First road bike - Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016

Comments

• RobiEli
    RobiEli Posts: 25
    Could anyone with a 58cm frame give me an idea of the saddle to bar drop, when the in-line pedal top to saddle top is ~90cm, please?

Anyone fitted 30c or 32c tyres?

I'm still running the stock tires so can't say from my own experience but found this searching on the web

"Bought this as a winter bike but can see myself using it alot really comfortable on poor surfaces and has clearance for 30mm tyres. Hydraulic brakes are excellent though the hoods are ugly. Highly recommended"

On the Cube Attain SL found this
    "Other wise it will easily take the clip on type guards. With guards it will take 28mm tyres or 32 without the guards."
    but not sure if the sizing is exactly the same as the GTC Pro.
  • TinRobot
    TinRobot Posts: 5
    courtmed wrote:
    No idea sorry. Talking of technical things, I went out for a ride this morning & it felt fine to start with. Within a few miles it felt strange so I pulled over to take a look. My rear thru axle was basically hanging out :shock: lucky I checked it! How often do you guys tighten yours? I don't do mine all that often, but when I do I use a torque wrench etc so find it odd that it's loosened so much. Worst case scenario I guess is that it's something to do with the dropout instead. Got work to do all day but I'll take a look at that tonight & see if it looks as it should - fingers crossed!

I replaced mine immediately with a Kinetic Thru Axle Fine Thread Adapter for use on a turbo trainer.

So far not had any issues with the bike - just amazed at how good it is for the price.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,845
    I might have joined the club in the last hour with a 58cm from Rutland for £900, after adding a water bottle and using "save100" off £1k. I've been looking at the 56s at Paul's and the 58s at Rutland through the weekend, I hope I made the right choice for my weakish lower back and my long torso for someone 5'10"! :D
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • I might have joined the club in the last hour with a 58cm from Rutland for £900, after adding a water bottle and using "save100" off £1k. I've been looking at the 56s at Paul's and the 58s at Rutland through the weekend, I hope I made the right choice for my weakish lower back and my long torso for someone 5'10"! :D

At 5'10" I'd have gone for the 56, but it's not the end of the world....
  • efc_barm
    efc_barm Posts: 20
    Hi,

I've just ordered one of these bikes. Ordered online as it was in the sale. Hopefully the size will be ok, 58 frame and I'm 183cm tall.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    My new 58cm from Rutland fits me brilliantly with the stem slammed, I'm 178cm tall with 83cm cycling inseam, my torso is relatively long for my size (more like a typical ~6'1" or so). The 56cm would have fitted me too I suspect (perhaps with a longer stem), but I wanted the front end high for the benefit of my weakish lower back, my 54cm Felt F5C fitted me great when bought in 2007 but after my back injury in 2008 the saddle-bar drop became a big issue.

90cm pedal top to saddle top looks like...
    J69XmN

(right-click image, open in new tab, I can't get google photo images embedding)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • efc_barm
    My new 58cm from Rutland fits me brilliantly with the stem slammed, I'm 178cm tall with 83cm cycling inseam, my torso is relatively long for my size (more like a typical ~6'1" or so). The 56cm would have fitted me too I suspect (perhaps with a longer stem), but I wanted the front end high for the benefit of my weakish lower back, my 54cm Felt F5C fitted me great when bought in 2007 but after my back injury in 2008 the saddle-bar drop became a big issue.

90cm pedal top to saddle top looks like...
    [img]<span%20class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://goo.gl/J69XmN</span>[/img]

(right-click image, open in new tab, I can't get google photo images embedding)

Thanks.....it actually came today. I think it's just about right although I've not ridden it yet (pedals only come tomorrow!). Looking at your picture I've got my seat a little higher which sounds about right.

Gutted though, I couldn't wait for the pedals so I found a couple of old ones in the garage and just put them in lightly. I just wanted to see the size when sitting on it properly. Felt fine so was pleased but I put a little bit of pressure on the left pedal and it pinged out. Think I've done a little bit of damage to the thread. Hoping I can still get the proper pedals on tomorrow :(
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    Fingers crossed regarding pedal thread!

I also tried some cheap Wellgo pedals for size without issue, finger tight, before I discovered the driveside Time ATAC XS was not seized on my Felt. But on Friday's ride, I kept hearing a click when in the 34T chainring, only when I got home I discovered the driveside pedal crank was catching the front derailleur's cable nipple! :oops:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • efc_barm
    Couldn't get the pedal on by hand and didn't want to force it and make it worse. Ran it up to the LBS this morning and they sorted it in a minute. Took it for a quick spin round the block earlier. New shoes are coming this week so hoping to get out on it properly at the weekend.
  • efc_barm
    Had my first ride yesterday. Got a puncture after 11 miles. I'm new to cycling so not a good start! Struggled to change the inner tube today. Punctured two inner tubes trying to get the tyre back on! Anyway, managed to get it done and then struggled to get the back wheel on. I'm not very handy mechanically but even my neighbour who is struggled too. Maybe I should stuck to computers because I'll never make a mechanic!
  • efc_barm wrote:
    Had my first ride yesterday. Got a puncture after 11 miles. I'm new to cycling so not a good start! Struggled to change the inner tube today. Punctured two inner tubes trying to get the tyre back on! Anyway, managed to get it done and then struggled to get the back wheel on. I'm not very handy mechanically but even my neighbour who is struggled too. Maybe I should stuck to computers because I'll never make a mechanic!
    Have a look on YouTube for the GCN (Global Cycling Network) channel. They have hundreds of great videos for beginners, including several with tips and tricks for changing tyres.

Also, have a look at this:

http://road.cc/content/feature/171353-h ... xle-wheels

The trick with the rear wheel is to make sure the chain is on the smallest sprocket when you start.
  • efc_barm
    efc_barm wrote:
    Have a look on YouTube for the GCN (Global Cycling Network) channel. They have hundreds of great videos for beginners, including several with tips and tricks for changing tyres.

Also, have a look at this:

http://road.cc/content/feature/171353-h ... xle-wheels

The trick with the rear wheel is to make sure the chain is on the smallest sprocket when you start.

Cheers, I did do that. I've watched loads of those videos and sussed getting the tyre back on as it was tight but getting the wheel on seemed painful. The tru axle seemed to make things more difficult the the usual quick release I used years ago.
  • efc_barm
    Also, quick question......my bike doesn't have that little screw as per the picture below. Is that right?

cube-attain-gtc-pro-disc-stays.jpg?itok=suTKNjME
  • jash15
    jash15 Posts: 8
    I didn't get that screw with mine either, made it a pain having the rear derailleur fall off the frame each time you take the back wheel off. Soon crashed and bent the derailleur hanger though, and got one with the replacement hanger :P

Does anyone else get an annoying rattle from their bike? I've had one for a while that's driving me mad :?
  • efc_barm
    Jash15 wrote:
    I didn't get that screw with mine either, made it a pain having the rear derailleur fall off the frame each time you take the back wheel off. Soon crashed and bent the derailleur hanger though, and got one with the replacement hanger :P

Does anyone else get an annoying rattle from their bike? I've had one for a while that's driving me mad :?

No rattle for me but then I've only had it a week. My rear derailleur fell off too when removing the wheel. I assume that screw should hold the rear derailleur in place if it was present and make putting the wheel back on that bit easier?
  • davesnothere
    davesnothere Posts: 620
    Mine does have the screw and hanger stays out when you take the wheel off

No rattles for me. 600 miles so far and no issues other than having to index gears due to a little cable stretch
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • efc_barm
    Rutland Cycling where I bought it online from have confirmed it should be there. Anyone know what exact screw it is? I'll need to get one.
  • courtmed
    courtmed Posts: 164
    Will have to check mine as that's where I got it from. Didn't they offer to supply it? Might be worth asking - I'd expect them to if it wasn't provided to start with
  • efc_barm
    courtmed wrote:
    Will have to check mine as that's where I got it from. Didn't they offer to supply it? Might be worth asking - I'd expect them to if it wasn't provided to start with

They said to take it to a LBS and they would reimburse me the cost.
  • courtmed
    courtmed Posts: 164
    Oh that's reasonable, cheers
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    On the whole loving my Cube, I've done ~230 miles since it arrived on 4th May, at an average speed as high as ~19.5mph and a longest ride of ~33 miles so far (both way beyond my expectations in early January, when I began a quest to try and get some fitness back at the age of 43, having done very little exercise besides intermittent cycle commuting and walking ~6-8 miles a day at work for over 12 years).

My one tiny niggle with the Cube is how sensitive the saddle is to where I place my ~78Kg lump on its fore-aft axis. There is quite a lot of flex around the centre of its length, which combined with unladen tilt angle, can put incredible discomfort on my perineum!

The saddle arrived with a tiny fraction of down tilt at the front, which would get a bit uncomfortable after ~20 miles, so on Sunday I tweaked the front end to get it level (and also moved the saddle forward on the rails so the "max" is now above the left edge of the lower rail) before doing a 33-mile ride.

OMG the agony of the last ~5 miles!

Maybe I have a tendency to slide forward on the seat while riding and when I try and shift back I'm paranoid about moving back too far. If I can get my sitbones back at least as far as where the saddle flares out, it should reduce the flex massively.

Am I right in thinking the front hex bolt of the saddle does little more than set the tilt?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • davesnothere
    I'm a good 10 kg heavier than you Nitrous and still using original saddle without any significant issues (did 70 miles last week and whilst i was a little uncomfortable toward the end the minute i was off the bike no issues)

Sounds like you're definitely sitting too far forward on the saddle to me. A visit to the lbs or local bike fit sounds a good idea?

The 2 hex bolts work in tandem to adjust the tilt, loosen one and tighten the other etc. Release both to slide the saddle back and forth on the rails.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    Has anyone weighed their bike yet? I'm thinking on getting one too and was interested in the weight of them.
  • jash15
    jash15 Posts: 8
    MugenSi wrote:
    Has anyone weighed their bike yet? I'm thinking on getting one too and was interested in the weight of them.

It says 9.0kg on the cube website, but doesn't say which size this is
  • djone101
    djone101 Posts: 29
    Mine weighed in at 9.2kg (Size 56)
  • MugenSi wrote:

Ooooh....I wouldn't weigh the thing if I were you :wink: :shock:
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    MugenSi wrote:

With analogue bathroom scales that have 0.5Kg increment markings, my 58cm weighs ~9Kg with a pair of Time ATAC XS Carbon pedals from 2007 fitted.

I did an intensive ~10-miler and an intensive ~21-miler over the last two days, without touching the Sunday saddle tweak, I had no discomfort issues thankfully. Could be I am now placing my sitbones in-line with the saddle flare, or it could simply be that Sunday's ~33-miler was the longest ride I've done since 2008 and so my posture got worse while pushing my current fitness levels to my limits.

What tyre pressures are the rest of you using, if still using the surprisingly decent 25c Grandsport Races? With a gross weight of ~92Kg all-in, I'm currently using ~105PSi on the rear and I tried slightly higher front of ~95PSI yesterday (have been as low as ~85PSI front), seemed fine on mostly decent tarmac.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Hey people,
    I was wondering if it’s possible to install internal di2 on the attain GTC. Currently I have the Aluminium version, but I could upgrade to the carbon frame for 300€. And since I’m a sucker for tech I definitely want to get electronic shifting in the future.

Thanks for your help!
  • efc_barm
    Anyone using a turbo trainer with the Attain GTC Pro Disc? New to this so not sure of the thru axle compatability.
  • davesnothere
    efc_barm wrote:
    Anyone using a turbo trainer with the Attain GTC Pro Disc? New to this so not sure of the thru axle compatability.

Yes I had to buy a thru axle adapter, this is the one i bought, works perfectly.

You have to use spacers to get it in the right position. If you remove your thru axle then lay alongside the adapter it's pretty easy to work out same spacing

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FJGWYDQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1