride a 56cm
  • One size fits all! :D
  • Just to spoil things I'm 5'7" and went for the 53 :D
  • RobiEli
    Just to spoil things I'm 5'7" and went for the 53 :D
    Haha! nice!
  • jash15
    jash15 Posts: 8
    Hi guys!

I've got an Attain SL Disc 2016 (close enough right?), and need to replace the front derailleur cable.
    Does anyone know if the cable tubes run all the way through the frame, or are there just small sections where the cable enters and exits?
  • courtmed
    No idea sorry. Talking of technical things, I went out for a ride this morning & it felt fine to start with. Within a few miles it felt strange so I pulled over to take a look. My rear thru axle was basically hanging out :shock: lucky I checked it! How often do you guys tighten yours? I don't do mine all that often, but when I do I use a torque wrench etc so find it odd that it's loosened so much. Worst case scenario I guess is that it's something to do with the dropout instead. Got work to do all day but I'll take a look at that tonight & see if it looks as it should - fingers crossed!
  • Could anyone with a 58cm frame give me an idea of the saddle to bar drop, when the in-line pedal top to saddle top is ~90cm, please?

Anyone fitted 30c or 32c tyres?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo